jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

I recently worked on a computer whose owner reported browser hijacking
symptoms and high phone bills. Spybot Search and Destroy (latest update)
found nothing. NIS 2005 (latest definitions) found the Safesearch “threat�,
but was unable to remove it and the manual removal instructions were
inadequate and wrong. Spyware Doctor 3.1 found 77 malicious items,
originating from 4 spyware programs, including Safesearch and a couple of
dialling programs. It wanted money for automatic removal, but the free
analysis was excellent, and I used that to remove the malicious items
manually.

As an afterthought, and partly for fun, I then downloaded the MS AntiSpyware
tool. It found 2 more spyware programs, and removed them automatically. Of
course I don’t know it would have found the 4 spyware programs I had already
removed with Spyware Doctor, but I do know it found 2 which Spyware Doctor
missed. I would therefore recommend to any security conscious user that they
go through the process of authentication and download the MS AntiSpyware tool
from:

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

Hi,

Besides just installing and running Spybot, you should also download and
install Adaware Se. Also if you check the newsgroup you will find some
recommended spyware programs from the MVP`s, especially Shenan Stanely and
David H. Lipman. They both list useful resources for spyware, especially
Shenan Stanely.

Jeff

"Jonno" <Jonno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently worked on a computer whose owner reported browser hijacking
> symptoms and high phone bills. Spybot Search and Destroy (latest update)
> found nothing. NIS 2005 (latest definitions) found the Safesearch
> “threat�,
> but was unable to remove it and the manual removal instructions were
> inadequate and wrong. Spyware Doctor 3.1 found 77 malicious items,
> originating from 4 spyware programs, including Safesearch and a couple of
> dialling programs. It wanted money for automatic removal, but the free
> analysis was excellent, and I used that to remove the malicious items
> manually.
>
> As an afterthought, and partly for fun, I then downloaded the MS
> AntiSpyware
> tool. It found 2 more spyware programs, and removed them automatically.
> Of
> course I don’t know it would have found the 4 spyware programs I had
> already
> removed with Spyware Doctor, but I do know it found 2 which Spyware Doctor
> missed. I would therefore recommend to any security conscious user that
> they
> go through the process of authentication and download the MS AntiSpyware
> tool
> from:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Thanx Jeffrey !

But I am not a MVP ;-)

For those experiencing malware problems, I suggest visiting the following News Groups

microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus
alt.privacy.spyware

--
Dave

"jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| Besides just installing and running Spybot, you should also download and
| install Adaware Se. Also if you check the newsgroup you will find some
| recommended spyware programs from the MVP`s, especially Shenan Stanely and
| David H. Lipman. They both list useful resources for spyware, especially
| Shenan Stanely.
|
| Jeff

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

Hi David,

You were just included with the MVP`s, not actually stating you were, but
your as informative as they are. So giving you a mock MVP status.

Jeff

> Thanx Jeffrey !
>
> But I am not a MVP ;-)
>
> For those experiencing malware problems, I suggest visiting the following
> News Groups
>
> microsoft.public.security.virus
> alt.comp.virus
> alt.comp.anti-virus
> alt.privacy.spyware
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
> | Hi,
> |
> | Besides just installing and running Spybot, you should also download and
> | install Adaware Se. Also if you check the newsgroup you will find some
> | recommended spyware programs from the MVP`s, especially Shenan Stanely
> and
> | David H. Lipman. They both list useful resources for spyware,
> especially
> | Shenan Stanely.
> |
> | Jeff

Thanx !

I just wanted to make it clear. I don't want anyone to think I am something I'm not. I do
appreciate your reference to my posts however.

--

| Hi David,
|
| You were just included with the MVP`s, not actually stating you were, but
| your as informative as they are. So giving you a mock MVP status.
|
| Jeff

| > Thanx Jeffrey !
| >
| > But I am not a MVP ;-)
| >
| > For those experiencing malware problems, I suggest visiting the following
| > News Groups
| >
| > microsoft.public.security.virus
| > alt.comp.virus
| > alt.comp.anti-virus
| > alt.privacy.spyware
| >
| > --
| > Dave
| >

| > "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | Besides just installing and running Spybot, you should also download and
| > | install Adaware Se. Also if you check the newsgroup you will find some
| > | recommended spyware programs from the MVP`s, especially Shenan Stanely
| > and
| > | David H. Lipman. They both list useful resources for spyware,
| > especially
| > | Shenan Stanely.
| > |
| > | Jeff

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

Hi David,

Your welcome. The tips you give have helped me with a few things, so always
happy to point others to those that can possibly help.

Jeff