need a tweak

I have my cable modem hooked into my Linksys wireless B broadband router. My Replay TV and my desktop computer both hook into the router and work fine. I just received my new Dell notebook today with wireless B already in it, and I can connect from anywhere in the house with great reception.

The problem is: if I am working downstairs on the laptop, how can I access the files on my upstairs desktop? I know it must be something simple, but I NEED HELP!!!
2 answers Last reply
More about need tweak

    If you're running Windows XP Pro on both machines, you can add both the
    computers to a common domain (workgroup). To do this:

    You will need to be the administrator on both machines. Right click on My
    Computer -> Computer Name tab -> Change ->Check "Workgroup" and specify any
    name, say "mynetwork". You will need to follow the same procedure on both
    machines.

    Next, you can add any files that you want to share to the "Shared Files"
    folder and you should be setup. For more information on how you can do this,
    you can refer to the procedure here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/homenetworking/getstarted/shareresources.asp

    --
    Rajiv

    Please do not respond directly to this alias.
    This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS"
    with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    "imaref" <mcnevich@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have my cable modem hooked into my Linksys wireless B broadband router.
    My Replay TV and my desktop computer both hook into the router and work
    fine. I just received my new Dell notebook today with wireless B already in
    it, and I can connect from anywhere in the house with great reception.

    > The problem is: if I am working downstairs on the laptop, how can I access
    the files on my upstairs desktop? I know it must be something simple, but I
    NEED HELP!!!

    Little hint....is called ENABLE FILE SHARED and run the
    HOME NETWORK WIZARD.

Wireless Wireless Networking