Ok, per group recommendations, we're updating to the AIW 9..

From our old 8500 aiw cards.

We should have them in a week, and ordered them for about $179 each shipped.

The next practical step up looked to be the 9700 pro, and they were about
$50-$60 more plus shipping, and for the price/performance that seemed to
steep for the difference.

Now I'll be able to run ut2004 with all the eye candy on, and at higher
resolutions, and Lightwave will run faster as well.

I'll report on the differences when they are installed.

BTW since I'm already running the latest Cat drivers, will I have to
uninstall them, or just swap the cards out? Are the 8500 drivers the same as
the 9600xt ones?

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:05:35 -0400, "Gareee©"
<gareeeNospam!@charter.net> wrote:

>From our old 8500 aiw cards.
>
>We should have them in a week, and ordered them for about $179 each shipped.
>
>The next practical step up looked to be the 9700 pro, and they were about
>$50-$60 more plus shipping, and for the price/performance that seemed to
>steep for the difference.
>
>Now I'll be able to run ut2004 with all the eye candy on, and at higher
>resolutions, and Lightwave will run faster as well.
>
>I'll report on the differences when they are installed.
>
>BTW since I'm already running the latest Cat drivers, will I have to
>uninstall them, or just swap the cards out? Are the 8500 drivers the same as
>the 9600xt ones?

You should be able to put the cards straight in, Gareee©. However, if
you want to get the best from your new cards, you would do well to
uninstall all the old software and drivers and reinstall (not exactly
the most major of procedures).

Possibly also a good idea to have a clear out, too, after uninstalling
- if you're using the 'High Speed' driver suite, just run the ATI -
Software Uninstall Utility, if you installed separate driver
components, dl and run cat-ininstaller.exe from
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

Also, delete the big ATI folder on your C: drive that the install
routine unpacks to.

DX 9.0c is just out, might be a good idea to install that first, and
the Catalyst 4.8 drivers, which are supposed to fix Ati's OGL
problems, should be out by the time you get your cards. Makes an even
better reason to uninistall and reinstall, doesn't it?

patrickp

Gareee© wrote:
> BTW if anyone else is reading this, ALWAYS turn OFF Norton Antivirus
> before updating or installing cat drivers.

Why? It's never caused me any problems.

Ben