FPS Far Cry - PLZ help

Hi guys.

After playin a lot of Far Cry v1.1 and tired of getting stutterin all
over the place I decided to get an extra 512 Mb of DDR pc3200 to make
it up at 1 Gb following most of peeps advice.

Well I am not happy (a lot of $$$ invested) and would like to know if
I could somehow improve my Far Cry experience.

here are my system spec

Barton 2500+ O.C. @ 3200+ (FSB 200Mhz) stock cooling
512 Mb Corsair XMS pc2700 cl2 (original memory with system)
512 Mb Corsair XMS pc3200 cl2 - dual channel 200 Mhz @ 4-4-8 (I guess
that it's becuz of O.C. pc2700 - it was given those by the mobo with
agressive settings)
Asus A7N8x Deluxe BIOS 1007
ATI AIW 9800 pro (256 bits) 128 Mb @ 400/360
Omega drivers based on catalyst 4.7
VGA silencer
no vsync
WinXP PRO (most MS services disabled)

If I let the game autodetect, it gives me standard video options (why?
don't I have a high spec system?).

If I turn all eye candy on (except no AA and no AF) at 1024*768 I get
with FRAPS some 10-20 FPS in outdoors scenes where I'm only goin
through nature without any ennemies in sight. Most of you say that
with a system similar to mine they get around 40-50 FPS with all eye
candy turned on.

What gives?

TIA you all

Axe Xango
8 answers Last reply
More about help

    > WinXP PRO (most MS services disabled)

    ? There's not a lot of MS services that really should be disabled. Well,
    messenger comes to mind of course... I think there was a couple other useless
    ones for business networks and such.

    Anyway, I'd look into how much other stuff is running in the background. I'm
    assuming you run some kind of anti-spy-ware program and antivirus?

    Also maybe tweak your AGP aperature size. I can't remember if what I was
    reading was refering to Far Cry or not. But some will recommened setting the
    aperature up to 128MB now. That'll really vary a lot, depending on how many
    textures are being loaded and how full the onboard ram is actually getting.
    With 128mb onboard I'd think it wouldn't really be a problem, but I don't know
    Far Cry myself.

    1. Don't listen to Johns. Asus motherboards are some of the finest in the
    industry. I've had 6 so far and all still work and overclock reasonably
    well. Do a little googling for "asus review" and the stars and thumbs up
    will speak for themselves. Also, your RAM configuration is far from
    out-of-the ordinary or complex and problematic. At worst your ram speed will
    be reduced to pc2700 on the pc3200 so the memory speeds are uniform and
    synced.

    2. Without knowing the details of CRYTech's system detection algorithm, all
    I can due is make an educated guess. Considering the differences between
    your system and my system (listed below) which gets autodetected at Very
    High settings for everything but texture quality (this is due to the 128mb
    of RAM versus 256mb RAM on the vid card), I would guess that your CPU is the
    deciding and limiting element.

    3. Why are you not satisfied with your performance? <-- that just sounds
    weird :) What AA, AF, and resolution settings are you running at? How bad
    is the gameplay and framerate?

    4. Adding 512mb ram will not speed up your maximum framerate... only your
    average frame rate. It will get rid of the hd swapping which kills FPS.

    -------------------------
    Windows XP (2600-Professional) w/ SP1
    AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache
    ASUS "A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi" K8T800 Pro
    VIA Hyperion 4in1 451v
    1024mb (2 x (512mb OCZ Platinum EL (2-3-2-5) DDR400/PC3200) Dual Channel)
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Catalyst 4.5) (C-378mhz / M-337.5mhz) OC to
    (C-411.75mhz / M-360.00mhz)
    SbAudigy 5.1 (PCI-Slot 3)

    120gb Western Digital WD1200JB primary/master
    60gb IBM 60gxp primary/slave
    16x HI-VAL DVDrom (BDV316C) secondary/master
    48x/24x/48x plextor (PX-W4824A) secondary/slave

    LianLi PC-6070 *Silent* Aluminum Mid-Tower Case | 2x80mm intake fans, 1x80mm
    exhaust fan
    PowerMax 470watt Aluminum PSU | +3.3V@26A +5V@47A +12V@28A
    -----------------------------
    --
    Tony DiMarzio
    djtone81@hotmail.com

    On 3 Aug 2004 09:31:30 -0700, axexango@hotmail.com (axexango) wrote:

    >Hi guys.
    >
    >After playin a lot of Far Cry v1.1 and tired of getting stutterin all
    >over the place I decided to get an extra 512 Mb of DDR pc3200 to make
    >it up at 1 Gb following most of peeps advice.
    >
    >Well I am not happy (a lot of $$$ invested) and would like to know if
    >I could somehow improve my Far Cry experience.
    >
    >here are my system spec
    >
    >Barton 2500+ O.C. @ 3200+ (FSB 200Mhz) stock cooling
    >512 Mb Corsair XMS pc2700 cl2 (original memory with system)
    >512 Mb Corsair XMS pc3200 cl2 - dual channel 200 Mhz @ 4-4-8 (I guess
    >that it's becuz of O.C. pc2700 - it was given those by the mobo with
    >agressive settings)
    >Asus A7N8x Deluxe BIOS 1007
    >ATI AIW 9800 pro (256 bits) 128 Mb @ 400/360
    >Omega drivers based on catalyst 4.7
    >VGA silencer
    >no vsync
    >WinXP PRO (most MS services disabled)
    >
    >If I let the game autodetect, it gives me standard video options (why?
    >don't I have a high spec system?).
    >
    >If I turn all eye candy on (except no AA and no AF) at 1024*768 I get
    >with FRAPS some 10-20 FPS in outdoors scenes where I'm only goin
    >through nature without any ennemies in sight. Most of you say that
    >with a system similar to mine they get around 40-50 FPS with all eye
    >candy turned on.
    >
    >What gives?
    >
    >TIA you all
    >
    >Axe Xango

    Do you have a dual channel mobo ? If so, you need to use MATCHING
    pairs of ram to get the benifit. Insert them in slot 1 and 3. Either
    dump the pc2700 or downgrade your new 3200.

    Pluvious

    This will take some time to do but partition your hard drive and have the
    first partition your Game System. The second partition can be your Business,
    internet , p2p etc partition.
    Your gaming partition will have only the operating system, drivers etc -
    nothing else running in the background.

    Did mine this way about a month ago and FarCry runs beautifully on this
    Games Partition. One of the biggest advantages is that when I have
    defragmenter analyze the game system it says it is not needed. This is after
    a month of running FarCry almost every day.
    Example of having a seperate partiton for just games :

    Free memory with just desktop - no programs running:
    Games Partition 379 free out of 512

    My second Business, internet p2p etc 166 free out of 512.

    Try it you will see a huge difference in your game performance.

    Asus A7V8X
    xp2500 not overclocked
    9800 pro 128 meg (256 bit)
    512 pc2700
    Omega Drivers.

> [...]

    > 512 Mb Corsair XMS pc2700 cl2 (original memory with system)
    > 512 Mb Corsair XMS pc3200 cl2 - dual channel 200 Mhz @ 4-4-8 (I guess
    > that it's becuz of O.C. pc2700 - it was given those by the mobo with
    > agressive settings)
    > Asus A7N8x Deluxe BIOS 1007
    > ATI AIW 9800 pro (256 bits) 128 Mb @ 400/360
    > Omega drivers based on catalyst 4.7
    > VGA silencer
    > no vsync
    > WinXP PRO (most MS services disabled)
    >
    > If I let the game autodetect, it gives me standard video options (why?
    > don't I have a high spec system?).
    >
    > If I turn all eye candy on (except no AA and no AF) at 1024*768 I get
    > with FRAPS some 10-20 FPS in outdoors scenes where I'm only goin
    > through nature without any ennemies in sight. Most of you say that
    > with a system similar to mine they get around 40-50 FPS with all eye

    Your system is similar to mine,
    Barton 2500@FSB 382 (aftermarket cooler, can't recall name now)
    2* PQI 256MB PC3200
    1* generic 512MB PC3200
    Abit NF7-s v2.0
    HIS 9800 pro
    ATI 4.7 drivers from site
    WinXP pro

    I am running FC 1.1 at 1280*1023 with AA set to "Medium" in farcry config.
    All of my advanced options are set to medium and AF set to 2, and vsync on.

