Should I buy a 9500 Pro?

I have a Ti4200 which has held it's own very well for the 2.5 years I've
had it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX9 card and I hope to only
spend ~$100. I'm eyeing a 9500Pro. Benchmarks put it slightly above a
9600XT, slightly better than an FX5700 and close to an FX5900.

They can be found for close to a hundred bucks but they don't seem to be
very popular. Are there any negatives to this card?
--
Mac Cool
21 answers Last reply

    i dont think they make it anymore, but i bet u can find it somewhere.. .i
    hear it has 8 pipelines but only 4 are enabled, and u can turn it into a
    9800 pro (which has 8 pipelines) with a tiny flash. never tried it nor can
    confirm if it is true, but it seems like a good deal for 100 bucks if u can
    do that.

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Ti4200 which has held it's own very well for the 2.5 years I've
    > had it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX9 card and I hope to only
    > spend ~$100. I'm eyeing a 9500Pro. Benchmarks put it slightly above a
    > 9600XT, slightly better than an FX5700 and close to an FX5900.
    >
    > They can be found for close to a hundred bucks but they don't seem to be
    > very popular. Are there any negatives to this card?
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    9500 non-pros could be flashed to 9700 pros but most didn't work without
    artifacts. Unfortunately mine was one of those so I returned it for the
    9500 pro which has 8 working pipelines but only 128 bit memory access which
    made it slower than the 9700 pro (8 pipelines, 256bit memory) but almost as
    expensive to make which is why ATI stopped making them asap. It's a great
    card if you can find one. If you flash the bios with an aftermarket bios
    you can often overclock to almost 9700 levels but it's still going to be a
    little slower.
    http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33654157
    I never tried this because my amd xp2200+ and ecsk7s5a can't keep up with
    the stock 9500 pro.

    "Robert Jackson" <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote in message
    > i dont think they make it anymore, but i bet u can find it somewhere.. .i
    > hear it has 8 pipelines but only 4 are enabled, and u can turn it into a
    > 9800 pro (which has 8 pipelines) with a tiny flash. never tried it nor can
    > confirm if it is true, but it seems like a good deal for 100 bucks if u
    can
    > do that.
    >
    > "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a Ti4200 which has held it's own very well for the 2.5 years I've
    > > had it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX9 card and I hope to only
    > > spend ~$100. I'm eyeing a 9500Pro. Benchmarks put it slightly above a
    > > 9600XT, slightly better than an FX5700 and close to an FX5900.
    > >
    > > They can be found for close to a hundred bucks but they don't seem to be
    > > very popular. Are there any negatives to this card?
    > > --
    > > Mac Cool

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Ti4200 which has held it's own very well for the 2.5 years I've
    > had it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX9 card and I hope to only
    > spend ~$100. I'm eyeing a 9500Pro. Benchmarks put it slightly above a
    > 9600XT, slightly better than an FX5700 and close to an FX5900.

    It's a decent card, but you're off base about it's performance. Don't know
    of too many tests showing a 9500 Pro outperforming a 9600XT, 5700 or even
    remotely close to a 5900. Check out Tom's Hardware comparisons for yourself.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-01.html

    "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> said:

    > It's a decent card, but you're off base about it's performance.
    > Don't know of too many tests showing a 9500 Pro outperforming a
    > 9600XT, 5700 or even remotely close to a 5900. Check out Tom's
    > Hardware comparisons for yourself.
    >
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-01.html

    I checked them out myself and they substantiate everything I wrote. In
    most of the benchmarks the 9500Pro either ties or beats the 9600XT, in
    most of the benchmarks the 9500Pro soundly beats the 5700 and 5700U, in
    the High Quality (4xFSAA + 8x Anis) UT2K3 benchmarks the 9500Pro comes
    within 3fps of the 5900. I would say it's a damn good card for the money,
    wouldn't you?
    --
    Mac Cool

    Depends on what your spending. You can probably get a 9700 pro or np for
    about 100 bucks now on ebay and have a finer card for the same amount of
    money..

