SQL Server Enterprise Manager blcoked by Firewall?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I can't connect to the SQL Server instance on my own machin (XP SP2), form
other machines, even when I've logged into that machine as myseldf nor can
colleagues, who are also Domain Admins. The Domain Admins have admin rights
to my SQL server instance, and I am explicitly listed as an administrator
therefore the is no reason that I can see that there should be this problem.

The error message I am getting is:

"A connection could not be established to Servername.

Reason: SQL Server does not exist or access denied"

This is a recent occurance - previously I could do this with no problems at
all...

Recently a colleague has tighten up security and has controlled the windows
firewall via a Group Policy. I was wondering if this might be the problem??
Or is it a problem with the SQL security. I have the power to override this
if I know what ports need to be opened...

Any thoughts??

--
cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk
[remove the obvious bits]

    Hi

    Look at this for an explaination on what occured and why you need to do:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/administration/2000/security/winxpsp2faq.asp

    Regards
    Mike

    "CJM" wrote:

    > I can't connect to the SQL Server instance on my own machin (XP SP2), form
    > other machines, even when I've logged into that machine as myseldf nor can
    > colleagues, who are also Domain Admins. The Domain Admins have admin rights
    > to my SQL server instance, and I am explicitly listed as an administrator
    > therefore the is no reason that I can see that there should be this problem.
    >
    > The error message I am getting is:
    >
    > "A connection could not be established to Servername.
    >
    > Reason: SQL Server does not exist or access denied"
    >
    > This is a recent occurance - previously I could do this with no problems at
    > all...
    >
    > Recently a colleague has tighten up security and has controlled the windows
    > firewall via a Group Policy. I was wondering if this might be the problem??
    > Or is it a problem with the SQL security. I have the power to override this
    > if I know what ports need to be opened...
    >
    > Any thoughts??
    >

    > --
    > cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk
    > [remove the obvious bits]

Security Microsoft SQL Server Windows XP