Task Manager and REGEDIT not allowed by Admin - but I'm th..

Our Windows XP Home machine has recently run into problems. I've used Norton
Internet security, NAV (latest updates), Spybot S&D, etc., and have fixed a
few problems but I still can't get Task Manager or Regedit to work from
either of 2 different administrator accounts (there are 5 accounts on the
computer). The message I get is that "Task Manager has been disables by the
administrator" in both cases.

Reading through the posts, I noted a similar problem and they recommended
running Antivirus scan in safe mode, but I can't get NAV to run in safe mode
(I get an error that it wants to report to Microsoft and shuts down).

Any help for this problem? Thanks in advance!
3 answers Last reply
More about task manager regedit allowed admin

    If you boot in safe mode and then go in under administrator account you may
    be able check the other user accounts for anything fishy, also check
    msconfig,start up, to what programs are running at boot up, try disabling all
    and see if your rights come back.

    "Closeshubby" wrote:

    > Our Windows XP Home machine has recently run into problems. I've used Norton
    > Internet security, NAV (latest updates), Spybot S&D, etc., and have fixed a
    > few problems but I still can't get Task Manager or Regedit to work from
    > either of 2 different administrator accounts (there are 5 accounts on the
    > computer). The message I get is that "Task Manager has been disables by the
    > administrator" in both cases.
    >
    > Reading through the posts, I noted a similar problem and they recommended
    > running Antivirus scan in safe mode, but I can't get NAV to run in safe mode
    > (I get an error that it wants to report to Microsoft and shuts down).
    >
    > Any help for this problem? Thanks in advance!

    Well, i was able to look at the boot files using msconfig and didn't see
    anything unusual. I disabled a number of the files I didn't know what they
    did and rebooted but I still can't get Task Manager or REGEDIT to run from
    some users. The error message in both cases is almost identical and is
    strange - very nicely written in a box with no error code - much unlike a
    typical MS message!

    The message is in a box with a big red X and the words "Task Manager has
    been disabled by your administrator". When I did go on in Safe mode, there
    were only 2 users - Administrator and Alex (the account with most of the
    problems). The other 4 did not show up at all.

    Any more thoughts - I just hate having to reload the entire system. If I
    build another user and destroy the one with a problem, will that remove the
    old user info from the registry (and maybe fix the problem)?

    Thanks again for all your help!

    Error Message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator"
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Taskmanager_error.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BC056824-B9F1-4277-8B34-60EF33C2620B@microsoft.com,
    Closeshubby <Closeshubby@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Well, i was able to look at the boot files using msconfig and didn't
    > see anything unusual. I disabled a number of the files I didn't know
    > what they did and rebooted but I still can't get Task Manager or
    > REGEDIT to run from some users. The error message in both cases is
    > almost identical and is strange - very nicely written in a box with
    > no error code - much unlike a typical MS message!
    >
    > The message is in a box with a big red X and the words "Task Manager
    > has been disabled by your administrator". When I did go on in Safe
    > mode, there were only 2 users - Administrator and Alex (the account
    > with most of the problems). The other 4 did not show up at all.
    >
    > Any more thoughts - I just hate having to reload the entire system.
    > If I build another user and destroy the one with a problem, will that
    > remove the old user info from the registry (and maybe fix the
    > problem)?
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help!

Regedit Task Manager Microsoft Windows XP