    > "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> said:
    >
    > > It's a decent card, but you're off base about it's performance.
    > > Don't know of too many tests showing a 9500 Pro outperforming a
    > > 9600XT, 5700 or even remotely close to a 5900. Check out Tom's
    > > Hardware comparisons for yourself.
    > >
    > > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-01.html
    >
    > I checked them out myself and they substantiate everything I wrote. In
    > most of the benchmarks the 9500Pro either ties or beats the 9600XT, in
    > most of the benchmarks the 9500Pro soundly beats the 5700 and 5700U, in
    > the High Quality (4xFSAA + 8x Anis) UT2K3 benchmarks the 9500Pro comes
    > within 3fps of the 5900. I would say it's a damn good card for the money,
    > wouldn't you?
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    Yeah, I had a 9500 pro (still have it in the spare rig) and it was a wonderful overclocker,
    especially when I put an arctic cooler on it. The cards cannot be modded as such (they already have
    all 8 pipelines enabled), although you tended to have to Flash them anyway because the BIOS on a lot
    of them prevented you overclocking.

    They are 'not commonly available' rather than 'not popular', because ATI stopped producing them
    rather quikcly, although they are generally better than the 9600s, which are basically cheaper
    versions of the same thing (the switch was for economic reasons to do with fabrication). Oh, there
    was also a batch of early 9500 pros with banding issues (you got a very faint band going down the
    screen if you were displaying white backgrounds - such as when you are word processing). The issue
    there was that some idiot removed a big capacitor in the RF circuitry to save on costs, and it was
    very quickly fixed. IF you are buying on Ebay, I would certainly ask the seller if they see banding
    on the card before you start bidding, especially if you use authoring software as well as games. If
    you look at the NG archives and search on 'banding' or 'RF noise' you will probably get all the info
    you need to be aware of the issue)

    I remember being pleasantly surprised with my 9500 pro being able to play the Far cry demo well at
    relatively high settings, although I have subsequently upgraded to a 9800 pro. That was due to the
    tempting price differential between the two, and despite everything good about the 9500 pro, I would
    certainly recommend a 9800 pro if you want a cheap upgrade but also want to protect your investment
    for a while. The only issue with the 9800 pro is that it is a very hot card and you really need to
    take the stock heatsink off and put an arctic on it, as some of the other posts about Doom 3 are
    showing up

    Mac Cool wrote:
    > I have a Ti4200 which has held it's own very well for the 2.5 years
    > I've had it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX9 card and I hope
    > to only spend ~$100. I'm eyeing a 9500Pro. Benchmarks put it slightly
    > above a 9600XT, slightly better than an FX5700 and close to an FX5900.
    >
    > They can be found for close to a hundred bucks but they don't seem to
    > be very popular. Are there any negatives to this card?

    Hi,
    I have a 9700 pro Hurcules 3D Prophet with Zalman heatsink for sale after
    upgrading to x800pro.

    £60.00 and it's goes to who ever pays via Paypal first or cheque cleared.

    Spence

    "Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Yeah, I had a 9500 pro (still have it in the spare rig) and it was a
    wonderful overclocker,
    > especially when I put an arctic cooler on it. The cards cannot be modded
    as such (they already have
    > all 8 pipelines enabled), although you tended to have to Flash them anyway
    because the BIOS on a lot
    > of them prevented you overclocking.
    >
    > They are 'not commonly available' rather than 'not popular', because ATI
    stopped producing them
    > rather quikcly, although they are generally better than the 9600s, which
    are basically cheaper
    > versions of the same thing (the switch was for economic reasons to do with
    fabrication). Oh, there
    > was also a batch of early 9500 pros with banding issues (you got a very
    faint band going down the
    > screen if you were displaying white backgrounds - such as when you are
    word processing). The issue
    > there was that some idiot removed a big capacitor in the RF circuitry to
    save on costs, and it was
    > very quickly fixed. IF you are buying on Ebay, I would certainly ask the
    seller if they see banding
    > on the card before you start bidding, especially if you use authoring
    software as well as games. If
    > you look at the NG archives and search on 'banding' or 'RF noise' you will
    probably get all the info
    > you need to be aware of the issue)
    >
    > I remember being pleasantly surprised with my 9500 pro being able to play
    the Far cry demo well at
    > relatively high settings, although I have subsequently upgraded to a 9800
    pro. That was due to the
    > tempting price differential between the two, and despite everything good
    about the 9500 pro, I would
    > certainly recommend a 9800 pro if you want a cheap upgrade but also want
    to protect your investment
    > for a while. The only issue with the 9800 pro is that it is a very hot
    card and you really need to
    > take the stock heatsink off and put an arctic on it, as some of the other
    posts about Doom 3 are
    > showing up

    > Mac Cool wrote:
    > > I have a Ti4200 which has held it's own very well for the 2.5 years
    > > I've had it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX9 card and I hope
    > > to only spend ~$100. I'm eyeing a 9500Pro. Benchmarks put it slightly
    > > above a 9600XT, slightly better than an FX5700 and close to an FX5900.
    > >
    > > They can be found for close to a hundred bucks but they don't seem to
    > > be very popular. Are there any negatives to this card?

    > You can probably get a 9700 pro or np for
    > about 100 bucks

    maybe $150, the 9500Pros are around $85

    It is NOT DX9 capable, for the newest games.

    --
    DaveW

    Sometime on, or about Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:34:11 GMT, DaveW wrote:

    > It is NOT DX9 capable, for the newest games.

    What makes you say that? I own this card and the specifications for it
    say that it has DirectX 9 support.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    Sam wrote:

    > Sometime on, or about Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:34:11 GMT, DaveW wrote:
    >
    >> It is NOT DX9 capable, for the newest games.
    >
    > What makes you say that? I own this card and the specifications for it
    > say that it has DirectX 9 support.

    DaveW appears to be a 'bot that posts this nonsense every time anybody asks
    a question about an ATI board and DX9. He apologized a while back but now
    he's back to it. Just plonk the twit.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Mac Cool wrote:

    > I have a Ti4200 which has held it's own very well for the 2.5 years I've
    > had it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX9 card and I hope to only
    > spend ~$100. I'm eyeing a 9500Pro. Benchmarks put it slightly above a
    > 9600XT, slightly better than an FX5700 and close to an FX5900.
    >
    > They can be found for close to a hundred bucks but they don't seem to be
    > very popular. Are there any negatives to this card?

    It's out of production and a generation and a half old. The 9500s use the
    same chip as the 9700s, but the pros are permanently crippled--some of the
    non-pros would softmod into 9700s. The 9600/9800 came out very shortly
    after the 9500/9700 to address what was essentially a marketing issue--the
    GeForce FX supported a greater instruction count in the pixel shader than
    did the 9500/9700, so the new chip for the 9600/9800 addressed that.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    What the 9700 pro?

    One of the first cards to utilise DX9.

    Spence

    > It is NOT DX9 capable, for the newest games.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a Ti4200 which has held it's own very well for the 2.5 years I've
    > > had it, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX9 card and I hope to only
    > > spend ~$100. I'm eyeing a 9500Pro. Benchmarks put it slightly above a
    > > 9600XT, slightly better than an FX5700 and close to an FX5900.
    > >
    > > They can be found for close to a hundred bucks but they don't seem to be
    > > very popular. Are there any negatives to this card?
    > > --
    > > Mac Cool

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Spencer" <warthog@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > What the 9700 pro?
    >
    > One of the first cards to utilise DX9.

    I though the 9600 xt was...

    --
    Gareee©
    Homepage:

    Gareee© wrote:

    > "Spencer" <warthog@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> What the 9700 pro?
    >>
    >> One of the first cards to utilise DX9.
    >
    > I though the 9600 xt was...

