MSI K7T 266-Pro2 and X800

Replaced a Radeon 8500 with an X800Pro, and the machine will not POST. Gives
a number of beeps.

I'm hoping it's the PSU rather than a bad card.

I have a 300watt FSP300-60BT(PF), and my current spec is:

Athlon XP 1800
512Mb DDR266
2x 80mm Case Fans
3x 7200rpm HDDs
1x CDRW
1x DVD-ROM
4xPCI cards

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
--
Derek

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:27:29 +0100, Derek Baker wrote:

> Replaced a Radeon 8500 with an X800Pro, and the machine will not POST. Gives
> a number of beeps.
>
> I'm hoping it's the PSU rather than a bad card.
>
> I have a 300watt FSP300-60BT(PF), and my current spec is:
>
> Athlon XP 1800
> 512Mb DDR266
> 2x 80mm Case Fans
> 3x 7200rpm HDDs
> 1x CDRW
> 1x DVD-ROM
> 4xPCI cards
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Thanks in advance

I'd start with a bigger power supply. You have a lot of stuff on that
board and 300w just isn't enough.

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Derek Baker wrote:
> Replaced a Radeon 8500 with an X800Pro, and the machine will not
> POST. Gives a number of beeps.
>
> I'm hoping it's the PSU rather than a bad card.
>
> I have a 300watt FSP300-60BT(PF), and my current spec is:
>
> Athlon XP 1800
> 512Mb DDR266
> 2x 80mm Case Fans
> 3x 7200rpm HDDs
> 1x CDRW
> 1x DVD-ROM
> 4xPCI cards
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Thanks in advance

Thanks for the replys. I've posted this to a forum as well, and the general
consensus is the PSU.

I was already looking at a more powerful unit, and am going to get an Antec
True Power 550.

--
Derek

My guess is that you need a more powerful power supply.

A friend has a Radeon 9800 Pro on an Abit KT266-based with Raid contronller
and about the same amount of hardware. He'll have to unplug the power cable
to the card and then plug it back in during when the card displays that it
isn't connected. With the plug in at start up it won't boot. When the system
is running, there are no problems with games. He's using a North 400 watts
power supply

I think that there is a fraction of a second during the starting of the
system that all components draw full power. It just gets to much for the
power supply.

Stear clear of cheap "high" power supplies. The watts might just be on
paper.

"Derek Baker" <me@derekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> skrev i melding
> Replaced a Radeon 8500 with an X800Pro, and the machine will not POST.
Gives
> a number of beeps.
>
> I'm hoping it's the PSU rather than a bad card.
>
> I have a 300watt FSP300-60BT(PF), and my current spec is:
>
> Athlon XP 1800
> 512Mb DDR266
> 2x 80mm Case Fans
> 3x 7200rpm HDDs
> 1x CDRW
> 1x DVD-ROM
> 4xPCI cards
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Thanks in advance
> --
> Derek

Lou

"Derek Baker" <me@derekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> Derek Baker wrote:
> > Replaced a Radeon 8500 with an X800Pro, and the machine will not
> > POST. Gives a number of beeps.
> >
> > I'm hoping it's the PSU rather than a bad card.
> >
> > I have a 300watt FSP300-60BT(PF), and my current spec is:
> >
> > Athlon XP 1800
> > 512Mb DDR266
> > 2x 80mm Case Fans
> > 3x 7200rpm HDDs
> > 1x CDRW
> > 1x DVD-ROM
> > 4xPCI cards
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> > Thanks in advance
>
> Thanks for the replys. I've posted this to a forum as well, and the
general
> consensus is the PSU.
>
> I was already looking at a more powerful unit, and am going to get an
Antec
> True Power 550.
>
> --
> Derek

Unplug everything but the cpu fan,video card and your boot hard drive and
have the video card on its own power lead(nothing else on the same lead).
Try booting the PC and if it works, then it was probably too much power
draw or too many parts on one power lead.

A place to get a rough idea of power needed
http://takaman.jp/D/?english

Lou