censorship at gamespot forums to please valve

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

censorship at gamespot forums to please valve

if you try searching google using "anti steam" the first link will be
one to a hl gamespot forum, but if you try and access it, the page
is no longer there, it has been removed and you can only see google
cache
so now gamespot censors legitimate messages only to please valve?
its obvious, valve advertises in gamespot web pages so that's much
more important than freedom of speech

this is the only place you can talk about steam without being "silenced"
everywhere else its in valve's tentacular reaches

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

    > this is the only place you can talk about steam without being "silenced"
    > everywhere else its in valve's tentacular reaches

    lol
    Believe me when I say..if you could be silenced on here, you would have
    been, long ago.

    "tentacular reaches" My spellchecker suggested "testicular"
    These pearls are the only reason I don't make you the first ever entry in my
    killfile.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:36:06 +0000, difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt>
    wrote:

    >censorship at gamespot forums to please valve
    >
    >if you try searching google using "anti steam" the first link will be
    >one to a hl gamespot forum, but if you try and access it, the page
    >is no longer there, it has been removed and you can only see google
    >cache
    >so now gamespot censors legitimate messages only to please valve?
    >its obvious, valve advertises in gamespot web pages so that's much
    >more important than freedom of speech
    >
    >this is the only place you can talk about steam without being "silenced"
    >everywhere else its in valve's tentacular reaches

    Follow-ups trimmed for relevancy.

    You seem to be blissfully ignoring the power of choice. Your choice not to buy
    the game. If you don't like it don't buy it. Or are you one of those people
    like certain religious nuts who will watch a program on TV, even when
    forewarned that it would be offensive to some viewers, just so they can be
    offended and then complain about it afterwards. I think you may have been
    dropped as a child fool.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in

    > censorship at gamespot forums to please valve
    >
    > more important than freedom of speech
    >
    > this is the only place you can talk about steam without being "silenced"
    > everywhere else its in valve's tentacular reaches

    As usual the terms censorship, and "freedom of speech" have been misused
    since it is referring to privately owned forums, and the internet. You can
    complain if you want but those two weapons dont apply Im afraid.

    Gandalf Parker
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > censorship at gamespot forums to please valve
    >
    > if you try searching google using "anti steam" the first link will be
    > one to a hl gamespot forum, but if you try and access it, the page
    > is no longer there, it has been removed and you can only see google
    > cache
    > so now gamespot censors legitimate messages only to please valve?
    > its obvious, valve advertises in gamespot web pages so that's much
    > more important than freedom of speech
    >
    > this is the only place you can talk about steam without being "silenced"
    > everywhere else its in valve's tentacular reaches

    Deleting msgs from a commerical forum is nothing new. Msgs tend to get
    deleted if they are deemed "inappropriate" by the moderators. I was on
    Valve's forum yesterday and noticed folks have posted topics such as,
    "getting pissed @ steam help please" & "Getting mad at Steam now".

    And how were you able to determined the "legitimacy" of a deleted ant-steam
    posting on GameSpot?

    http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_messages.php?board=314159266&topic=14577721&page=0
    Moderators

    We have a very dedicated staff of hand-picked moderators who are in charge
    of keeping an eye out for violations. They can lock or edit threads that
    have "inappropriate" content. If a thread of yours is locked, the moderator
    should post a reason why in that thread unless it's completely obvious. If
    you're not satisfied, you can send a Private Message (PM) to that moderator
    to seek clarification.

    http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=forums

    Administrators/Moderators reserve the right to change, edit, or delete any
    content at any time if they feel it is inappropriate.

    http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy/faq.asp#ma01

    1. What are moderators?

    Moderators have power over individual sections of a Forum. Within those
    sections, they are capable of editing, deleting, and closing topics, not to
    mention banning users who are disruptive. Each section usually has between
    two and eight moderators.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    difool wrote:
    > censorship at gamespot forums to please valve
    >
    > if you try searching google using "anti steam" the first link will be
    > one to a hl gamespot forum, but if you try and access it, the page
    > is no longer there, it has been removed and you can only see google
    > cache
    > so now gamespot censors legitimate messages only to please valve?
    > its obvious, valve advertises in gamespot web pages so that's much
    > more important than freedom of speech
    >
    > this is the only place you can talk about steam without being "silenced"
    > everywhere else its in valve's tentacular reaches

