Spyware possible being on one account and not the other

Is it possible and if so why doesn't my norton05 ,spysweeper trial ver. and
ad-aware se pro. detect it from my administrator account when I run them? I
run the scans and they dont pick up anything yet the browser in the guest
account is jacked to some site. I try changing the home setting for the
browser and it always reverts back to the same one. I should also should
mention that I didn't do a spysweeper scan on the guest account yet because
when I downloaded it, it was on the administration account. I figured if I
did a scan from the adminstration account, I'd be scanning the whole
computer. Maybe the scanners are missing something? If anybody can shed some
light on this in lamen(did I spell that right?)terms it would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about spyware account other

    It's not only possible, it's fairly common. You need to run the spyware
    scans under each user when a machine is heavily infected. The main reason
    for this is the fact that the individual user registry hive
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER may contain references to parasites. Unfortunately none
    of the spyware scanners are foolproof and are particularly prone to fail if
    a parasite is not loaded when scanning. I've seen problems with this
    especially with some of the severe parasites that may generate randomly
    named files. Scanners will often fail to detect them.
    --

    "Lord Kyle" <Lord Kyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible and if so why doesn't my norton05 ,spysweeper trial ver.
    > and
    > ad-aware se pro. detect it from my administrator account when I run them?
    > run the scans and they dont pick up anything yet the browser in the guest
    > account is jacked to some site. I try changing the home setting for the
    > browser and it always reverts back to the same one. I should also should
    > mention that I didn't do a spysweeper scan on the guest account yet
    > because
    > when I downloaded it, it was on the administration account. I figured if I
    > did a scan from the adminstration account, I'd be scanning the whole
    > computer. Maybe the scanners are missing something? If anybody can shed
    > some
    > light on this in lamen(did I spell that right?)terms it would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks

    Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. It confirmed what I suspected.

    "Lord Kyle" wrote:

    > Is it possible and if so why doesn't my norton05 ,spysweeper trial ver. and
    > ad-aware se pro. detect it from my administrator account when I run them? I
    > run the scans and they dont pick up anything yet the browser in the guest
    > account is jacked to some site. I try changing the home setting for the
    > browser and it always reverts back to the same one. I should also should
    > mention that I didn't do a spysweeper scan on the guest account yet because
    > when I downloaded it, it was on the administration account. I figured if I
    > did a scan from the adminstration account, I'd be scanning the whole
    > computer. Maybe the scanners are missing something? If anybody can shed some
    > light on this in lamen(did I spell that right?)terms it would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks

    Oops I think I answered my own post. Anyway thanks a lot for helping me out
    there with my question. Much appreciated.

    "GTS" wrote:

    > It's not only possible, it's fairly common. You need to run the spyware
    > scans under each user when a machine is heavily infected. The main reason
    > for this is the fact that the individual user registry hive
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER may contain references to parasites. Unfortunately none
    > of the spyware scanners are foolproof and are particularly prone to fail if
    > a parasite is not loaded when scanning. I've seen problems with this
    > especially with some of the severe parasites that may generate randomly
    > named files. Scanners will often fail to detect them.
    > --
    >
    > "Lord Kyle" <Lord Kyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible and if so why doesn't my norton05 ,spysweeper trial ver.
    > > and
    > > ad-aware se pro. detect it from my administrator account when I run them?
    > > run the scans and they dont pick up anything yet the browser in the guest
    > > account is jacked to some site. I try changing the home setting for the
    > > browser and it always reverts back to the same one. I should also should
    > > mention that I didn't do a spysweeper scan on the guest account yet
    > > because
    > > when I downloaded it, it was on the administration account. I figured if I
    > > did a scan from the adminstration account, I'd be scanning the whole
    > > computer. Maybe the scanners are missing something? If anybody can shed
    > > some
    > > light on this in lamen(did I spell that right?)terms it would be greatly
    > > appreciated. Thanks

Windows XP