help to reenable program that I accidentally blocked

I installed SP2 and am using the security features that pops up and tells you
a program is trying to access your computer, and the default is to block
access.

However, I accidentally blocked a program from Outlook Express and need to
unblock it.

What can I do to unblock my mistake?
1 answer Last reply
More about help reenable program accidentally blocked

    The best way to "unblock" the program is to go into the firewall
    configuration and create an exception for the particular program. The
    following KB has more information and good list of steps to accomplish this:

    Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service
    Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242

    <quote>

    Enable programs by using Windows Firewall
    If you do not click Unblock the program in the Security Alert dialog box,
    the program continues to be blocked. To enable a program by using Windows
    Firewall, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type wscui.cpl in
    the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Click Windows Firewall.
    3. In the Windows Firewall dialog box, click the Exceptions tab, and then
    click Add Program.
    4. In the Add a Program dialog box, either select the program from the list
    that appears, or click Browse to locate your program.

    If you cannot locate your program, see the next section.
    5. After you select your program, click OK.
    6. On the Exceptions tab, make sure that the check box next to your program
    is selected, and then click OK.

    Note If you later decide that you do not want the program to be an
    exception, clear this check box.
    Adding a program to the list of exceptions has the following advantages:
    • You do not have to know a specific port number. (By contrast, when you
    want to open a port, you have to know the number of the port that is used
    by the program. This is described later.)
    • The port that is used by the program that is on the list of exceptions
    will be open only when the program is waiting to receive a connection.

    </quote>
    --
    Curtis Koenig
    Security Support Engineer

    Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!

    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?Y2xlYXJseQ==?=" <clearly@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >Subject: help to reenable program that I accidentally blocked
    >Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:51:03 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    >
    >I installed SP2 and am using the security features that pops up and tells
    you
    >a program is trying to access your computer, and the default is to block
    >access.
    >
    >However, I accidentally blocked a program from Outlook Express and need to
    >unblock it.
    >
    >What can I do to unblock my mistake?

Security Microsoft Outlook Express Windows XP