can't get into my old files

I have an old hard drive that has XP on it that I can't boot up anymore.
When I explore the drive all my old file folders are there but Windows won't
let me into them since I'm logged in using a different windows account. I
would like to be able to get to my old files so I can copy them and reformat
this drive. I do know my old username/password, but since windows won't boot
up on this drive I'm stuck...
2 answers Last reply
More about files

    TallVenusian wrote:
    > I have an old hard drive that has XP on it that I can't boot up anymore.
    > When I explore the drive all my old file folders are there but Windows won't
    > let me into them since I'm logged in using a different windows account. I
    > would like to be able to get to my old files so I can copy them and reformat
    > this drive. I do know my old username/password, but since windows won't boot
    > up on this drive I'm stuck...

    The username that you use to login is simply a convenience for us
    carbon-based life forms. It's meaningless to the OS. The operating
    system uses the SID (security identifier) to identify users and control
    their permissions. Each SID is unique, regardless of the username
    attached to it. As far as the OS is concerned, you're most definitely
    _not_ the same person who created those data files; ergo, you shouldn't
    blindly be granted access to them. You'll need to re-create your
    privileges to the files by taking "ownership" of them.

    HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I ended up just doing a "repair" install of XP on the drive and was able to
    get it back up and running. Looks like I got lucky and the only thing the
    reinstall screwed up was my anti-virus program which I can easily fix.
    Thanks for the reply though, I have several user accounts on this computer so
    it's good info to have..

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > TallVenusian wrote:
    > > I have an old hard drive that has XP on it that I can't boot up anymore.
    > > When I explore the drive all my old file folders are there but Windows won't
    > > let me into them since I'm logged in using a different windows account. I
    > > would like to be able to get to my old files so I can copy them and reformat
    > > this drive. I do know my old username/password, but since windows won't boot
    > > up on this drive I'm stuck...
    >

    > The username that you use to login is simply a convenience for us
    > carbon-based life forms. It's meaningless to the OS. The operating
    > system uses the SID (security identifier) to identify users and control
    > their permissions. Each SID is unique, regardless of the username
    > attached to it. As far as the OS is concerned, you're most definitely
    > _not_ the same person who created those data files; ergo, you shouldn't
    > blindly be granted access to them. You'll need to re-create your
    > privileges to the files by taking "ownership" of them.
    >
    > HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you: