Doom3 installs "DRVSEC.SYS" to stop you from copying CD's,..

Decided that this would probably be better in it's own thread...

Just wondering what you all think of the Macromedia protection system that
Doom3 installs onto your system? "DRVSEC.SYS" won't let you play copied
DVD's or copy originals, etc.

I've heard of this for a while, but just noticed it on the Doom3 CD's.

I Googled for this file and had lots of hits but no definitive statements as
to what this actually does to my system. I don't want it running in the
background eating up resources.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I installed Doom III - works fine - can't find the DRVSEC.SYS file
anywhere on the box

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:15:58 GMT, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote:

>Decided that this would probably be better in it's own thread...
>

>Just wondering what you all think of the Macromedia protection system that
>Doom3 installs onto your system? "DRVSEC.SYS" won't let you play copied
>DVD's or copy originals, etc.
>
>I've heard of this for a while, but just noticed it on the Doom3 CD's.
>
>I Googled for this file and had lots of hits but no definitive statements as
>to what this actually does to my system. I don't want it running in the
>background eating up resources.
>
>Anyone have any experience with this?

JohnS

MathCAD installs one that is even worse .. just not
activated to its highest level .. called C-dilla. It is a
nasty little guy fully enabled, and a real stinker to delete.
Far Cry has one too, and their tech support says you
have to uninstall your hardware and its associated
program to install and run Far Cry. That is not true,
but you do have to run the Far Cry CD from a non-
writer drive like a dvd drive. Combos don't always
work either. Look at C-dilla in its full glory. And that
one has been around for several years. It can rat you
out, plus uninstall your hardware. It convinced me to
purchase Matlab for all my labs. I don't have time to
babysit some haywire program that might destroy all
my work, and idle hundreds of students and their
teachers.

johns

My bad... the filename is actually "SECDRV.SYS"

Found it in Windows\System32\Drivers.

I've renamed it, but who knows what difference it will make.

"Tedd Belle" <tedd@home.com> wrote in message
> I installed Doom III - works fine - can't find the DRVSEC.SYS file
> anywhere on the box
>
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:15:58 GMT, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote:
>
> >Decided that this would probably be better in it's own thread...
> >

> >Just wondering what you all think of the Macromedia protection system
that
> >Doom3 installs onto your system? "DRVSEC.SYS" won't let you play copied
> >DVD's or copy originals, etc.
> >
> >I've heard of this for a while, but just noticed it on the Doom3 CD's.
> >
> >I Googled for this file and had lots of hits but no definitive statements
as
> >to what this actually does to my system. I don't want it running in the
> >background eating up resources.
> >
> >Anyone have any experience with this?

yeah, I have that file - now to find out how evil it is..

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:10:23 GMT, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote:

>My bad... the filename is actually "SECDRV.SYS"
>
>Found it in Windows\System32\Drivers.
>
>I've renamed it, but who knows what difference it will make.
>
>"Tedd Belle" <tedd@home.com> wrote in message
>> I installed Doom III - works fine - can't find the DRVSEC.SYS file
>> anywhere on the box
>>
>> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:15:58 GMT, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote:
>>
>> >Decided that this would probably be better in it's own thread...
>> >

>> >Just wondering what you all think of the Macromedia protection system
>that
>> >Doom3 installs onto your system? "DRVSEC.SYS" won't let you play copied
>> >DVD's or copy originals, etc.
>> >
>> >I've heard of this for a while, but just noticed it on the Doom3 CD's.
>> >
>> >I Googled for this file and had lots of hits but no definitive statements
>as
>> >to what this actually does to my system. I don't want it running in the
>> >background eating up resources.
>> >
>> >Anyone have any experience with this?

GT-Force

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

I also have it under several different games, and windows\system32\driver.
Looks like it is nothing new coming only with Doom3, since I have many
different versions (not all of them have the version info, but I have 8
different sized files) of it with different games.
From where you learned that this was to "stop you from copying CD's, DVD's
etc..."? I read that even if so, it is very easy to bypass, so, it looks
like it does not serve its purpose. Are you sure it is continuously running
in the background, or is it run only during the game?
GT

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
> Decided that this would probably be better in it's own thread...
>

> Just wondering what you all think of the Macromedia protection system that
> Doom3 installs onto your system? "DRVSEC.SYS" won't let you play copied
> DVD's or copy originals, etc.
>
> I've heard of this for a while, but just noticed it on the Doom3 CD's.
>
> I Googled for this file and had lots of hits but no definitive statements
as
> to what this actually does to my system. I don't want it running in the
> background eating up resources.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this?

On 8/2/2004 11:15 AM Noozer brightened our day with:

>Decided that this would probably be better in it's own thread...
>

>Just wondering what you all think of the Macromedia protection system that
>Doom3 installs onto your system? "DRVSEC.SYS" won't let you play copied
>DVD's or copy originals, etc.
>
>I've heard of this for a while, but just noticed it on the Doom3 CD's.
>
>I Googled for this file and had lots of hits but no definitive statements as
>to what this actually does to my system. I don't want it running in the
>background eating up resources.
>
>Anyone have any experience with this?

