anti-steam petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

anti-steam petition
(in solidarity to fellow gamer silenced at gamespot forums)

a fellow gamer tried to start a anti-steam petition but was silenced
by gamespot; so cause neither valve, neither gamespot, neither anyone
can do the same in the newsgroups i propose doing the petition here

obviously doing a "real" petition requires work and conditions i don't
have so my proposal is to do a "symbolic" petition
don't put any personal information or even email, but simply follow-up
to this post and no need to write anything
just follow-up with a blank post
its only to show any valve's spies monitoring this groups how many we
are, so lets make this thread surpass the 300 mark! an ambitious number
but i think possible

ps: please valve and steam lovers ignore this, delete this from your
newsreaders or mark as read but don't interfere or do the usual, and
yes i know you all think doing any new thread related to steam in
wanting to start a flame war cause for you questioning master valve
is a capital sin, so go back worshiping your master and leaves us alone
this is a steam-lovers-free thread!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> anti-steam petition

Just don't buy future games using 'steam' -- it's the only thing that will
work. Your usenet petition is useless and annoying.

"Grackle" <nospam@lalaland.com> wrote in message

> Just don't buy future games using 'steam' -- it's the only thing that will
> work.

That's the strategy I'm using. I really was going to buy Half-Life 2 and
Condition Zero, but Steam put an end to that idea. Instead, I've gone out
and supported (purchased) other games like Pacific Assault, Far Cry and Doom
3 (to name a few). Regardless of what people think of those games, I'm
happy to have supported games which do not have an overbearing copy
protection scheme. Besides, last time I looked in the store a couple of
days ago, Half-Life 2 is still selling for the same price as any other "top
tier" game on the shelf. If services like Steam are supposed to cut down on
piracy, then why is Half-Life 2 priced so high? I don't think fans of Steam
will answer that question, but it's something to think about.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>snip<
> this is a steam-lovers-free thread!

Must resist temptation...

Andrew

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:36:13 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

Oh dear, a new address. *plonk*

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" wrote

> anti-steam petition

Honestly I feel sorry for you as it's clear that you don't have anything
really usefull to do in your miserable life

Hmm - not killfiled?
Can't be bothered to have a look
Here you go - *plonk* - feel any better?

- Peter

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:39:18 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"difool" wrote
>
>> anti-steam petition
>
>Honestly I feel sorry for you as it's clear that you don't have anything
>really usefull to do in your miserable life
>
>Hmm - not killfiled?
>Can't be bothered to have a look
>Here you go - *plonk* - feel any better?

I hope you are not waiting to see his response.

>- Peter

vinCe

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" wrote

> obviously doing a "real" petition requires work

Well that's out of the question then.

> and conditions i don't
> have so my proposal is to do a "symbolic" petition
> don't put any personal information or even email, but simply follow-up
> to this post and no need to write anything
> just follow-up with a blank post

> [snipped]

> ps: please valve and steam lovers ignore this, delete this from your
> newsreaders or mark as read but don't interfere or do the usual, and
> yes i know you all think doing any new thread related to steam in
> wanting to start a flame war cause for you questioning master valve
> is a capital sin, so go back worshiping your master and leaves us alone
> this is a steam-lovers-free thread!

I'm sorry for the flame-war, but what you're proposing is *spam*.

You suggest filling the group with useless messages - just wasting bandwidth
and everyone's time.

Although I disagree with almost everything you've ever posted; I think that
your petition *is* a good idea. But this is not the way to achieve it.

Find someone with a web site that you can use, you've got plenty of allies:
John Lewis, Riku, none@nowhere, Etc. Surely one of them can help out.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool got up from the bar and shouted: :
> anti-steam petition blah blah blah...

So tell us all what's so bad about it? You can't pirate your favorite
games any more??? boohoo...

Personally I have no problem with it.

My only fear is that every game developer under the sun develops their
own type of steam system, and before I know it, I have to run 27
different game network applications....

I hope MORE games are delivered through steam, this would prevent my
above fear from happening...

Vince wrote:
> Although I disagree with almost everything you've ever posted; I think that
> your petition *is* a good idea. But this is not the way to achieve it.