    I get about 50 in average gameplay (35-80), and only rarely has it gone
    below 30, most noticeably when looking through binocs or close to heavy
    smoke effects.
    You don't mention your sound settings. If EAX isn't working right it kills
    your FPS. Try turning it off if you are using it.
    I think some people generalise about their system performance.
    Try selectively turning down some of the advanced setting options, till you
    have reached a compromise.

    HTH.

    just a thought - I have framerate problems too - teens - and I also use an
    Asus a7n8x-x mainboard. I improved from 3-5 fps to 15 by updating all my
    mainboard drivers. I use a Geforce Ultra 5600 video card
    Could the problem be the mainboard?

    axexango@hotmail.com (axexango) wrote in message news:<6c750956.0408030831.28c506c5@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi guys.
    >
    > After playin a lot of Far Cry v1.1 and tired of getting stutterin all
    > over the place I decided to get an extra 512 Mb of DDR pc3200 to make
    > it up at 1 Gb following most of peeps advice.
    >
    > Well I am not happy (a lot of $$$ invested) and would like to know if
    > I could somehow improve my Far Cry experience.
    >
    > here are my system spec
    >
    > Barton 2500+ O.C. @ 3200+ (FSB 200Mhz) stock cooling
    > 512 Mb Corsair XMS pc2700 cl2 (original memory with system)
    > 512 Mb Corsair XMS pc3200 cl2 - dual channel 200 Mhz @ 4-4-8 (I guess
    > that it's becuz of O.C. pc2700 - it was given those by the mobo with
    > agressive settings)
    > Asus A7N8x Deluxe BIOS 1007
    > ATI AIW 9800 pro (256 bits) 128 Mb @ 400/360
    > Omega drivers based on catalyst 4.7
    > VGA silencer
    > no vsync
    > WinXP PRO (most MS services disabled)
    >
    > If I let the game autodetect, it gives me standard video options (why?
    > don't I have a high spec system?).
    >
    > If I turn all eye candy on (except no AA and no AF) at 1024*768 I get
    > with FRAPS some 10-20 FPS in outdoors scenes where I'm only goin
    > through nature without any ennemies in sight. Most of you say that
    > with a system similar to mine they get around 40-50 FPS with all eye
    > candy turned on.
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > TIA you all
    >
    > Axe Xango

    Now I do know a problem with that game and it had nothing to do with
    graphics drivers (I've used both ATI and Nvidia) -- the only real
    problem I had for weeks was with the nForce driver. I have the same
    motherboard, so you should try it out. The lags, suffering frame-rate
    and pauses didn't go away until I installed the latest official nForce
    drivers.

    If everything goes well:
    You can turn all the graphics settings to 1024 x 768 and crank the
    effects as high as you can, but be wise with the anisotropic filtering
    (that'll drag you down).

    nada_says@hotmail.com (Nada) wrote in message > Now I do know a problem with that game and it had nothing to do with
    > graphics drivers (I've used both ATI and Nvidia) -- the only real
    > problem I had for weeks was with the nForce driver. I have the same
    > motherboard, so you should try it out. The lags, suffering frame-rate
    > and pauses didn't go away until I installed the latest official nForce
    > drivers.
    >
    > If everything goes well:
    > You can turn all the graphics settings to 1024 x 768 and crank the
    > effects as high as you can, but be wise with the anisotropic filtering
    > (that'll drag you down).

    Thx for all the input guys

    I have Sp1 + all updates from windowz update website.
    I have latest nForce Unified Drivers from Nvidia website.
    I have HW mixing or EAX turned off in the Far Cry options.
    I have turned off the antivirus and firewall softwares before playin da game.

    I don't know... maybe I'm still missing a little tweak somewhere...

    TIA

    axexango

Radeon Graphics