getting past administrative password

jt

my computer hasn't worked right for about a month now. i have win-xp and
upon startup get no user accounts to sign in with. my anti-virus recently
found a trojan of unknown origin, but since has found nothing. a friend said
to try to repair xp with my xp cd. tried to do this but was asked for my
admin password. i never set my computer up with one. i'm locked out of
working on my computer and don't know how to get past a password i didn't set
so i can try and fix my user accounts problem. make any sense? any
suggestions?

Tab your way thru the password
peter
"jt" <jt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer hasn't worked right for about a month now. i have win-xp and
> upon startup get no user accounts to sign in with. my anti-virus recently
> found a trojan of unknown origin, but since has found nothing. a friend
> said
> to try to repair xp with my xp cd. tried to do this but was asked for my
> admin password. i never set my computer up with one. i'm locked out of
> working on my computer and don't know how to get past a password i didn't
> set
> so i can try and fix my user accounts problem. make any sense? any
> suggestions?

jt

what do you mean "tab your way thru the password?"

the password is not blank and it's not what i set it for. it's something
new that i didn't set up. any other options

"peterk" wrote:

> Tab your way thru the password
> peter
> "jt" <jt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my computer hasn't worked right for about a month now. i have win-xp and
> > upon startup get no user accounts to sign in with. my anti-virus recently
> > found a trojan of unknown origin, but since has found nothing. a friend
> > said
> > to try to repair xp with my xp cd. tried to do this but was asked for my
> > admin password. i never set my computer up with one. i'm locked out of
> > working on my computer and don't know how to get past a password i didn't
> > set
> > so i can try and fix my user accounts problem. make any sense? any
> > suggestions?

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

I'm assuming you're talking about effort to boot to Recovery Console? In my
experience there are two reasons why a valid password may not work for
Recovery Console. One is major registry damage sometimes due to a hard disk
problem.

The other is a disastrous Microsoft blunder with the Sysprep program which
is described in
'The Password Is Not Valid' Error Message Appears When You Log On to
Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308402
This is an enormously frustrating bug as it causes RC to fail when it's most
badly needed.

Note that the suggestion in this KB article to use floppy setup disks fails
every time, at least in my own efforts and per other reports. Your best bet
might be to attempt a Repair reinstallation.