x800 XT PE VPU Lockups Help!!!

feng

I installed my x800 XT PE a couple of days ago and am experiecing some
lockups in Doom 3 and Planetside with AS and AA settings turned up
high.

The problem occurs after a while of gameplay i.e. 10 minutes or so.
When I had VPUR turned on it would recover (sometimes) other times it
would lock up properly. Now I have turned off VPUR it just locks up
without recovery. This only seems to happen when the VPU is heavily
stressed it seems to run CS fine.

I have tried with Fast Writes On/Off, AGP Speed at x8 and x4 and I
have tried Omega drivers and Catalyst 4.7's but the same problem still
occurs. Can anyone help me please? :(

Athlon 3200+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe (nForce2)
Sapphire Radeon x800 XT PE @ 520/560 MHz (Stock)
1024 Mb Corsair Value PC3200 CL2.5
Antec 480W Truepower PSU

In article <930cbd1e.0408021120.1c4ba041@posting.google.com>,
feng@fching.freeserve.co.uk (Feng) wrote:

> The problem occurs after a while of gameplay i.e. 10 minutes or so.

With ambient temps as high as they are at the moment I'd say it's got to
be heat. I have an extra fan (Zalman bracket fan bent to blow onto the GPU
side to boost the onboard fan) blowing onto my card, *and* the side of the
case is off until the hot spell's over. Try that first (and blowing a desk
fan into the case if you have one). If that solves the problem you'll know
it's down to heat.

Andrew McP