XP shutdown after installing 3rd party firewall

please excuse my lack of technical knowlege but I have just installed
blackice pc protection (firewall) and my pc switches itself off on startup. I
have uninstalled the software and the pc is fine, I then tried to install
zone alarm to see if there was a problem with blackice but the same problem
occurs
I'm running a athlon 64 3500, plextor dvd drive, gt6800 pro graphics card,
windows XP home with intergrated SP2, windows updates are switched on.

any help would be much appreciated!
4 answers Last reply
More about shutdown installing party firewall

    Dave wrote:

    > please excuse my lack of technical knowlege but I have just installed
    > blackice pc protection (firewall) and my pc switches itself off on
    > startup. I have uninstalled the software and the pc is fine, I then
    > tried to install zone alarm to see if there was a problem with
    > blackice but the same problem occurs
    > I'm running a athlon 64 3500, plextor dvd drive, gt6800 pro graphics
    > card, windows XP home with intergrated SP2, windows updates are
    > switched on.
    >
    > any help would be much appreciated!

    What kind of antivirus solution do you have installed? What does a scan
    with updated definitions (in Safe Mode) show?

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    I'm using AGV anti-virus which is up todate, nothing is being reported back
    after completing a scan in safe mode. I have only been on the net 3 times
    since the computer has had a fresh install of XP. that's why I want a better
    software firewall in the first place.

    Thanks

    Dave wrote:

    >I'm using AGV anti-virus which is up todate, nothing is being reported back
    >after completing a scan in safe mode. I have only been on the net 3 times
    >since the computer has had a fresh install of XP. that's why I want a better
    >software firewall in the first place.

    And you know that Blackice is superior to the Windows SP2 firewall
    because...[insert "fill in the blank" here]

    Ken

    Thanks for the help ken

    "Ken Gardner" wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > >I'm using AGV anti-virus which is up todate, nothing is being reported back
    > >after completing a scan in safe mode. I have only been on the net 3 times
    > >since the computer has had a fresh install of XP. that's why I want a better
    > >software firewall in the first place.
    >
    > And you know that Blackice is superior to the Windows SP2 firewall
    > because...[insert "fill in the blank" here]
    >
    > Ken

Firewalls Windows XP