"Read Only"

February 17, 2005 2:03:07 AM

All my folders are stuck on the "read only" attribute. When I try and
deactivate the "read only" button, and apply the attribute to all the folders
and files, (as the Administrator), it automatically goes back to "read only".

Any ideas??

More about : read

February 17, 2005 8:01:47 AM

Craig wrote:

> All my folders are stuck on the "read only" attribute. When I try and
> deactivate the "read only" button, and apply the attribute to all the
> folders and files, (as the Administrator), it automatically goes back
> to "read only".
>
> Any ideas??

That's standard for XP and doesn't have any meaning. Don't worry about
it unless you are having a problem doing something. If the latter, post
back with all details for more help.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Thanks Malke.

I was trying to install a program and believe that the read-only attribute
was blocking access to an IDAPI.CNF file. I uninstalled and deleted an old
"security booster" application, which may have also been interfering and that
resolved the problem.

"Malke" wrote:

> Craig wrote:
>
> > All my folders are stuck on the "read only" attribute. When I try and
> > deactivate the "read only" button, and apply the attribute to all the
> > folders and files, (as the Administrator), it automatically goes back
> > to "read only".
> >
> > Any ideas??
>
> That's standard for XP and doesn't have any meaning. Don't worry about
> it unless you are having a problem doing something. If the latter, post
> back with all details for more help.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

February 18, 2005 8:58:46 AM

Craig wrote:

> Thanks Malke.
>
> I was trying to install a program and believe that the read-only
> attribute was blocking access to an IDAPI.CNF file. I uninstalled and
> deleted an old "security booster" application, which may have also
> been interfering and that resolved the problem.

Yes, it sounds like the "security booster" program was the culprit. As
an aside, don't install cr*p like "security boosters", memory
"enhancers", and the like. They are usually a) filled with spyware; b)
harmful to your system; c) don't do anything useful. A properly
configured and maintained XP system doesn't need any of that.

I'm glad you got it sorted, and thanks for taking the time to post the
solution.

Malke
--
!