Upgrading Leged 406CD

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade my Legend 406CD so I can put slackware on it. I
already put in an ISA NIC, all I need now is more RAM and a faster
processor. My problem is I'm having difficulty finding a compatible
socket 5 processor to go with it. I was looking at intel overdrive kits
but those are all socket 7, which I don't think are compatible with the
590 Hillary.

Also, has anyone flashed their board to the BY0.1007 firmware
successfully?

Many thanks.

Actually, this board has a PCI slot on it. So, would upgrading to a PCI
card with a socket on it be feasible? Anyone done this before?
Thanks again.

The Intel OverDrive kits are designed for either Socket 5 or Socket 7
motherboards. Together, the MMX and non-MMX versions of the Socket 5/7
OverDrive were Intel's most successful processor upgrade ever.

As an alternative if you can still find it, PowerLeap also made Socket 5
upgrades using Classic Pentium (not as tasty as classic Coke), Pentium MMX, and
AMD K6-2 processors. The latter required a BIOS upgrade which was part of the
PowerLeap kit. Otherwise, your system has the latest and greatest BIOS. The
only alternative would be to swap out the motherboard for a newer one, available
in very limited supply. I have some newer LPX motherboards here, suitable for
installation in a PB system. May not be a PB BIOS, but they would work just the
same. Fastest supported processor would be 233MHz MMX.

Evergreen made a PCI kit for a Socket 370 Celeron. It is not worth the bother.
I got one for real cheap just to experiment. Haven't found a motherboard where
it works OK.

Max out the memory to 128MB using 4x32MB EDO SIMMs.

The system has PCI slots, so a PCI NIC would work better over all, and give
better performance. 3COM also made an Ethernet 10/100 NIC, the 3C515.

I may have an OverDrive in my stash somewhere. I know I have other CPUs, 32MB
EDO SIMMs and NICs. If you are in a bind getting some of this stuff, give me a
holler and tell me what you need. I'll make you a very fair package deal... Ben
Myers

On 28 Dec 2004 20:13:34 -0800, "lt_wentoncha" <lt_wentonchan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to upgrade my Legend 406CD so I can put slackware on it. I
>already put in an ISA NIC, all I need now is more RAM and a faster
>processor. My problem is I'm having difficulty finding a compatible
>socket 5 processor to go with it. I was looking at intel overdrive kits
>but those are all socket 7, which I don't think are compatible with the
>590 Hillary.
>
>Also, has anyone flashed their board to the BY0.1007 firmware
>successfully?
>
>Many thanks.

Hi Ben,

Firstly, thanks for replying! eBay is bereft of any Powerleap or
Evergreen add ons, all of which are well beyond the price of getting an
entirely new motherboard and combo (if only to PIIs). Also, with
regards to the PCI slot on the ISA expansion card, there's no opening
for the PCI card on the back so I think that slot has pretty limited
applications. Now I think I have the RAM sticks lined up, all I'd need
now is the processor. Ideally, if I could get a LPX board with a 200
Pentium Pro I could probably get an orverdrive kit for that to bump up
the performance to a 333 PII, but that probably be too complicated and
cost prohibitive to do (LPXs don't even support Socket 8s, do they?)

If you have any Overdrives that can max out the processor for a 590
Hillary mobo (200 won't work, will it?), or another LPX mobo/processor
that you could let go for shipping, let me know, as I think slackware
with KDE is not going to run very fast on a P75. Also, if you have a
couple gig HDD laying around, let me know about that as the best
discounter around me that sells nice HDDs at a buck a gig is about 25
miles out. On eBay I found a pretty cool guy who could send the 4 ram
sticks for shipping, but let me know about that as well just in case he
flakes out. Sorry about the long list, but

I'm still debating whether this is worthwhile. Frys just had a
Sempron/mobo combo for 70, and I have tons of AGP cards and DDR sticks
for newer systems. But I just can't bring myself around to trashing my
first computer, not when there's a chance to breathe life back into it.
Thanks for helping me do so, though I think the Legend has more to be
thankful for ;)