HDTV Wonder Arrives

I thought by now someone would have posted about ATI shipping HDTV
Wonders. Last week I received an email that the HDTV Wonders were in stock
and would ship in 3-4 weeks. 4 days ago another email says their shipping
it. It arrived today.
Never imagined it would arrive so soon. Having only a AIW 128 pro in my
P4 system now, it needed to be upgraded. Unfortunately didn't get the new
video card (AIW9600XT) and a bigger power supply ordered until yesterday. So
it will be next week before I can try it out.
It just looks like standard ATI hardware the only unusual thing about it
is the antennae. It's a table top. I live 30-60 miles from the transmitters
so may need to get creative about placing it.
Anyone else going this route?

T Shadow wrote:

> I thought by now someone would have posted about ATI shipping HDTV
> Wonders. Last week I received an email that the HDTV Wonders were in stock
> and would ship in 3-4 weeks. 4 days ago another email says their shipping
> it. It arrived today.
> Never imagined it would arrive so soon. Having only a AIW 128 pro in
> my
> P4 system now, it needed to be upgraded. Unfortunately didn't get the new
> video card (AIW9600XT) and a bigger power supply ordered until yesterday.
> So it will be next week before I can try it out.
> It just looks like standard ATI hardware the only unusual thing about
> it
> is the antennae. It's a table top. I live 30-60 miles from the
> transmitters
> so may need to get creative about placing it.
> Anyone else going this route?

Personally I'm waiting to see if anybody can tell me if the tuner is any
better than the one in the Dvico Fusion.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

If you can still send the 9600xt back... I would.

Do a google group search for AIW cards and HDTV.. many customers including
me have massive overscan problems on their HDTV.. so bad it's unuseable.

ATI is aware of the problem.. but keeps on pumping them out.

Don't want to rain on your parade.. I wish someone had warned me.

Drew Carter wrote:

> If you can still send the 9600xt back... I would.
>
> Do a google group search for AIW cards and HDTV.. many customers including
> me have massive overscan problems on their HDTV.. so bad it's unuseable.
>
> ATI is aware of the problem.. but keeps on pumping them out.
>
> Don't want to rain on your parade.. I wish someone had warned me.

Sorry, but I don't have a 9600XT, I have a 9800 Pro and an 8500 DV, and both
of them work just fine with my HDTV. If they don't work with yours then I
am forced to conclude that the cause is EBKAC.

Drew Carter wrote:

> If you can still send the 9600xt back... I would.
>
> Do a google group search for AIW cards and HDTV.. many customers including
> me have massive overscan problems on their HDTV.. so bad it's unuseable.
>
> ATI is aware of the problem.. but keeps on pumping them out.
>
> Don't want to rain on your parade.. I wish someone had warned me.

Oh, by the way, since you seem to be one of those idiots who thinks that his
message is so important that he must repeat it over and over and over again
even to people who have already told him that they don't give a damn,
<plonk>.

"Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you can still send the 9600xt back... I would.

>PLONK!<

> T Shadow wrote:
>
> > I thought by now someone would have posted about ATI shipping HDTV
> > Wonders. Last week I received an email that the HDTV Wonders were in
stock
> > and would ship in 3-4 weeks. 4 days ago another email says their
shipping
> > it. It arrived today.
> > Never imagined it would arrive so soon. Having only a AIW 128 pro in
> > my
> > P4 system now, it needed to be upgraded. Unfortunately didn't get the
new
> > video card (AIW9600XT) and a bigger power supply ordered until
yesterday.
> > So it will be next week before I can try it out.
> > It just looks like standard ATI hardware the only unusual thing
about
> > it
> > is the antennae. It's a table top. I live 30-60 miles from the
> > transmitters
> > so may need to get creative about placing it.
> > Anyone else going this route?
>
> Personally I'm waiting to see if anybody can tell me if the tuner is any
> better than the one in the Dvico Fusion.
>
> --
> --John