SecDrv.sys gets installed with windows xp. I think it's responsible
for those C07ft5Y registry entries you may get from time to time.

--
The Brain From Planet Arous (1958):
"Bad alien Gor takes over scientist Steve's brain; good alien Vol takes over Steve's dog's brain."

Steve [Inglo]

Inglo wrote:
> SecDrv.sys gets installed with windows xp. I think it's
responsible
> for those C07ft5Y registry entries you may get from time to time.

No secdrv.sys on my xppro and it's got every optional package
installed.

EA Games installs this, too. It is in every game directory and in
windows\system32

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> said:

> My bad... the filename is actually "SECDRV.SYS"

System Shock 2 also installs it.

--
Mac Cool

On 8/2/2004 5:52 PM Markeau brightened our day with:

>Inglo wrote:
>

>>SecDrv.sys gets installed with windows xp. I think it's
>>

>responsible
>

>>for those C07ft5Y registry entries you may get from time to time.
>>

>No secdrv.sys on my xppro and it's got every optional package
>installed.

There was a windows update about a year ago that updated secdrv.sys.
Something like, "problem with non-administrator accounts finding CD when
launching games".
And I just searched my 3 year old windows XP Pro CD and found secdrv.s__
on it.
I guarantee if you have Windows XP you have a secdrv.sys file in your
Windows/system32/drivers folder.

--

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 03:04:41 GMT, Inglo <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:

>On 8/2/2004 5:52 PM Markeau brightened our day with:
>
>>Inglo wrote:
>>

>>>SecDrv.sys gets installed with windows xp. I think it's
>>>

>>responsible
>>

>>>for those C07ft5Y registry entries you may get from time to time.
>>>

>>No secdrv.sys on my xppro and it's got every optional package
>>installed.
>>

>There was a windows update about a year ago that updated secdrv.sys.
>Something like, "problem with non-administrator accounts finding CD when
>launching games".
>And I just searched my 3 year old windows XP Pro CD and found secdrv.s__
>on it.
>I guarantee if you have Windows XP you have a secdrv.sys file in your
>Windows/system32/drivers folder.

So once we've find the file what we should do to be able to play at doom3

On 8/3/2004 9:21 AM Dreamaker brightened our day with:

>>There was a windows update about a year ago that updated secdrv.sys.
>>Something like, "problem with non-administrator accounts finding CD when
>>launching games".
>>And I just searched my 3 year old windows XP Pro CD and found secdrv.s__
>>on it.
>>I guarantee if you have Windows XP you have a secdrv.sys file in your
>>Windows/system32/drivers folder.
>>

>So once we've find the file what we should do to be able to play at doom3

nothing, this is a pointless thread about a non-existent problem.
Everyone who is running Windows XP has secdrv.sys on their system.

--

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 17:41:54 GMT, Inglo <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:

>On 8/3/2004 9:21 AM Dreamaker brightened our day with:
>

>>>There was a windows update about a year ago that updated secdrv.sys.
>>>Something like, "problem with non-administrator accounts finding CD when
>>>launching games".
>>>And I just searched my 3 year old windows XP Pro CD and found secdrv.s__
>>>on it.
>>>I guarantee if you have Windows XP you have a secdrv.sys file in your
>>>Windows/system32/drivers folder.
>>>

>>So once we've find the file what we should do to be able to play at doom3
>>

>nothing, this is a pointless thread about a non-existent problem.
>Everyone who is running Windows XP has secdrv.sys on their system.

Heuh true the game works fine here.

I have it and I have no games on my system right now.

Markeau wrote:
> Inglo wrote:
>> SecDrv.sys gets installed with windows xp. I think it's
responsible
>> for those C07ft5Y registry entries you may get from time to time.
>
> No secdrv.sys on my xppro and it's got every optional package
> installed.

DOH ok i guess search subfolders or hidden files was not enabled ...
yes it's there

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 02:57:26 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> said:
>
>> My bad... the filename is actually "SECDRV.SYS"
>
>System Shock 2 also installs it.
>
>--
>Mac Cool

secdrv.sys is part of the Safedisk launcher.
Usual component of any Safedisk-protected software.
Been around for a long time............

Copy-breaking tweaks to circumvent Safedisk will
automatically ignore this file.

Don't worry be happy.

John Lewis

NFS: Underground has the file in its game directory. Doom III didn't install
it, at least not with my copy.

> My bad... the filename is actually "SECDRV.SYS"
>
> Found it in Windows\System32\Drivers.
>
> I've renamed it, but who knows what difference it will make.

On 8/3/2004 4:51 PM Markeau brightened our day with:

>Markeau wrote:
>

>DOH ok i guess search subfolders or hidden files was not enabled ...
>yes it's there

*End of pointless thread*

--

Steve [Inglo]