Recovering (decrypting) efs files after a machine failure

Greetings!

My laptop died, an important file was left encrypted by my foolishness.
Luckily, the disk (all user profiles, data) was spared, and I was able
to mount the laptop disk on my desktop. However, I kept getting an
"access denied" error for the EFS file. I have no designated recovery
agent. Based on web search, I followed directions using "brief and
advanced" options, at the following web site (effectively setup the
machine id and user values to match by creating a dummy Windows XP
install and copying over the crypto, protect and SystemCertificates
folders of the new user (under c:\Document and
Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft folder) :

http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

I was successful in opening my encrypted text file but all the text
inside the file is now garbage. What am I doing wrong ? Are there any
alternative ways of recovering EFS files ? Any help will be gratefully
appreciated!!
1 answer Last reply
More about recovering decrypting files machine failure

    You are able to look into the file but it is still encrypted. Without the
    keys the file is history - you will never be able to unscramble it.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    <googledude@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings!
    >
    > My laptop died, an important file was left encrypted by my foolishness.
    > Luckily, the disk (all user profiles, data) was spared, and I was able
    > to mount the laptop disk on my desktop. However, I kept getting an
    > "access denied" error for the EFS file. I have no designated recovery
    > agent. Based on web search, I followed directions using "brief and
    > advanced" options, at the following web site (effectively setup the
    > machine id and user values to match by creating a dummy Windows XP
    > install and copying over the crypto, protect and SystemCertificates
    > folders of the new user (under c:\Document and
    > Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft folder) :
    >
    > http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/
    >
    > I was successful in opening my encrypted text file but all the text
    > inside the file is now garbage. What am I doing wrong ? Are there any
    > alternative ways of recovering EFS files ? Any help will be gratefully
    > appreciated!!

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP