Wireless Printing

I have an hp pavilion ze5400 laptop. I'm connected with a router to an old Canon computer with Windows 98. I'm trying to get the laptop to use the printer while being wireless. Can't seem to figure it out. I get as far as browsing to find the printer and nothing comes up. I need help!!! Thanks.

papa

What is the printer connected to?

If the printer is connected to a print server (some routers include a print
server parallel port), all computers in your LAN should be able to
independently access it.

If it is connected to a desktop parallel port, that desktop must be up and
running before other computers on the LAN can access it.

In either case, you must go through the "Add Printer" process with your
laptop, as well as ALL computers in your LAN, and for each of them you need
to indicate the correct port. For example, I have one printer shared with
the LAN and connected to the parallel port of a desktop. The printer port
for that desktop is LPT1. I also have another printer connected to the
parallel port of a Dlink router, and the printer port is Dlink.

Hope this helps.

"Mer" <MNations8@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have an hp pavilion ze5400 laptop. I'm connected with a router to an
old Canon computer with Windows 98. I'm trying to get the laptop to use
the printer while being wireless. Can't seem to figure it out. I get as
far as browsing to find the printer and nothing comes up. I need help!!!
Thanks.

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

The drivers for Win98 and WinXP may be different.You can try installing the
driver locally on the XP computer and changing the port.
A few of questions first.
Are both computers in the same workgroup?
Have you shared the printer on the Win98 machine?
Can you "see" the shared printer in network places?
If the answer to ALL of these is yes it should work.
I have an old Canon-6000 and I use a D-Link Wireless print server. About a
hundred bucks but when I print, the computer doesn't use any of its own
resources, it sends the print job to the network address (IP) and doesn't
care about it anymore.
Tom Wilcken