serious vodeo playback problems

I have recently been having trouble playing video on my computer.
It is of the .AVI format and uses a DIVIX codec.
But when i play the video off my cd drive (or hard drive) i get more of
a slide show with music.
I increased the buffer size on my cd drive to 20 seconds with no
change.
I fixed the problem with norton system works which was using all my cpu
time.
I used a different pc with the same amount of ram, os, video card, etc.
But it was 200 mhz faster and it worked fine.
I have noticed that when i run windows media player just after starting
up the computer, i have only 0.1-0.6MB of ram free.
I have 128 MB of ram and a 256 KB cache.
My pc is only 400 mhz but that has not stopped it before from playing
videos.
Any help?
11 answers Last reply
More about serious vodeo playback problems
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    okay, i got your letter.
    I am running windows media player 9 (don't know if it is the latest).
    I am running windoes 98 se and the videos are not on dvd and like to
    play on windows media player.
    I tried quicktime and i tried the DIVIX player too but it swa still
    like a slide show and the video fell behind eventually.
    Would ram be the problem?
    if so, what is hogging it all?
    It can't all be programs.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    <jeptha@telus.net> wrote in message
    > okay, i got your letter.
    > I am running windows media player 9 (don't know if it is the
    > latest).
    > I am running windoes 98 se and the videos are not on dvd and like to
    > play on windows media player.
    > I tried quicktime and i tried the DIVIX player too but it swa still
    > like a slide show and the video fell behind eventually.
    > Would ram be the problem?
    > if so, what is hogging it all?
    > It can't all be programs.

    If you are trying to run videos on your system using Media Player (Ie:
    Cnn News videos, launch.com movies etc.) then it depends on the speed
    of your processor and amount of RAM on the system. 128 MB is not
    really enough for videos on the net with a 400MHz. and you can expect
    it to be a slower process. Also if its under dial up that will be even
    worse. If you have a high speed connection the videos should play OK
    and it again depends on the settings you are using for that Video card
    and for screen refresh rate etc.

    In the older systems they had a movie called goodtimes.avi which
    tested the ability of your system to play streaming media and videos.
    If you go to the manufacturers web site you may be able to test your
    video and then follow the recommendations that are provided after that
    test has run.

    Elector
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    i found the problem.
    After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
    movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
    I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
    todays uses.
    Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
    Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
    synchronizing my monitor.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    i found the problem.
    After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
    movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
    I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
    todays uses.
    Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
    Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
    synchronizing my monitor
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    i found the problem.
    After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
    movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
    I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
    todays uses.
    Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
    Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
    synchronizing my monitor
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    i found the problem.
    After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
    movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
    I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
    todays uses.
    Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
    Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
    synchronizing my monitor.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    i found the problem.
    After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
    movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
    I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
    todays uses.
    Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
    Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
    synchronizing my monitor.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    >i found the problem.
    > After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran
    > the
    > movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
    > I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
    > todays uses.
    > Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
    > Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum
    > on
    > synchronizing my monitor.

    A monitor runs at 60 MHz. or more to achieve the best performance so
    not knowing via your post what monitor refresh rate it should be I
    would say that I would go with system defaults. Your video card
    determines what your maximum refresh rate is and I would also set it
    to the default for the monitor or auto detect if that is an option.

    I will look up your specs and see what is needed. I will however have
    to look at what velix left me as a standard.

    Elector
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    i found the problem.
    After running a program which recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the
    movie off cd i noticed that the cpu usage was maxed.
    I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not fast enough for
    todays uses.
    Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
    Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
    synchronizing my monitor.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    <jeptha@telus.net> wrote "i found the problem. After running a program which
    recovered 72 mb of ram and then i ran the movie off cd i noticed that the
    cpu usage was maxed. I finally faced the fact now that my computer is not
    fast enough for todays uses. Oh well, better start looking for a better pc.
    Now that this question has been answered, please read my other forum on
    synchronizing my monitor."

    Jeptha: That can be a tough realization, but you're correct. New PCs often
    cost less than upgrading our old dogs. If you're anywhere close to the
    Alienware people - maybe they have some showroom deals, etc.? Good luck!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    i will try a buck-a-day deal.
    They cost $45 a month for one to three years and come with some stuff
    that i need for selling stuff on ebay.

Packard Bell Computers