Cat 4.7's on 98SE: Far Cry noticeably slower

It seems to me that Cat 4.7 has Far Cry running slower than Cat 4.3.
Also, Jedi Knight Academy crashes hard and COD starts up and my CRT promptly
shuts down (although I can still hear COD so I know it's running), I can
manually shutdown COD by hitting tilde then typing in quit, at which point the
CRT comes back to life. <shrug>, the COD problem sounds like some sort of
refresh rate problem to me.

shawk

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> It seems to me that Cat 4.7 has Far Cry running slower than Cat 4.3.
> Also, Jedi Knight Academy crashes hard and COD starts up and my CRT
promptly
> shuts down (although I can still hear COD so I know it's running), I can
> manually shutdown COD by hitting tilde then typing in quit, at which point
the
> CRT comes back to life. <shrug>, the COD problem sounds like some sort of
> refresh rate problem to me.
> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Bill,

I dont think ATI have supported 98SE since about 4.4's? I have XP on all
PC's here so someone else can confirm.

Cheers, Shaun

ati just released the 4.7s for Win98/SE/ME but they are not WHQL certified
as MS does not do it anymore.

> "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> > It seems to me that Cat 4.7 has Far Cry running slower than Cat 4.3.
> > Also, Jedi Knight Academy crashes hard and COD starts up and my CRT
> promptly
> > shuts down (although I can still hear COD so I know it's running), I can
> > manually shutdown COD by hitting tilde then typing in quit, at which
point
> the
> > CRT comes back to life. <shrug>, the COD problem sounds like some sort
of
> > refresh rate problem to me.
> > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
>

> Bill,
>
> I dont think ATI have supported 98SE since about 4.4's? I have XP on all
> PC's here so someone else can confirm.
>
> Cheers, Shaun

shawk

"Piers James" <nospan-p13rs.xray.jam3s@v1rg1n.ten-nospam> wrote in message
> ati just released the 4.7s for Win98/SE/ME but they are not WHQL certified
> as MS does not do it anymore.

Thanks Piers. I stand corrected. Shaun

CoD runs fine here. The difference being I installed the game after the 4.7
drivers, whereas your installation carried over from 4.3. Maybe the game
needs to redetect the display device. Have you tried running CoD Safemode?

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> It seems to me that Cat 4.7 has Far Cry running slower than Cat 4.3.
> Also, Jedi Knight Academy crashes hard and COD starts up and my CRT
promptly
> shuts down (although I can still hear COD so I know it's running), I can
> manually shutdown COD by hitting tilde then typing in quit, at which point
the
> CRT comes back to life. <shrug>, the COD problem sounds like some sort of
> refresh rate problem to me.
> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> It seems to me that Cat 4.7 has Far Cry running slower than Cat 4.3.
> Also, Jedi Knight Academy crashes hard and COD starts up and my CRT
promptly
> shuts down (although I can still hear COD so I know it's running), I can
> manually shutdown COD by hitting tilde then typing in quit, at which point
the
> CRT comes back to life. <shrug>, the COD problem sounds like some sort of
> refresh rate problem to me.
> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

What is the refresh rate on COD? My monitor shuts down if the refresh rate
is too high for a given resolution.
Can't comment on the others as I am using XP pro, and Far Cry is running
great (touch wood), have installed Jedi Academy but haven't played it yet.