NAV&NIS problem in WindowsXP/SP2

I am using Windows XP/SP2 and have NAV&NIS 2004. At startup, the taskbar
NAV icon sometimes has a red X for approx. 15 seconds and then clears.
Occasionally NIS disables and I must use system restore to enable it. In the
NIS options box, the Intrusion Detection box will not stay checked for
monitoring updates. The only threat I've ever discovered was a
Trojan.Byte.Verify that was quarantined and deleted. I know that two options
would be spyware removal programs and/or removal & reinstallation of NIV/NAV.
I am a 4 month newbie(to all computers) and don't yet feel comfortable with
those choices. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Here's my step by step to wipe out most infections (nothing to be afraid of):
http://spaces.msn.com/members/greyhat/Blog/cns!1pUk7QRF4x9-c8NiDSc_ZYKg!129.entry

It's always good to start somewhere.

Take care.

"drive55" wrote:

> I am using Windows XP/SP2 and have NAV&NIS 2004. At startup, the taskbar
> NAV icon sometimes has a red X for approx. 15 seconds and then clears.
> Occasionally NIS disables and I must use system restore to enable it. In the
> NIS options box, the Intrusion Detection box will not stay checked for
> monitoring updates. The only threat I've ever discovered was a
> Trojan.Byte.Verify that was quarantined and deleted. I know that two options
> would be spyware removal programs and/or removal & reinstallation of NIV/NAV.
> I am a 4 month newbie(to all computers) and don't yet feel comfortable with
> those choices. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bar

NIS includes Norton Firewall, Norton Antivirus and Norton Anti SPam.

If you have separately installed NAV after NIS it is redundant and may have
screwed up some settings, however I'm not certain that it would even comlete
the installationprocess, being aware of NIS on the system.

You can reslove this as you know what and how it was installed.

NIS will take a while to compete loading on the PC: thus NAV will not show
'enabled' for a few minutes after the PC is powered up.

"Phil Agcaoili" wrote:

> Here's my step by step to wipe out most infections (nothing to be afraid of):
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/greyhat/Blog/cns!1pUk7QRF4x9-c8NiDSc_ZYKg!129.entry
>
> It's always good to start somewhere.
>
> Take care.
>
> "drive55" wrote:
>
> > I am using Windows XP/SP2 and have NAV&NIS 2004. At startup, the taskbar
> > NAV icon sometimes has a red X for approx. 15 seconds and then clears.
> > Occasionally NIS disables and I must use system restore to enable it. In the
> > NIS options box, the Intrusion Detection box will not stay checked for
> > monitoring updates. The only threat I've ever discovered was a
> > Trojan.Byte.Verify that was quarantined and deleted. I know that two options
> > would be spyware removal programs and/or removal & reinstallation of NIV/NAV.
> > I am a 4 month newbie(to all computers) and don't yet feel comfortable with
> > those choices. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The NAV&NIS were installed as a package-with a three mo. trial-with my new
computer. I renewed the suscription (successfully according to Symantec) in
Jan. 2005. Since then, the problems I described have been occurring more
frequently. The only error in my log viewer is that of NAV 2004 internal
program error 4002,517. Also, a check of System Configuration Utility
indicates that the NAV/NIS may not be installed correctly. I would like to
know if Agcaoili's suggestion (Thanks, Phil) or removal/reinstall are my only
current options. Thanks.

"BAR" wrote:

> NIS includes Norton Firewall, Norton Antivirus and Norton Anti SPam.
>
> If you have separately installed NAV after NIS it is redundant and may have
> screwed up some settings, however I'm not certain that it would even comlete
> the installationprocess, being aware of NIS on the system.
>
> You can reslove this as you know what and how it was installed.
>
> NIS will take a while to compete loading on the PC: thus NAV will not show
> 'enabled' for a few minutes after the PC is powered up.
>
> "Phil Agcaoili" wrote:
>
> > Here's my step by step to wipe out most infections (nothing to be afraid of):
> > http://spaces.msn.com/members/greyhat/Blog/cns!1pUk7QRF4x9-c8NiDSc_ZYKg!129.entry
> >
> > It's always good to start somewhere.
> >
> > Take care.
> >
> > "drive55" wrote:
> >
> > > I am using Windows XP/SP2 and have NAV&NIS 2004. At startup, the taskbar
> > > NAV icon sometimes has a red X for approx. 15 seconds and then clears.
> > > Occasionally NIS disables and I must use system restore to enable it. In the
> > > NIS options box, the Intrusion Detection box will not stay checked for
> > > monitoring updates. The only threat I've ever discovered was a
> > > Trojan.Byte.Verify that was quarantined and deleted. I know that two options
> > > would be spyware removal programs and/or removal & reinstallation of NIV/NAV.
> > > I am a 4 month newbie(to all computers) and don't yet feel comfortable with
> > > those choices. Any suggestions? Thanks.

