New Machine on Network Can't See Other Machines Files

I just set up a new machine on my home network with XP Professional. I ran
the Networking Setup Wizard and succeeded in getting the new machine so it
could share the internet connection and see the web; however, it is unable
to see other machines on its workgroup. I'm using the same user id and
password (for an adminstrative user) on the new machine as the others, and
all the other machines can see each other just fine. The other machines can
see the new machine, too, but not any folders on it. (I made sure I shared
one.)

The message I get, in both directions, is

TUVXYZ [the workgroup name] is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions.

All the machines are running XP with service pack 2 and all current updates.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Greg D
9 answers Last reply
More about machine network machines files

    Can you ping the other machines? Double check and make sure printer and file
    sharing are enabled.
    You might be able to try booting into safemode with networking to isolate
    the problem.

    "Greg Dunn" wrote:

    > I just set up a new machine on my home network with XP Professional. I ran
    > the Networking Setup Wizard and succeeded in getting the new machine so it
    > could share the internet connection and see the web; however, it is unable
    > to see other machines on its workgroup. I'm using the same user id and
    > password (for an adminstrative user) on the new machine as the others, and
    > all the other machines can see each other just fine. The other machines can
    > see the new machine, too, but not any folders on it. (I made sure I shared
    > one.)
    >
    > The message I get, in both directions, is
    >
    > TUVXYZ [the workgroup name] is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this network resource.
    > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    > access permissions.
    >
    > All the machines are running XP with service pack 2 and all current updates.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Greg D

    No, I am unable to ping the other machines. What does that indicate?

    Greg d

    "mobilePCtech" <mobilePCtech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can you ping the other machines? Double check and make sure printer and
    > file
    > sharing are enabled.
    > You might be able to try booting into safemode with networking to isolate
    > the problem.
    >
    > "Greg Dunn" wrote:
    >
    >> I just set up a new machine on my home network with XP Professional. I
    >> ran
    >> the Networking Setup Wizard and succeeded in getting the new machine so
    >> it
    >> could share the internet connection and see the web; however, it is
    >> unable
    >> to see other machines on its workgroup. I'm using the same user id and
    >> password (for an adminstrative user) on the new machine as the others,
    >> and
    >> all the other machines can see each other just fine. The other machines
    >> can
    >> see the new machine, too, but not any folders on it. (I made sure I
    >> shared
    >> one.)
    >>
    >> The message I get, in both directions, is
    >>
    >> TUVXYZ [the workgroup name] is not accessible. You might not
    >> have
    >> permission to use this network resource.
    >> Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    >> access permissions.
    >>
    >> All the machines are running XP with service pack 2 and all current
    >> updates.
    >>
    >> What am I missing?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Greg D

    If I start in Safe Mode with networking, what should I then test?

    Greg Dunn wrote:

    > If I start in Safe Mode with networking, what should I then test?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg d
    >
    > "mobilePCtech" <mobilePCtech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:38AD1A66-4B8A-4476-92B1-9B88739CE26D@microsoft.com...
    >> Can you ping the other machines? Double check and make sure printer
    >> and file
    >> sharing are enabled.
    >> You might be able to try booting into safemode with networking to
    >> isolate the problem.

    It sounds like a firewall problem. Your new XP machine probably has
    Service Pack 2. Service Pack 2 automatically enables the Windows
    Firewall. If you are not running a third-party firewall, go to the
    Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel and enable File & Printer
    Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you are using a third-party firewall
    (and have properly configured it to allow your lan traffic as Trusted),
    then turn the Windows Firewall off. You don't want two firewalls
    running, and a third-party program will be better than the WF. All
    firewalls must be properly configured to allow lan traffic as Trusted.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks, Malke.

    Yes, I've installed SP2 on both machines, and am using only the Windows
    firewall.[1] The File and Print Sharing option is enabled on both. But
    even if I turn the Windows firewall off on both machines, I get the
    following behavior:

    On the original machine, I am able to see the new machine under Microsoft
    Windows Network\WorkgroupX. However, if I try to click on the new machine
    (under Workgroup X), I get the following message:

    \\NewMachine is not available. You may not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    you have access permissions.