You think an anonymous, totally unrepresentitive petition is a good
idea? *boggle*

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:03:19 +0000, Black Shuck <mark.gillespie@gmail.com>
wrote:

>difool got up from the bar and shouted: :
>> anti-steam petition blah blah blah...
>
>So tell us all what's so bad about it? You can't pirate your favorite
>games any more??? boohoo...
>
>Personally I have no problem with it.
>
>My only fear is that every game developer under the sun develops their
>own type of steam system, and before I know it, I have to run 27
>different game network applications....

Maybe but you would only have to use them as you need them and presumably only
one at a time.

>I hope MORE games are delivered through steam, this would prevent my
>above fear from happening...

I hope not as that would mean all those other companies would then have to pay
royalties to Valve and no doubt the quality of the game will suffer because of
it. That money would be better spent on the game itself.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>> Just don't buy future games using 'steam' -- it's the only thing that
>> will work.
>

> That's the strategy I'm using. I really was going to buy Half-Life 2 and
> Condition Zero, but Steam put an end to that idea. Instead, I've gone out
> and supported (purchased) other games like Pacific Assault, Far Cry and
> Doom 3 (to name a few). Regardless of what people think of those games,
> I'm happy to have supported games which do not have an overbearing copy
> protection scheme. Besides, last time I looked in the store a couple of
> days ago, Half-Life 2 is still selling for the same price as any other
> "top tier" game on the shelf. If services like Steam are supposed to cut
> down on piracy, then why is Half-Life 2 priced so high? I don't think
> fans of Steam will answer that question, but it's something to think
> about.

I agree with both of these posts. Vote with your dollars. It really all that
matters and counts.
There are many viable alternatives as pointed out. Support those companies
that treat the customer with respect.
John

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:00:51 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:36:13 +0000, difool
><john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>
>Oh dear, a new address. *plonk*

Apparently this is a different guy.

Lynley

Andrew

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:26:32 -0700, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>tier" game on the shelf. If services like Steam are supposed to cut down on
>piracy, then why is Half-Life 2 priced so high? I don't think fans of Steam
>will answer that question, but it's something to think about.

It has been answered many times before.

Memnoch wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:03:19 +0000, Black Shuck
> <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> difool got up from the bar and shouted: :
>>> anti-steam petition blah blah blah...
>>
>> So tell us all what's so bad about it? You can't pirate your
>> favorite games any more??? boohoo...
>>
>> Personally I have no problem with it.
>>
>> My only fear is that every game developer under the sun develops
>> their own type of steam system, and before I know it, I have to run
>> 27 different game network applications....
>
> Maybe but you would only have to use them as you need them and
> presumably only one at a time.
>
>> I hope MORE games are delivered through steam, this would prevent my
>> above fear from happening...
>
> I hope not as that would mean all those other companies would then
> have to pay royalties to Valve and no doubt the quality of the game
> will suffer because of it. That money would be better spent on the
> game itself.

if it was being delivered through steam instead of a publisher then wouldnt
it even out?
--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>> Just don't buy future games using 'steam' -- it's the only thing that
>> will
>> work.
>

> That's the strategy I'm using. I really was going to buy Half-Life 2 and
> Condition Zero, but Steam put an end to that idea. Instead, I've gone out
> and supported (purchased) other games like Pacific Assault, Far Cry and
> Doom 3 (to name a few). Regardless of what people think of those games,
> I'm happy to have supported games which do not have an overbearing copy
> protection scheme. Besides, last time I looked in the store a couple of
> days ago, Half-Life 2 is still selling for the same price as any other
> "top tier" game on the shelf. If services like Steam are supposed to cut
> down on piracy, then why is Half-Life 2 priced so high? I don't think
> fans of Steam will answer that question, but it's something to think
> about.

How low do you want the price to be before it actually becomes a viable
purchase ?
PC World and Comet(two retailers with absolutely no idea of wtf they are
doing) are currently selling HL2 for £24.99 here in Warrington. As are
Blockbuster video.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message

> anti-steam petition

I think it must be a full and rich life, trying to persuade us to give up on
a game we completed weeks ago......

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>> anti-steam petition
>
> I think it must be a full and rich life, trying to persuade us to give up
> on a game we completed weeks ago......

It isn't the game, idiot. It's the Steam distribution method.
John

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in

> anti-steam petition
> (in solidarity to fellow gamer silenced at gamespot forums)
>
> a fellow gamer tried to start a anti-steam petition but was silenced
> by gamespot; so cause neither valve, neither gamespot, neither anyone
> can do the same in the newsgroups i propose doing the petition here

Actually they can but so far your posts dont seem to cross any line which
can make it happen. Good luck with your project. I hope it opens some eyes.