No problem.

Gotta love information technology, so there are always [many] other options
to correct your problem

From what you wrote, (a) you are infected with something and (b) your
current A/V and Security solutions are not installed and working properly.

I wrote the guide to assist my folks when they had a bad infection and I
wrote it as a "throw the whole kitchen including the sink" approach to
correcting any generic malware or spyware infection. So, there are less
invasive ways to clean up your machine that is specific to whatever you're
infected with.

As for the issues with NAV and NIS, the software isn't running properly. If
you give Symantec a call, their support will most likely ask you to remove
and reinstall the software so that it functions correctly.

NIS and NAV running simultaneously is not a good thing.
After you uninstall both apps.
Install and run NIS alone and see if things work out better for you.

Remember with an infection, you've already let the burglar into the house
and re-enabling your home security system afterwards--you need to disinfect
whatever is a foothold in your system.

Good luck.

"drive55" wrote:

> The NAV&NIS were installed as a package-with a three mo. trial-with my new
> computer. I renewed the suscription (successfully according to Symantec) in
> Jan. 2005. Since then, the problems I described have been occurring more
> frequently. The only error in my log viewer is that of NAV 2004 internal
> program error 4002,517. Also, a check of System Configuration Utility
> indicates that the NAV/NIS may not be installed correctly. I would like to
> know if Agcaoili's suggestion (Thanks, Phil) or removal/reinstall are my only
> current options. Thanks.
>
> "BAR" wrote:
>
> > NIS includes Norton Firewall, Norton Antivirus and Norton Anti SPam.
> >
> > If you have separately installed NAV after NIS it is redundant and may have
> > screwed up some settings, however I'm not certain that it would even comlete
> > the installationprocess, being aware of NIS on the system.
> >
> > You can reslove this as you know what and how it was installed.
> >
> > NIS will take a while to compete loading on the PC: thus NAV will not show
> > 'enabled' for a few minutes after the PC is powered up.
> >
> > "Phil Agcaoili" wrote:
> >
> > > Here's my step by step to wipe out most infections (nothing to be afraid of):
> > > http://spaces.msn.com/members/greyhat/Blog/cns!1pUk7QRF4x9-c8NiDSc_ZYKg!129.entry
> > >
> > > It's always good to start somewhere.
> > >
> > > Take care.

Time to learn NAV/NIS removal/reinstall, safe boot, and spyware removal!
Thanks again to Phil and BAR.

"drive55" wrote:

> The NAV&NIS were installed as a package-with a three mo. trial-with my new
> computer. I renewed the suscription (successfully according to Symantec) in
> Jan. 2005. Since then, the problems I described have been occurring more
> frequently. The only error in my log viewer is that of NAV 2004 internal
> program error 4002,517. Also, a check of System Configuration Utility
> indicates that the NAV/NIS may not be installed correctly. I would like to
> know if Agcaoili's suggestion (Thanks, Phil) or removal/reinstall are my only
> current options. Thanks.
>
> "BAR" wrote:
>
> > NIS includes Norton Firewall, Norton Antivirus and Norton Anti SPam.
> >
> > If you have separately installed NAV after NIS it is redundant and may have
> > screwed up some settings, however I'm not certain that it would even comlete
> > the installationprocess, being aware of NIS on the system.
> >
> > You can reslove this as you know what and how it was installed.
> >
> > NIS will take a while to compete loading on the PC: thus NAV will not show
> > 'enabled' for a few minutes after the PC is powered up.
> >
> > "Phil Agcaoili" wrote:
> >
> > > Here's my step by step to wipe out most infections (nothing to be afraid of):
> > > http://spaces.msn.com/members/greyhat/Blog/cns!1pUk7QRF4x9-c8NiDSc_ZYKg!129.entry
> > >
> > > It's always good to start somewhere.
> > >
> > > Take care.

I am using norton security system complete and have been since last june. all
of a sudden all my e-mail is going into the anti spam folder. do you have
any idea as to how i can get my allowed e-mail to go back to my inbox? i
don't know who to contact for this problem. appreciate any info. thanks.
--
spammed out

"drive55" wrote:

> I am using Windows XP/SP2 and have NAV&NIS 2004. At startup, the taskbar
> NAV icon sometimes has a red X for approx. 15 seconds and then clears.
> Occasionally NIS disables and I must use system restore to enable it. In the
> NIS options box, the Intrusion Detection box will not stay checked for
> monitoring updates. The only threat I've ever discovered was a
> Trojan.Byte.Verify that was quarantined and deleted. I know that two options
> would be spyware removal programs and/or removal & reinstallation of NIV/NAV.
> I am a 4 month newbie(to all computers) and don't yet feel comfortable with
> those choices. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Most problems with Nortons can be found by searching the knowledge base
http://www.symantec.com/search/