New XP Virus?

I have a bit of a problem that I was hoping someone would help me with. I
believe that I may have a virus on my machine but none of the top virus
protectors including Norton, BitDefender or even Avast have been able to
locate it. Here's what happens. I noticed about a week ago that some of the
filenames on my computer had turned blue. I thought nothing of it untill I
tried to attach one of these files to a hotmail message. The TrendMicro
virus protector that Hotmail uses insists that the file is infected with a
virus that cannot be cleaned. I therefore went to the TrendMicro website and
performed a free online scan. The results showed no virus on my machine. I
then downloaded the trial version of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security
2005 and it too could not locate the alleged virus, Trojan, worm or whatever
is preventing me from attaching these files to my hotmail message. I am
therefore wondering if hotmail is having a problem with its server systems.
Or, if TrendMicro is able to detect a virus in an uploaded file, why was it
unable to detect it on my system. I've tried several other virus protection
software tools and none can detect the virus. I am very concerned since most
of the files on my system now have blue filenames...including system files!
Here are the symptoms.

Virus/Trojan/Worm Symptom:
Filenames of infected files turn blue
Unable to upload files in hotmail (yahoo does not detect a virus)

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Professional Software Version 5.1.2600
Service Pack 2 Build 2600
2 answers Last reply
More about virus

    There is a very helpful virus removal newsgroup you may wish­ to post to:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.security.virus ­

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    Virus Removal Tools
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

    Online Virus Removal Tutorials
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/virusremoval/virusremoval_info_tutorial.html

    3 Simple Steps to Insure the Security of Your PC

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    XPUSER8711 wrote:
    > I have a bit of a problem that I was hoping someone would help me with. I
    > believe that I may have a virus on my machine but none of the top virus
    > protectors including Norton, BitDefender or even Avast have been able to
    > locate it. Here's what happens. I noticed about a week ago that some of the
    > filenames on my computer had turned blue.

    By design, WinXP automatically compresses files that do not get
    used frequently, and, if you've left the default settings intact,
    displays those files in blue.

    If you wish to change this behavior, in Windows Explorer, click
    Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced settings: Show encrypted or
    compressed NTFS files in color.

    > I thought nothing of it untill I
    > tried to attach one of these files to a hotmail message. The TrendMicro
    > virus protector that Hotmail uses insists that the file is infected with a
    > virus that cannot be cleaned.

    Hotmail's rudimentary virus check probably couldn't "uncompress" the
    file to scan it, so it erred on the side of caution.

    > I therefore went to the TrendMicro website and
    > performed a free online scan. The results showed no virus on my machine. I
    > then downloaded the trial version of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security
    > 2005 and it too could not locate the alleged virus, Trojan, worm or whatever
    > is preventing me from attaching these files to my hotmail message.

    Send the files in their uncompressed state.

    > I am
    > therefore wondering if hotmail is having a problem with its server systems.
    > Or, if TrendMicro is able to detect a virus in an uploaded file, why was it
    > unable to detect it on my system. I've tried several other virus protection
    > software tools and none can detect the virus. I am very concerned since most
    > of the files on my system now have blue filenames...including system files!
    > Here are the symptoms.

    What you're seeing is perfectly normal, and *not* the result of a virus.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm