New XPHome SP2 Install/Security Considerations

Bruce

My dad was running XPHome SP1 (upgraded from WinME) on his 3 1/2 year old
Gateway machine. He connects to the internet via a cable modem and
Comcast is his ISP.

His hard drive bit the dust this morning. He's bringing the tower down
to my house and I'm going to put in a new hard drive and we're going to
purchase and install XPHome with SP2.

We'll be able to access the internet from my house via my Comcast
connection.

My question is, once we install XPHome SP2, are there any other security
considerations I should take before going online to the Microsoft update
site to install any new security updates issued since SP2? He does have
a McAfee VirusScan Online subscription that we will also reinstall.

I run XPHome SP2, so I am familiar with the basics of turning on the
Windows automatic update, basic firewall, etc.

I'm asking the question because I do remember that pre-SP2, after a clean
install of WinXP, I would always install the mblast and sasser patches
from CD before connecting to the internet. I try to keep abreast of
everything, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing a critical update
that should be installed after SP2, and before going online. I think
not, but...

Thanks,
Bruce

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

The most important thing is that the Windows Firewall is on before going
online. It should be on by default with SP2. (SP2 includes the sasser and
blaster patches. With SP1 or no SP the critical thing was to turn on the
firewall to prevent those infecting the machine before being patched.) And
as you note the AV protection.

You have an excellent approach to this in making sure to secure properly
before the first online access and making the first access Windows update.
Good work!
--

Bruce wrote:

>My question is, once we install XPHome SP2, are there any other security
>considerations I should take before going online to the Microsoft update
>site to install any new security updates issued since SP2? He does have
>a McAfee VirusScan Online subscription that we will also reinstall.

If you are installing XP SP2 on a new empty hard drive, just install
Windows, make sure Windows Firewall is on, and then go straight to
Windows Update. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and don't
install any other software just yet (including antivirus). Once you
get Windows up to date, then install your antivirus program and
antispyware program (if you use one) and update them as well.

Ken