    No. 9600XT is a faster 9600 with onboard temperature monitoring. And a
    9600 is a crippled 9700 with more instruction depth in the pixel shader.

    The R300 was ATI's first DX9 chip, used in the Radeon 9500 and 9700 series.
    Nvidia was crowing about how much "better" their pixel shader was so ATI
    brought out the R350 with an improved shader to knock the wind out of their
    sales:) At the same time, the R300-based 9500s were far too easy to mod
    into 9700s so ATI brought out the RV350 which is crippled at the silicon
    level and so not moddable into a 9800. Later, they went to a new
    manufacturing process that allows higher clock speeds, which led to the
    R360 and RV360 chips used in the XTs--other than the new manufacturing
    process the only real change is the onboard temperature monitor. Now all
    ATI production is based on the 360 series and many non-XT boards can be
    soft-modded into XTs as a result.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I thought it did.. I just bought 2 new cards.. sure hope they do!

    --
    Gareee©
    Homepage:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/ellison/86/mainframe.htm
    Custom Figures, Wallpapers and more!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Gareee© wrote:

    > I thought it did.. I just bought 2 new cards.. sure hope they do!

    Anybody who tells you that any ATI board with a number "9500" or higher does
    _not_ have DirectX 9 support is lying to you.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    The 9500 pro was not crippled, it used the same gpu as the 9700 pro but
    used 128 bit memory instead of the 256 bit memory of the 9700 pro. It had
    the full 8 pipelines enabled unlike the 9500 which required a mod to enable
    them but only if the 9500 was using a 9700 pcb.

    Rob.

    > It's out of production and a generation and a half old. The 9500s use the
    > same chip as the 9700s, but the pros are permanently crippled--some of the
    > non-pros would softmod into 9700s. The 9600/9800 came out very shortly
    > after the 9500/9700 to address what was essentially a marketing issue--the
    > GeForce FX supported a greater instruction count in the pixel shader than
    > did the 9500/9700, so the new chip for the 9600/9800 addressed that.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Mustafa Krap wrote:

    > The 9500 pro was not crippled, it used the same gpu as the 9700 pro but
    > used 128 bit memory instead of the 256 bit memory of the 9700 pro.

    Which constitutes crippling.

    > It had
    > the full 8 pipelines enabled unlike the 9500 which required a mod to
    > enable them but only if the 9500 was using a 9700 pcb.
    >
    > Rob.
    >
    >> It's out of production and a generation and a half old. The 9500s use
    >> the same chip as the 9700s, but the pros are permanently crippled--some
    >> of the
    >> non-pros would softmod into 9700s. The 9600/9800 came out very shortly
    >> after the 9500/9700 to address what was essentially a marketing
    >> issue--the GeForce FX supported a greater instruction count in the pixel
    >> shader than did the 9500/9700, so the new chip for the 9600/9800
    >> addressed that.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > Mustafa Krap wrote:
    >
    > > The 9500 pro was not crippled, it used the same gpu as the 9700 pro but
    > > used 128 bit memory instead of the 256 bit memory of the 9700 pro.
    >
    > Which constitutes crippling.
    >
    > > It had
    > > the full 8 pipelines enabled unlike the 9500 which required a mod to
    > > enable them but only if the 9500 was using a 9700 pcb.

    No it wasn't crippled! The 9500 pro was designed right from the start to
    only have a 128 bit memory bus, nothing was disabled and it could do
    everything that the 9700 pro could do but with half the bandwidth.

    Rob.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Spencer" <warthog@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message news:<410f9206_2@news.athenanews.com>...
    > Hi,
    > I have a 9700 pro Hurcules 3D Prophet with Zalman heatsink for sale after
    > upgrading to x800pro.
    >
    > £60.00 and it's goes to who ever pays via Paypal first or cheque cleared.
    >
    > Spence

    i will be interested in a 9700. do you ship to germany?

    marcel

Radeon ATI Graphics