    Contrary to what people seem to believe, moderated internet forums &
    chatrooms are not subject to "freedom of speech" .. there are rules
    about what you can say, and if you say anything which goes against the
    rules, posts get deleted - it's quite simple. presumably the post was
    full of some childish pathetic whining, maybe even abuse, or perhaps the
    thread degenerated into a flamewar. I know if I was a forum mod, I
    would delete any thread like that regardless of it's subject.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    > difool wrote:
    >> censorship at gamespot forums to please valve
    >>
    >> if you try searching google using "anti steam" the first link will be
    >> one to a hl gamespot forum, but if you try and access it, the page
    >> is no longer there, it has been removed and you can only see google
    >> cache
    >> so now gamespot censors legitimate messages only to please valve?
    >> its obvious, valve advertises in gamespot web pages so that's much
    >> more important than freedom of speech
    >>
    >> this is the only place you can talk about steam without being "silenced"
    >> everywhere else its in valve's tentacular reaches
    >
    > Contrary to what people seem to believe, moderated internet forums &
    > chatrooms are not subject to "freedom of speech" .. there are rules about
    > what you can say, and if you say anything which goes against the rules,
    > posts get deleted - it's quite simple. presumably the post was full of
    > some childish pathetic whining, maybe even abuse, or perhaps the thread
    > degenerated into a flamewar. I know if I was a forum mod, I would
    > delete any thread like that regardless of it's subject.
    >

    > --
    > Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Just because you have the RIGHT doesn't make it RIGHT.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote in news:IvyEd.3$kQ1.0@fe72.usenetserver.com:

    >> Contrary to what people seem to believe, moderated internet forums &
    >> chatrooms are not subject to "freedom of speech" .. there are rules
    >> about what you can say, and if you say anything which goes against
    >> the rules, posts get deleted - it's quite simple. presumably the
    >> post was full of some childish pathetic whining, maybe even abuse, or
    >> perhaps the thread degenerated into a flamewar. I know if I was a
    >> forum mod, I would delete any thread like that regardless of it's
    >> subject.
    >
    > Just because you have the RIGHT doesn't make it RIGHT.

    Its their forum, on their machine, which they put up for their own reasons,
    and anything which anyone decides to post their belongs to that company.
    What would you want? If you put up a forum on your own machine do you think
    you would store every post forever no matter what it is?

    Gandalf Parker
    --
    "The Internet is made up of a totally Democratic structure governing
    hundreds of thousands of small dictatorships."

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
    On 2005-01-10, Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

    > Its their forum, on their machine, which they put up for their own reasons,
    > and anything which anyone decides to post their belongs to that company.
    > What would you want? If you put up a forum on your own machine do you think
    > you would store every post forever no matter what it is?

    While it doesn't violate any free speech laws (only government
    can do that), it is irresponsible when you claim to be a site
    catering to gamers.

    Ecole wrote:

    >>Contrary to what people seem to believe, moderated internet forums &
    >>chatrooms are not subject to "freedom of speech" .. there are rules about
    >>what you can say, and if you say anything which goes against the rules,
    >>posts get deleted - it's quite simple. presumably the post was full of
    >>some childish pathetic whining, maybe even abuse, or perhaps the thread
    >>degenerated into a flamewar. I know if I was a forum mod, I would
    >>delete any thread like that regardless of it's subject.
    >
    > Just because you have the RIGHT doesn't make it RIGHT.

    Since when has it not been "right" in a privately owned or moderated
    forum to not impose rules?

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    < cut >

    > "The Internet is made up of a totally Democratic structure governing
    > hundreds of thousands of small dictatorships."

    I like this one. And I'd say something like it might apply to a few other
    thins too... ;-)

    Alfredo
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Alfredo Tutino" <powernews@libero.it> wrote in news:yGeFd.884$GU.17276
    @twister1.libero.it:

    > < cut >
    >
    >> "The Internet is made up of a totally Democratic structure governing
    >> hundreds of thousands of small dictatorships."
    >>
    > I like this one. And I'd say something like it might apply to a few other
    > thins too... ;-)

    Ive been able to use it to move conversations in the right direction on
    ALOT of subjects about the net. People dont realize that the net is
    created, directed, and enforced by alot of totally volunteer committes
    which really arent all that hard to get involved in. And then they try to
    set protocols for use by ROOT admins on their own servers where they are
    GODS!

