trouble with activeX

I am having trouble apparantly with activeX. When I go to start, run and
type services.msc I get a message that my current security settings prohibit
running activeX controls on this page. Also when I click on mcafee in the
system tray the security center box comes up but its blank. Not sure if
these are related. Funny thing is I have the exact same settings, activeX
settings, etc. on two different computers, a desktop and a laptop. I am
only having trouble with the laptop. Any suggestions.
7 answers Last reply
More about trouble activex

    In news:E30B53F8-CF1B-445B-98D5-012D3BB95BCC@microsoft.com,
    Henry <Henry@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I am having trouble apparantly with activeX. When I go to start, run
    > and type services.msc I get a message that my current security
    > settings prohibit running activeX controls on this page. Also when I
    > click on mcafee in the system tray the security center box comes up
    > but its blank. Not sure if these are related. Funny thing is I have
    > the exact same settings, activeX settings, etc. on two different
    > computers, a desktop and a laptop. I am only having trouble with the
    > laptop. Any suggestions.

    Err... I'm going to risk it and give this as my thoughts on it though I
    don't know why it would effect the services.msc function.

    Open Internet Explorer, click on tools, click on the security tab, click on
    the My Computer icon, click on custom, and see if ActiveX is disabled... Is
    it? If so try to enable it and then see if the functions work for you.

    Keep in mind that I'm just basically guessing at what MIGHT be causing that
    but it sounds logical. I tried a search engine but didn't get any hits that
    gave me any answers so I guess that this might be the answer. Can't hurt to
    try I suppose...

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    I tried this. Didn't work. I also just discovered that I cannot get to my
    hotmail account, can't even type in hotmail.com and get to their site. Just
    get a blank page. Strange.

    In news:22A84053-AA33-4870-A2E0-F6115FF0A135@microsoft.com,
    hbridges <hbridges@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I tried this. Didn't work. I also just discovered that I cannot get
    > to my hotmail account, can't even type in hotmail.com and get to
    > their site. Just get a blank page. Strange.

    I haven't much to do tonight anyhow so why not? Do you have SP2 installed?
    Not that I know the answer, I just want to know what to start looking for
    and to see if I can recreate the error or the like.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    I do have sp2 installed and i have also tried what Taurarian mentioned. No
    luck. Thanks for your help.

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:22A84053-AA33-4870-A2E0-F6115FF0A135@microsoft.com,
    > hbridges <hbridges@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    >

    > > I tried this. Didn't work. I also just discovered that I cannot get
    > > to my hotmail account, can't even type in hotmail.com and get to
    > > their site. Just get a blank page. Strange.
    >
    > I haven't much to do tonight anyhow so why not? Do you have SP2 installed?
    > Not that I know the answer, I just want to know what to start looking for
    > and to see if I can recreate the error or the like.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
    > the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
    > in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
    > stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
    > mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Try re-registering the following .dll files
    Softpub.dll
    Wintrust.dll
    Initpki.dll
    Urlmon.dll

    1. Click Start >Run and type
    regsvr32 Softpub.dll
    Click okay to register it
    You should get a dialog box telling you that it was successful.
    2. Repeat the process for the other .dll files.
    3. Restart your computer and try the update site again.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];174360
    How to Use Security Zones in Internet Explorer

    Henry wrote:
    > I am having trouble apparantly with activeX. When I go to start, run
    > and type services.msc I get a message that my current security
    > settings prohibit running activeX controls on this page. Also when I
    > click on mcafee in the system tray the security center box comes up
    > but its blank. Not sure if these are related. Funny thing is I have
    > the exact same settings, activeX settings, etc. on two different
    > computers, a desktop and a laptop. I am only having trouble with the
    > laptop. Any suggestions.

    Tried that but the items mentioned still dont work.

    In news:56FDEEEC-5265-40C3-B2A1-30DBEC33ED19@microsoft.com,
    hbridges <hbridges@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I do have sp2 installed and i have also tried what Taurarian
    > mentioned. No luck. Thanks for your help.

    From everything that I am reading it looks as if this is perhaps a
    spyware/malware issue or a trojan though they now fit in the same category
    often times. I'd recommend a good cleaning in safe mode with restore
    disabled and seeing if that clears up the problem. There's a number of
    anti-spyware programs out there but I have been using the Microsoft
    Anti-Spyware application and it's been pretty good to me so far. Make sure
    that you use the updated definition files with your anti-virus and
    anti-trojan scans as well.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Security Activex Windows XP