cannot accesss files

February 19, 2005 7:19:02 AM

Hi.
There are a lot of posts on this subject but most answers refer to viruses
etc but im not sure that this is the case...so here goes.
Im running Xp Pro. ive got maxtor 160GB SATA split into 3 partitions. msi
k7n2 delta ilrs mo/bo. 1024 ram 2500 cpu.overclocked 3200 with SP2
system is fantastic.....no problems

I went into control panel, user accounts and created a password to log onto
my account. pressed ok. it then ask me if i would like to make my folders
private for people with limited access so they cannot view them....I said
yes. that was that i logged out and every thing seemed fine.

Now when my wife logs on and tries to access my documents (phills documents)
she get a message box saying
"C:\document and settings\ phill is not accessible. Access is denied."

Wanting to know why i had restricted her from viewing my folder i say didnt
mean to i will show you... I had to log into my account showed her the
file... (nothing to hide) I've tried to remove this privacy thing, by
removing my main password but access is still denied for my wife although i
do not need a password to log on.
Please can anyone tell me how i can remove this privacy setting.
Im fully up to date with anti virus software and its not a virus...it is
caused by selecting yes to limiting other users with account limitation.
Many many thanks
Phill

More about : accesss files

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 10:14:05 AM

Right click My Documents | Sharing tab | Uncheck: ? Make this folder private
| Apply | OK

[[Specifies that only you can access the folder. When you make a folder
private, you also make all the files and subfolders it contains private.
This option is only available for your folders in your user profile (My
Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, and Favorites). If you
want to make a file in a private folder available to other users, you can
move the file to the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, or Shared Music
folders.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:519174C2-3992-4254-A0F2-1D339A7D13F2@microsoft.com,
Phill <Phill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi.
> There are a lot of posts on this subject but most answers refer to
> viruses etc but im not sure that this is the case...so here goes.
> Im running Xp Pro. ive got maxtor 160GB SATA split into 3 partitions.
> msi k7n2 delta ilrs mo/bo. 1024 ram 2500 cpu.overclocked 3200 with SP2
> system is fantastic.....no problems
>
> I went into control panel, user accounts and created a password to
> log onto my account. pressed ok. it then ask me if i would like to
> make my folders private for people with limited access so they cannot
> view them....I said yes. that was that i logged out and every thing
> seemed fine.
>
> Now when my wife logs on and tries to access my documents (phills
> documents) she get a message box saying
> "C:\document and settings\ phill is not accessible. Access is
> denied."
>
> Wanting to know why i had restricted her from viewing my folder i say
> didnt mean to i will show you... I had to log into my account showed
> her the file... (nothing to hide) I've tried to remove this privacy
> thing, by removing my main password but access is still denied for my
> wife although i do not need a password to log on.
> Please can anyone tell me how i can remove this privacy setting.
> Im fully up to date with anti virus software and its not a virus...it
> is caused by selecting yes to limiting other users with account
> limitation. Many many thanks
> Phill
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:51:02 PM

Hi Wesley

Many many thanks. It worked. So logical when i think about it. but most pc
problems are.....
thanks again.
Phill

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Right click My Documents | Sharing tab | Uncheck: Â? Make this folder private
> | Apply | OK
>
> [[Specifies that only you can access the folder. When you make a folder
> private, you also make all the files and subfolders it contains private.
> This option is only available for your folders in your user profile (My
> Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, and Favorites). If you
> want to make a file in a private folder available to other users, you can
> move the file to the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, or Shared Music
> folders.]]
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:519174C2-3992-4254-A0F2-1D339A7D13F2@microsoft.com,
> Phill <Phill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi.
> > There are a lot of posts on this subject but most answers refer to
> > viruses etc but im not sure that this is the case...so here goes.
> > Im running Xp Pro. ive got maxtor 160GB SATA split into 3 partitions.
> > msi k7n2 delta ilrs mo/bo. 1024 ram 2500 cpu.overclocked 3200 with SP2
> > system is fantastic.....no problems
> >
> > I went into control panel, user accounts and created a password to
> > log onto my account. pressed ok. it then ask me if i would like to
> > make my folders private for people with limited access so they cannot
> > view them....I said yes. that was that i logged out and every thing
> > seemed fine.
> >
> > Now when my wife logs on and tries to access my documents (phills
> > documents) she get a message box saying
> > "C:\document and settings\ phill is not accessible. Access is
> > denied."
> >
> > Wanting to know why i had restricted her from viewing my folder i say
> > didnt mean to i will show you... I had to log into my account showed
> > her the file... (nothing to hide) I've tried to remove this privacy
> > thing, by removing my main password but access is still denied for my
> > wife although i do not need a password to log on.
> > Please can anyone tell me how i can remove this privacy setting.
> > Im fully up to date with anti virus software and its not a virus...it
> > is caused by selecting yes to limiting other users with account
> > limitation. Many many thanks
> > Phill

February 19, 2005 5:51:20 PM

No matter where you are, there you are. Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5A1B6AEB-5058-4B44-A0B8-EC0CABC6CF35@microsoft.com,
Phill <Phill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wesley
>
> Many many thanks. It worked. So logical when i think about it. but
> most pc problems are.....
> thanks again.
> Phill
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Right click My Documents | Sharing tab | Uncheck: Â? Make this
>> folder private
>>> Apply | OK
>>
>> [[Specifies that only you can access the folder. When you make a
>> folder private, you also make all the files and subfolders it
>> contains private. This option is only available for your folders in
>> your user profile (My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start
>> Menu, and Favorites). If you want to make a file in a private folder
>> available to other users, you can move the file to the Shared
>> Documents, Shared Pictures, or Shared Music folders.]]
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:519174C2-3992-4254-A0F2-1D339A7D13F2@microsoft.com,
>> Phill <Phill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi.
>>> There are a lot of posts on this subject but most answers refer to
>>> viruses etc but im not sure that this is the case...so here goes.
>>> Im running Xp Pro. ive got maxtor 160GB SATA split into 3
>>> partitions. msi k7n2 delta ilrs mo/bo. 1024 ram 2500
>>> cpu.overclocked 3200 with SP2 system is fantastic.....no problems
>>>
>>> I went into control panel, user accounts and created a password to
>>> log onto my account. pressed ok. it then ask me if i would like to
>>> make my folders private for people with limited access so they
>>> cannot view them....I said yes. that was that i logged out and
>>> every thing seemed fine.
>>>
>>> Now when my wife logs on and tries to access my documents (phills
>>> documents) she get a message box saying
>>> "C:\document and settings\ phill is not accessible. Access is
>>> denied."
>>>
>>> Wanting to know why i had restricted her from viewing my folder i
>>> say didnt mean to i will show you... I had to log into my account
>>> showed her the file... (nothing to hide) I've tried to remove this
>>> privacy thing, by removing my main password but access is still
>>> denied for my wife although i do not need a password to log on.
>>> Please can anyone tell me how i can remove this privacy setting.
>>> Im fully up to date with anti virus software and its not a
>>> virus...it is caused by selecting yes to limiting other users with
>>> account limitation. Many many thanks
>>> Phill
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:47:03 PM

I also have a similar problem. I did the same thing as Phill, and my "make
this folder private" checkbox is grayed out everywhere I look. I cannot see
my files from my laptop on the same network. How do I turn off this feature?
Thanks,
Guy Allen

"Phill" wrote:

> Hi.
> There are a lot of posts on this subject but most answers refer to viruses
> etc but im not sure that this is the case...so here goes.
> Im running Xp Pro. ive got maxtor 160GB SATA split into 3 partitions. msi
> k7n2 delta ilrs mo/bo. 1024 ram 2500 cpu.overclocked 3200 with SP2
> system is fantastic.....no problems
>
> I went into control panel, user accounts and created a password to log onto
> my account. pressed ok. it then ask me if i would like to make my folders
> private for people with limited access so they cannot view them....I said
> yes. that was that i logged out and every thing seemed fine.
>
> Now when my wife logs on and tries to access my documents (phills documents)
> she get a message box saying
> "C:\document and settings\ phill is not accessible. Access is denied."
>
> Wanting to know why i had restricted her from viewing my folder i say didnt
> mean to i will show you... I had to log into my account showed her the
> file... (nothing to hide) I've tried to remove this privacy thing, by
> removing my main password but access is still denied for my wife although i
> do not need a password to log on.
> Please can anyone tell me how i can remove this privacy setting.
> Im fully up to date with anti virus software and its not a virus...it is
> caused by selecting yes to limiting other users with account limitation.
> Many many thanks
> Phill

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:59:53 PM

[[The Make this folder private option is available only for files in your
user profile (the My Documents folder and its subfolders, and the Cookies,
Desktop, Start Menu, or Favorites folders).]]
You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307286

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes