"Read Only"

All my folders are stuck on the "read only" attribute. When I try and
deactivate the "read only" button, and apply the attribute to all the folders
and files, (as the Administrator), it automatically goes back to "read only".

Any ideas??
3 answers Last reply
More about read only

    Craig wrote:

    > All my folders are stuck on the "read only" attribute. When I try and
    > deactivate the "read only" button, and apply the attribute to all the
    > folders and files, (as the Administrator), it automatically goes back
    > to "read only".
    >
    > Any ideas??

    That's standard for XP and doesn't have any meaning. Don't worry about
    it unless you are having a problem doing something. If the latter, post
    back with all details for more help.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks Malke.

    I was trying to install a program and believe that the read-only attribute
    was blocking access to an IDAPI.CNF file. I uninstalled and deleted an old
    "security booster" application, which may have also been interfering and that
    resolved the problem.

    Craig wrote:

    > Thanks Malke.
    >
    > I was trying to install a program and believe that the read-only
    > attribute was blocking access to an IDAPI.CNF file. I uninstalled and
    > deleted an old "security booster" application, which may have also
    > been interfering and that resolved the problem.

    Yes, it sounds like the "security booster" program was the culprit. As
    an aside, don't install cr*p like "security boosters", memory
    "enhancers", and the like. They are usually a) filled with spyware; b)
    harmful to your system; c) don't do anything useful. A properly
    configured and maintained XP system doesn't need any of that.

    I'm glad you got it sorted, and thanks for taking the time to post the
    solution.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User