    Gandalf Parker
    --
    The more I understand xxxxx, the more amazed I am that it works at all.
    (Internet, trees, computers, trains, commodities, democracy, sociology)

    Gandalf Parker wrote:

    > Ive been able to use it to move conversations in the right direction on
    > ALOT of subjects about the net. People dont realize that the net is
    > created, directed, and enforced by alot of totally volunteer committes
    > which really arent all that hard to get involved in. And then they try to
    > set protocols for use by ROOT admins on their own servers where they are
    > GODS!

    "Ive" (iv)
    "alot" (_al_-lot)
    "dont" (dahnt)
    "commites" (co-mit-tez)

    Jesus, I hate this stuff. LEARN THE GODDAMN ENGLISH LANGUAGE, you
    friggin' illiterate jackass.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
    > "Ive" (iv)
    > "alot" (_al_-lot)
    > "dont" (dahnt)
    > "commites" (co-mit-tez)
    >
    > Jesus, I hate this stuff. LEARN THE GODDAMN ENGLISH LANGUAGE, you
    > friggin' illiterate jackass.

    ditto:
    I've, not Ive
    a lot, not alot
    don't, not dont
    committees, not commites
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Brian Siano <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in

    > Gandalf Parker wrote:
    >>
    >> Ive been able to use it to move conversations in the right direction
    >> on ALOT of subjects about the net. People dont realize that the net
    >> is created, directed, and enforced by alot of totally volunteer
    >> committes which really arent all that hard to get involved in. And
    >> then they try to set protocols for use by ROOT admins on their own
    >> servers where they are GODS!
    >
    > "Ive" (iv)
    > "alot" (_al_-lot)
    > "dont" (dahnt)
    > "commites" (co-mit-tez)
    >
    > Jesus, I hate this stuff. LEARN THE GODDAMN ENGLISH LANGUAGE, you
    > friggin' illiterate jackass.

    heehee. upenn.edu email address using "friggin". yeah right, good example.
    Sorry if I type Iowan and military you upstart collegiate. I will certainly
    spell check my term paper before presenting it to you.

    Gandalf Parker
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Xenos" <dont.spam.me@spamhate.com> wrote in news:cs4air$frk5
    @cui1.lmms.lmco.com:

    > "Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
    >> "Ive" (iv)
    >> "alot" (_al_-lot)
    >> "dont" (dahnt)
    >> "commites" (co-mit-tez)
    >>
    >> Jesus, I hate this stuff. LEARN THE GODDAMN ENGLISH LANGUAGE, you
    >> friggin' illiterate jackass.
    >>
    > ditto:
    > I've, not Ive
    > a lot, not alot
    > don't, not dont
    > committees, not commites

    Wow, LockheedMartin.com? I can see why it would irriate you also.

    Ive is a programmers hatred of using things that code-checkers will call
    unbalanced. I just hate to see a ' standing alone because it kicks-in my
    internal "error checking" routine

    Alot is just home dialect (Iowan). Sorry about that.

    dont is same "unbalanced quotes" error

    committees was a misspelling that I should have caught. I apologize.
    I was "talking" out my argument as I typed it.

    I will try harder to avoid at least the misspellings in the future, sirs.

    Gandalf Parker

    Thusly Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> Spake Unto
    All:

    >>> Jesus, I hate this stuff. LEARN THE GODDAMN ENGLISH LANGUAGE, you
    >>> friggin' illiterate jackass.
    >>>
    >> ditto:
    >> I've, not Ive
    >> a lot, not alot
    >> don't, not dont
    >> committees, not commites
    >
    >Wow, LockheedMartin.com? I can see why it would irriate you also.

    Uh, Gandalf - he was correcting the spelling flame, not you.

    (IMHO, that the spellng flame was miss-spelled should really say
    "troll!" loud and clear to everyone concerned.)
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Hi,

    In article <34ch8sF47r7jqU1@individual.net>,
    redTed <redted@nthellworld.com> wrote:
    #"tentacular reaches" My spellchecker suggested "testicular"
    #These pearls are the only reason I don't make you the first ever entry in my
    #killfile.

    ROFLMAO

    Ken. :)
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Close the VT SVC Ctr boondoggle and
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | return services to local CIS offices!

Valve Games IBM Steam Video Games