Gandalf Parker

"Black Shuck" <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> difool got up from the bar and shouted: :
> > anti-steam petition blah blah blah...
>
> So tell us all what's so bad about it? You can't pirate your favorite
> games any more??? boohoo...
>
> Personally I have no problem with it.

I do, but only on one level.. that being that you have to still run
the damn thing (steam) to play in offline mode. It sits there
eating up a chunk of ram.. When you are trying to play with
high res textures on only 512mb ram.. I want every single
megabyte I can get (to avoid texture thrashing). I hate seeing
it sitting there running in the task bar.

I was pretty vocal about it when it came out and how I thought
it was a bad move.. I'm over that now. But I do think it's dumb
that it has to be run even for the offline mode. Once you have
validated, why can't you just run it like a normal game? Why
do you have to run steam?

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:26:32 -0700, "NightSky 421"
> <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> >tier" game on the shelf. If services like Steam are supposed to cut down
on
> >piracy, then why is Half-Life 2 priced so high? I don't think fans of
Steam
> >will answer that question, but it's something to think about.
>
> It has been answered many times before.

I understand why it's priced so high, but steam didn't do anything
to stop the pirating of the game itself. People were even stealing
it right from steam itself on the first few days after release. Valve
claimed they "leaked a CD-key to catch people" in an effort to
damage control, but that was bull. I was reading up on the thing
at the time, where people were registering with *any* legit CD key,
but then pulling their network cord while it processed the key. Then
instead of saying "this key is already in use" it would bypass and
go right into where they could download and decrypt it.

Valve already fixed it so it's safe to talk about I think. But still, their
own system had a flaw in it that made it possible to steal it, and there
are still tons of copies of it floating online. Sadly I know a guy at
my work who is playing the pirated copy, and he even get's the latest
patches... someone is releasing them.

Steam utterly failed when it comes to any form of protection. It
did no more than regular disc protection does. Stop casual
piracy. That's it! However I conceed it's a useful delivery service,
and seems to be pretty stable these days. But I think they wasted
their time trying to make it a secure service because they clearly
didn't know what they were doing if people could come up with
an exploit that simple to be able to download the game.

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:26:32 -0700, NightSky 421 wrote:

> That's the strategy I'm using.

That's the strategy I am using for any kind of scheme or system I disagree
with. I have greatly cut down on the number of Koch Media games I purchase,
for example, because they use SafeDisc 4 for copy protection. I find this
particular system unacceptable, so I don't buy these games UNLESS it's a
must-have title (I allow myself this bit of inconsistency. ;)). I also
emailed them and told them about this. Felt a bit bad when they were
actually nice in their response, but I stick to the plan.

M.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:07:21 -0000, "Stoned Monkey"
<tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Memnoch wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:03:19 +0000, Black Shuck
>> <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> difool got up from the bar and shouted: :
>>>
>>> So tell us all what's so bad about it? You can't pirate your
>>> favorite games any more??? boohoo...
>>>
>>> Personally I have no problem with it.
>>>
>>> My only fear is that every game developer under the sun develops
>>> their own type of steam system, and before I know it, I have to run
>>> 27 different game network applications....
>>
>> Maybe but you would only have to use them as you need them and
>> presumably only one at a time.
>>
>>> I hope MORE games are delivered through steam, this would prevent my
>>> above fear from happening...
>>
>> I hope not as that would mean all those other companies would then
>> have to pay royalties to Valve and no doubt the quality of the game
>> will suffer because of it. That money would be better spent on the
>> game itself.
>
>if it was being delivered through steam instead of a publisher then wouldnt
>it even out?

I suppose its possible. But this discussion has already been had in here and I
think there was serious doubts as to whether games bought online with
something like Steam are going to be any cheaper at all than retail. I believe
that greed will win the day and the games will be EXACTLY the same cost no
matter how they are delivered. The reason for this is because WE are prepared
to pay those prices so why should they charge less?

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in

> If services like Steam are supposed to cut down on
> piracy, then why is Half-Life 2 priced so high? I don't think fans of
> Steam will answer that question, but it's something to think about.

I thought steam was copy protection, not crack protection.

Gandalf Parker