I'm only going to have the ATI and have never seen the Dvico. The possiblity
of ending up with unsupported hardware make me nervous.
It remains to be seen but I've been told that with digital, unlike
analog, you either get a good signal or nothing. Considering the large
resolution of 1080i, the display device may be the most important part for
picture quality

T Shadow wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> T Shadow wrote:
>>
>> > I thought by now someone would have posted about ATI shipping HDTV
>> > Wonders. Last week I received an email that the HDTV Wonders were in
> stock
>> > and would ship in 3-4 weeks. 4 days ago another email says their
> shipping
>> > it. It arrived today.
>> > Never imagined it would arrive so soon. Having only a AIW 128 pro
>> > in my
>> > P4 system now, it needed to be upgraded. Unfortunately didn't get the
> new
>> > video card (AIW9600XT) and a bigger power supply ordered until
> yesterday.
>> > So it will be next week before I can try it out.
>> > It just looks like standard ATI hardware the only unusual thing
> about
>> > it
>> > is the antennae. It's a table top. I live 30-60 miles from the
>> > transmitters
>> > so may need to get creative about placing it.
>> > Anyone else going this route?
>>
>> Personally I'm waiting to see if anybody can tell me if the tuner is any
>> better than the one in the Dvico Fusion.
>>
>> --
>> --John
>
> I'm only going to have the ATI and have never seen the Dvico. The
> possiblity of ending up with unsupported hardware make me nervous.
> It remains to be seen but I've been told that with digital, unlike
> analog, you either get a good signal or nothing. Considering the large
> resolution of 1080i, the display device may be the most important part for
> picture quality

It's not quite that simple. You either have picture or no picture, but
sometimes you have picture in bursts--you'll get a good frame and then that
stays frozen for a while then you'll get another one. And too much signal
can be as bad as too little. The first generation HD tuners did not deal
well with multipath either--whenever a plane flies over I lose the picture
entirely on some stations.

FWIW, the possibility of ending up with unsupported hardware with the HDTV
Wonder is greater than with the Dvico--the Dvico is basically just an
off-the-shelf tuner and an off-the-shelf video processor chip and an MPEG-2
software decoder--there are third-party drivers for it and even Linux
support in the works, so even if Dvico folds, which doesn't seem likely, it
should be well supported into the foreseeable future.

The thing that would motivate me to go to the ATI would be a tuner that
dealt well with multipath and had enough sensitify to pick up the one Fox
station in the area without the multiple-antenna array that I have to use
with the Dvico.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you can still send the 9600xt back... I would.
>
> Do a google group search for AIW cards and HDTV.. many customers including
> me have massive overscan problems on their HDTV.. so bad it's unuseable.
>
> ATI is aware of the problem.. but keeps on pumping them out.
>
> Don't want to rain on your parade.. I wish someone had warned me.
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > T Shadow wrote:
> >
> > > I thought by now someone would have posted about ATI shipping HDTV
> > > Wonders. Last week I received an email that the HDTV Wonders were in
> stock
> > > and would ship in 3-4 weeks. 4 days ago another email says their
> shipping
> > > it. It arrived today.
> > > Never imagined it would arrive so soon. Having only a AIW 128 pro
in
> > > my
> > > P4 system now, it needed to be upgraded. Unfortunately didn't get the
> new
> > > video card (AIW9600XT) and a bigger power supply ordered until
> yesterday.
> > > So it will be next week before I can try it out.
> > > It just looks like standard ATI hardware the only unusual thing
> about
> > > it
> > > is the antennae. It's a table top. I live 30-60 miles from the
> > > transmitters
> > > so may need to get creative about placing it.
> > > Anyone else going this route?
> >
> > Personally I'm waiting to see if anybody can tell me if the tuner is any
> > better than the one in the Dvico Fusion.
> >
> > --
> > --John
> > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Look at this. http://www.ati.com/support/faq/hdtvuserdefinedmodes.html

Now show me where I said I was using the HDTV adapter or an HDTV monitor.

Thank you for that link, I've been there many times in the past week, it
seems the only people who have had any luck have used Powerstrip and wierd
timings.

