  • Packard Bell
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
December 28, 2004 6:36:15 PM

I have recently been having trouble playing video on my computer.
It is of the .AVI format and uses a DIVIX codec.
But when i play the video off my cd drive (or hard drive) i get more of
a slide show with music.
I increased the buffer size on my cd drive to 20 seconds with no
change.
I fixed the problem with norton system works which was using all my cpu
time.
I used a different pc with the same amount of ram, os, video card, etc.
But it was 200 mhz faster and it worked fine.
I have noticed that when i run windows media player just after starting
up the computer, i have only 0.1-0.6MB of ram free.
I have 128 MB of ram and a 256 KB cache.
My pc is only 400 mhz but that has not stopped it before from playing
videos.
Any help?

More about : vodeo playback problems

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 9:09:34 PM

okay, i got your letter.
I am running windows media player 9 (don't know if it is the latest).
I am running windoes 98 se and the videos are not on dvd and like to
play on windows media player.
I tried quicktime and i tried the DIVIX player too but it swa still
like a slide show and the video fell behind eventually.
Would ram be the problem?
if so, what is hogging it all?
It can't all be programs.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 3:18:27 PM

<jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
> okay, i got your letter.
> I am running windows media player 9 (don't know if it is the
> latest).
> I am running windoes 98 se and the videos are not on dvd and like to
> play on windows media player.
> I tried quicktime and i tried the DIVIX player too but it swa still
> like a slide show and the video fell behind eventually.
> Would ram be the problem?
> if so, what is hogging it all?
> It can't all be programs.

If you are trying to run videos on your system using Media Player (Ie:
Cnn News videos, launch.com movies etc.) then it depends on the speed
of your processor and amount of RAM on the system. 128 MB is not
really enough for videos on the net with a 400MHz. and you can expect
it to be a slower process. Also if its under dial up that will be even
worse. If you have a high speed connection the videos should play OK
and it again depends on the settings you are using for that Video card
and for screen refresh rate etc.

In the older systems they had a movie called goodtimes.avi which
tested the ability of your system to play streaming media and videos.
If you go to the manufacturers web site you may be able to test your
video and then follow the recommendations that are provided after that
test has run.

Elector
December 29, 2004 10:36:05 PM

i found the problem.
After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
todays uses.
Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
synchronizing my monitor.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 10:36:43 PM

i found the problem.
After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
todays uses.
Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
synchronizing my monitor
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 10:36:51 PM

i found the problem.
After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
todays uses.
Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
synchronizing my monitor
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:19:26 PM

i found the problem.
After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
todays uses.
Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
synchronizing my monitor.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:19:44 PM

i found the problem.
After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
todays uses.
Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
synchronizing my monitor.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 7:36:31 AM

>i found the problem.
> After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran
> the
> movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
> I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
> todays uses.
> Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
> Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum
> on
> synchronizing my monitor.

A monitor runs at 60 MHz. or more to achieve the best performance so
not knowing via your post what monitor refresh rate it should be I
would say that I would go with system defaults. Your video card
determines what your maximum refresh rate is and I would also set it
to the default for the monitor or auto detect if that is an option.

I will look up your specs and see what is needed. I will however have
to look at what velix left me as a standard.

Elector
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 11:28:37 PM

i found the problem.
After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
todays uses.
Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
synchronizing my monitor.
January 3, 2005 9:20:26 PM

<jeptha@telus.net> wrote "i found the problem. After running a program which
recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the movie off cd i noticed that the
cpu usage was maxed. I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not
fast enough for todays uses. Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
synchronizing my monitor."

Jeptha: That can be a tough realization, but you're correct. New PCs often
cost less than upgrading our old dogs. If you're anywhere close to the
Alienware people - maybe they have some showroom deals, etc.? Good luck!
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:53:06 AM

i will try a buck-a-day deal.
They cost $45 a month for one to three years and come with some stuff
that i need for selling stuff on ebay.
!