Services, Processes & Startup items that are safe to disable and why

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hi all.

I wish to compile a list of Services, Processes & Start-up items that are safe to disable with reasons as to why.

Primarily targeting Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit, x86 edition) to start with, then leveraging from there.

This will enable faster boot ups, and much more responsive systems.

I do not wish to cover registry tweaks, fsutils, or other tweaks outside this scope - at least not in this topic!

I also wish to discuss various ways to start/stop, end, disable, etc these items. Including batch files that just end processes.

For example, how to create a batch file to perform the following:

■1) Terminate everything you may want to stop prior to loading an intensive application (such as a game)
■2) Wait 20 seconds
■3) Do it again up to three times (as most auto reloads of services give up after their process is terminated three times - this is standard Microsoft Windows behaviour).
■4) Wait 20 minutes and do it again or terminate.

Specifically I have an interest in terminating, or ideally not even loading:

1) Services, Processes & Start-up items that are memory intensive but do not use much CPU Time.

■That is, Services, Processes & Start-up items with a large Peak Working Set, Private Working Set, and Working Set.

2) Services, Processes & Start-up items that perform an excessive amount of Page Faults (hard, or soft).

3) Services, Processes & Start-up items that perform an excessive amount of storage I/O (Reads, Writes & Other).

4) Other undesirable Services, Processes & Start-up items.

I believe that this is the kind of task that would both require & strongly benefit community input.

As a user I am only currently running 11 processes, however there are currently 49 processes running on my system.

They are easily split into categories:

■LOCAL SERVICE
■NETWORK SERVICE
■ (LOCAL) SYSTEM

■Microsoft or 3rd party

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Hello, I do also think this topic is interesting and worth setting up some known working optimizations. I do belive that you should not try to terminate the processes/services while running, but disabling them to not start at all. The other way should very likely lead to system instability.