Buffer overrun detected

I don't know if this is a security problem or not, but occasionally I get a
popup dialog box with the following message:
Buffer overrun detected
PF\MS_Update\Ms_Services2.exe
Corrupted the program's internal state
What is going on and how can I correct it. Thanks.
Jack
1 answer Last reply
More about buffer overrun detected

    Jackson K McAfee wrote:

    >I don't know if this is a security problem or not, but occasionally I get a
    >popup dialog box with the following message:
    > Buffer overrun detected
    > PF\MS_Update\Ms_Services2.exe
    > Corrupted the program's internal state
    >What is going on and how can I correct it. Thanks.

    Looks like you have been slimed with Adware. See, e.g.

    http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/adware.eboard.html

    Try running Ad Aware SE or its equivalent to remove it. Then proceed
    straight to Windows Update and make sure you have all of the available
    critical updates.

    Ken

Security Microsoft Windows XP