    The network path was not found.

    On the new machine, if I try to click on the WorkgroupX folder under
    Microsoft Windows Network, I get the message I cited previously:

    WorkgroupX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    this network resource.
    Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    access permissions.

    What should I look at next?

    Greg

    [1] There is a firewall on the gateway that connects the network to the
    internet, but that has never gotten in the machine of machine-to-machine
    communications within the network.

    Greg Dunn wrote:

    > Thanks, Malke.
    >
    > Yes, I've installed SP2 on both machines, and am using only the
    > Windows
    > firewall.[1] The File and Print Sharing option is enabled on both.
    > But even if I turn the Windows firewall off on both machines, I get
    > the following behavior:
    >
    > On the original machine, I am able to see the new machine under
    > Microsoft
    > Windows Network\WorkgroupX. However, if I try to click on the new
    > machine (under Workgroup X), I get the following message:

    > \\NewMachine is not available. You may not have permission to use
    > this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
    > find out if you have access permissions.
    >
    > The network path was not found.

    Since you have XP Pro and have made identical user accounts/passwords on
    both machines, make sure Simple Sharing is turned off on both machines
    (from Folder options). Here is a link to an article about sharing in XP
    Pro:

    If that doesn't help, then carefully take the time to go through this
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    It will pinpoint the problem area(s). If you need more help after
    completing the t-shooter, post back with the results.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    Malke:

    Thanks very much for those links and your other assistance. I have solved
    the problem (before using the XP Network Problem Solver). Just to complete
    the record here for anybody who Googles this in the future, it was a
    combination of the following things:

    1. I am configuring the new machine as a Virtual PC host, a fact I did not
    mention before because it seemed (and in many ways is) an irrelevant
    complication. But in any event, in configuring the new machine, I had both
    the main, or host, version of Windows XP, and a virtual machine (and then
    eventually a second virtual machine) running under that host copy of XP.
    The only real relevance of all this is that my suggestion to anyone doing
    the same would be to make sure all your communications are running properly
    on the host copy of the OS before setting up any virtual machines, just to
    reduce the potential for confusion.

    2. As it turns out, there *was* an additional firewall running on the new
    machine - part of PC-Cillin, a 90-day trial copy of which I installed for
    temporary virus protection. Turning it off was the main thing that solved
    the problem. And that, of course, was the first thing you suggested that I
    look at.

    One additional note: once the extra firewall had been turned off, several
    seconds and a number of forced refreshes were required to get the the
    virtual machine running on the same box to show up on the network. The
    established machines didn't show up at first, even with several forced
    refreshes. But after I left the computer for a period of a time, came back
    to it, and checked again, there they were. If anybody understands the
    reason for this latency, I would like to know the explanation. It certainly
    added to the confusion.

    3. One of the two new machines involved (the host, or the first virtual) did
    have Simple File Sharing enabled (setting available through Tools / Folder
    Options / View tab in Windows Explorer), so that needed to be unchecked.

    4. There was also an issue with a programmable keyboard that I use, in that
    I'm not sure the password I entered on the new host machine exactly matched
    the one on the old machine because when I entered it, I may not yet have had
    the key re-mapping set properly for the new machine. I won't elaborate on
    this since it's a highest esoteric problem.

    Thank you again, Malke, for your invaluable assistance; and thanks also to
    mobilePCtech for your initial response regarding my problem.

    Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn wrote:

    > Malke:
    >
    > Thanks very much for those links and your other assistance. I have
    > solved
    > the problem (before using the XP Network Problem Solver). Just to
    > complete the record here for anybody who Googles this in the future,
    > it was a combination of the following things:
    >
    > 1. I am configuring the new machine as a Virtual PC host, a fact I did
    > not mention before because it seemed (and in many ways is) an
    > irrelevant
    > complication. But in any event, in configuring the new machine, I had
    > both the main, or host, version of Windows XP, and a virtual machine
    > (and then eventually a second virtual machine) running under that host
    > copy of XP. The only real relevance of all this is that my suggestion
    > to anyone doing the same would be to make sure all your communications
    > are running properly on the host copy of the OS before setting up any
    > virtual machines, just to reduce the potential for confusion.
    >
    > 2. As it turns out, there *was* an additional firewall running on the
    > new machine - part of PC-Cillin, a 90-day trial copy of which I
    > installed for
    > temporary virus protection. Turning it off was the main thing that
    > solved
    > the problem. And that, of course, was the first thing you suggested
    > that I look at.
    >
    > One additional note: once the extra firewall had been turned off,
    > several seconds and a number of forced refreshes were required to get
    > the the
    > virtual machine running on the same box to show up on the network.
    > The established machines didn't show up at first, even with several
    > forced
    > refreshes. But after I left the computer for a period of a time, came
    > back
    > to it, and checked again, there they were. If anybody understands the
    > reason for this latency, I would like to know the explanation. It
    > certainly added to the confusion.
    >
    > 3. One of the two new machines involved (the host, or the first
    > virtual) did have Simple File Sharing enabled (setting available
    > through Tools / Folder Options / View tab in Windows Explorer), so
    > that needed to be unchecked.
    >
    > 4. There was also an issue with a programmable keyboard that I use, in
    > that I'm not sure the password I entered on the new host machine
    > exactly matched the one on the old machine because when I entered it,
    > I may not yet have had
    > the key re-mapping set properly for the new machine. I won't
    > elaborate on this since it's a highest esoteric problem.
    >
    > Thank you again, Malke, for your invaluable assistance; and thanks
    > also to mobilePCtech for your initial response regarding my problem.
    >
    > Greg Dunn

    Greg, thank you so much for taking the time to post the complete
    solution. Yes, as you discovered, giving the full circumstances would
    have been helpful. I would have referred you to the
    microsoft.public.virtualpc newsgroup, for one thing. I'm very happy
    that you got things working and it was generous of you to share the
    information. It will help someone else one day.

    Cheers, and have a good (insert localized time of day here),

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    Yes, as you discovered, giving the full circumstances would have been
    helpful. I would have referred you to the microsoft.public.virtualpc
    newsgroup, for one thing.
    <<

    Well, but...it really wasn't a Virtual PC issue: I don't want anyone to be
    left with that impression. Virtual PC just complicated the situation by
    allowing me to introduce some extra "machines" into the picture. The same
    situation would have been created if I'd put three new physical computers on
    the network at the same time. I felt that if I solved the problem for one
    of those machines, I'd have solved it for all of them, which in fact turned
    out to be the case.

    I did mean to mention that part of the failure in my process was that I
    didn't specifically test the inter-machine communications, once I got the
    new machine to see the internet. If I'd had checked those and realized they
    weren't working, I wouldn't have started installing the virtual machines
    until I got that problem solved on the host machine. But again, it would
    have been no different if I had been setting up multiple new physical
    machines on the network.

    Thanks again,

    Greg

> [...]
    >> exactly matched the one on the old machine because when I entered it,
    >> I may not yet have had
    >> the key re-mapping set properly for the new machine. I won't
    >> elaborate on this since it's a highest esoteric problem.
    >>
    >> Thank you again, Malke, for your invaluable assistance; and thanks
    >> also to mobilePCtech for your initial response regarding my problem.
    >>
    >> Greg Dunn
    >>

    > Greg, thank you so much for taking the time to post the complete
    > solution. Yes, as you discovered, giving the full circumstances would
    > have been helpful. I would have referred you to the
    > microsoft.public.virtualpc newsgroup, for one thing. I'm very happy
    > that you got things working and it was generous of you to share the
    > information. It will help someone else one day.
    >
    > Cheers, and have a good (insert localized time of day here),

Internet Connection Windows XP