You have been 10 times more helpfull than ATI support.
"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If you can still send the 9600xt back... I would.
> >
> > Do a google group search for AIW cards and HDTV.. many customers
including
> > me have massive overscan problems on their HDTV.. so bad it's unuseable.
> >
> > ATI is aware of the problem.. but keeps on pumping them out.
> >
> > Don't want to rain on your parade.. I wish someone had warned me.
> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

HDTV
> > stock
> > shipping
> in
> > new
> > yesterday.
> > about
> > >
> > > Personally I'm waiting to see if anybody can tell me if the tuner is
any
> > > better than the one in the Dvico Fusion.
> > >
> > > --
> > > --John
> > > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> > > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>
> Look at this. http://www.ati.com/support/faq/hdtvuserdefinedmodes.html
>
> Now show me where I said I was using the HDTV adapter or an HDTV monitor.

Unfortunately the custom HDTV settings seems to only apply to the AIW9800 -
if I try to use them on my AIW9600 my system just hangs. and then locks up.

Thanks again.
"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If you can still send the 9600xt back... I would.
> >
> > Do a google group search for AIW cards and HDTV.. many customers
including
> > me have massive overscan problems on their HDTV.. so bad it's unuseable.
> >
> > ATI is aware of the problem.. but keeps on pumping them out.
> >
> > Don't want to rain on your parade.. I wish someone had warned me.
> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

HDTV
> > stock
> > shipping
> in
> > new
> > yesterday.
> > about
> > >
> > > Personally I'm waiting to see if anybody can tell me if the tuner is
any
> > > better than the one in the Dvico Fusion.
> > >
> > > --
> > > --John
> > > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> > > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>
> Look at this. http://www.ati.com/support/faq/hdtvuserdefinedmodes.html
>
> Now show me where I said I was using the HDTV adapter or an HDTV monitor.

> >snip>>

> > I'm only going to have the ATI and have never seen the Dvico. The
> > possiblity of ending up with unsupported hardware make me nervous.
> > It remains to be seen but I've been told that with digital, unlike
> > analog, you either get a good signal or nothing. Considering the large
> > resolution of 1080i, the display device may be the most important part
for
> > picture quality
>
> It's not quite that simple. You either have picture or no picture, but
> sometimes you have picture in bursts--you'll get a good frame and then
that
> stays frozen for a while then you'll get another one. And too much signal
> can be as bad as too little. The first generation HD tuners did not deal
> well with multipath either--whenever a plane flies over I lose the picture
> entirely on some stations.

Thats one of the things I was wondering about. My cable box does this every
once in a while and gets artifacts too(my tv is analog). I'll assume you
live in the city near an airport. I live in the sticks television
transmitter wise. I get about 6 analog stations well enough to watch with
rabbit ears. Signal strength and interference will be my main concerns.

> FWIW, the possibility of ending up with unsupported hardware with the HDTV
> Wonder is greater than with the Dvico--the Dvico is basically just an
> off-the-shelf tuner and an off-the-shelf video processor chip and an
MPEG-2
> software decoder--there are third-party drivers for it and even Linux
> support in the works, so even if Dvico folds, which doesn't seem likely,
it
> should be well supported into the foreseeable future.

Until ATI ships the HDTV Wonder in quantity you are probably right. Its
after the foreseeable future that bothers me. I have a Channel Surfer TV
card in a PII system. I tried putting it into a PIII system with different
chipset and it does not work. Possibly there is third-party software for
this but it was easier to put it back in the PII system. Third-party
software usually ends up being a hassle in its self. YMMV.

> The thing that would motivate me to go to the ATI would be a tuner that
> dealt well with multipath and had enough sensitify to pick up the one Fox
> station in the area without the multiple-antenna array that I have to use
> with the Dvico.

Looks like were at opposite ends of the antennae problem.

> Unfortunately the custom HDTV settings seems to only apply to the
AIW9800 -
> if I try to use them on my AIW9600 my system just hangs. and then locks
up.

> Thanks again.
> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > If you can still send the 9600xt back... I would.
> > >
> > > Do a google group search for AIW cards and HDTV.. many customers
> including
> > > me have massive overscan problems on their HDTV.. so bad it's
unuseable.

> > > ATI is aware of the problem.. but keeps on pumping them out.
> > >
> > > Don't want to rain on your parade.. I wish someone had warned me.
> > > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> HDTV
> > > stock
> > > shipping
> pro
> > in
> the
> > > new
> > > yesterday.
> > > about

> any

> > Look at this. http://www.ati.com/support/faq/hdtvuserdefinedmodes.html
> >
> > Now show me where I said I was using the HDTV adapter or an HDTV
monitor.

Sorry the new software didn't work. I did the google search as you
suggested. What I read agrees there is a problem but you must have the
worst case scenario. What are you trying to display to?
I have an NEC LCD VGA monitor hooked to a kvm switch. It adjusts to
whatever computer its switched to. I'll buy a display device that can adjust
to my HDTV or VGA output. Thats the plan anyway. Buy the most expensive part
last while prices are falling and the technology is getting better.

Thanks for the response. I've tried every fix on every page that ATI has and
then some.

I'm outputting to a 47" Panasonic Rear View Projection set. The overscan is
outrageous.. I'm trying to use Powerstrip with some custom settings.. I seem
to be married to this video card. Everything else with the card works as
advertised. but the HDTV is very frustating.
"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
newThs:E%QOc.2$Af5.1@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> "Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately the custom HDTV settings seems to only apply to the
> AIW9800 -
> > if I try to use them on my AIW9600 my system just hangs. and then locks
> up.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > > "Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > including
> unuseable.

> > HDTV
> in
> > pro
> > > in
> > the
> thing

> > any

> > > Look at this. http://www.ati.com/support/faq/hdtvuserdefinedmodes.html
> > >
> > > Now show me where I said I was using the HDTV adapter or an HDTV
> monitor.
> > >

> Sorry the new software didn't work. I did the google search as you
> suggested. What I read agrees there is a problem but you must have the
> worst case scenario. What are you trying to display to?
> I have an NEC LCD VGA monitor hooked to a kvm switch. It adjusts to
> whatever computer its switched to. I'll buy a display device that can
adjust
> to my HDTV or VGA output. Thats the plan anyway. Buy the most expensive
part
> last while prices are falling and the technology is getting better.

Where can you find hardware like that? Is it a major purchase? That's
something I should investigate also.

> Where can you find hardware like that? Is it a major purchase? That's
> something I should investigate also.
> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Unfortunately the custom HDTV settings seems to only apply to the
> > AIW9800 -
> > > if I try to use them on my AIW9600 my system just hangs. and then
locks
> > up.
> > >
> > > Thanks again.
> > > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message

> > > including
> > unuseable.

> shipping
> > > HDTV
> were
> > in
> 128
> > > pro
> get
> > > the
> > thing

> is
> > > any

http://www.ati.com/support/faq/hdtvuserdefinedmodes.html

> > monitor.
> > > >

> > Sorry the new software didn't work. I did the google search as you
> > suggested. What I read agrees there is a problem but you must have the
> > worst case scenario. What are you trying to display to?
> > I have an NEC LCD VGA monitor hooked to a kvm switch. It adjusts to
> > whatever computer its switched to. I'll buy a display device that can
> adjust
> > to my HDTV or VGA output. Thats the plan anyway. Buy the most expensive
> part
> > last while prices are falling and the technology is getting better.

Don't know. Haven't gotten that far. Just pointing out that its possible. If
you bought an expensive DVD player a few years ago it probably won't play
cd-r. My friend recently bought a $50 player that plays just about any media
format as long as the disc is closed.
I'll probably just be using VGA for the time being.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <cegnrt06lh@enews3.newsguy.com>, "Drew Carter" <hanksr80@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the response. I've tried every fix on every page that ATI has and
>then some.
>
>I'm outputting to a 47" Panasonic Rear View Projection set.

What is the exact model number or are you afraid to tell us?