Where are these Administrators?

I've had a miserable time trying to install Norton Internet Security. One
possible cause is more than one administrator. Looking at User Accounts
there is only one Administrator - Me - and Guest is off. However, when I
run Baseline Security Analyzer, it shows three Administrators: (1)
"Administrator," (2) Me, and (3) a long alphneumeric series.

How do I find and rid my computer of the two extra administrators?

Joseph MacFarlane
joe_macfarlane@comcast.net
6 answers Last reply
More about where administrators

    Hi,

    The Administrator is the default Admin account, you can`t delete it and you
    don`t want to. The Me accout I guess is you, which is the second admin.
    The guest account should be disable. If you go to control panel >
    administrator tools > computer management > local user and group > users,
    you should see all the accounts that are there. You should see
    administrator, guest, (your account), maybe helpassistant (its the remote
    desktop help assistant), maybe two accounts named SUPPORT_xxxxxx
    (CN=Microsoft Corporporation, L=Readmon, S=Washington,C=US). If you
    installed .net, you will probably have a .net account as well.

    The default Administrator account should not be used, only use it when your
    account or other account becomes corrupted. You should also make sure the
    default Administrator account has a strong password. People will state that
    your own user account shouldn`t have admin rights, but depending on how well
    you protect your computer, you can keep it with admin rights, but to be on a
    safe side, should be poweruser or just a user though. Guest account can`t
    be delete unfortunately, but can be renamed though.

    Jeff

    "Joseph MacFarlane" <joe_macfarlane@attbi.com> wrote in message
    > I've had a miserable time trying to install Norton Internet Security. One
    > possible cause is more than one administrator. Looking at User Accounts
    > there is only one Administrator - Me - and Guest is off. However, when I
    > run Baseline Security Analyzer, it shows three Administrators: (1)
    > "Administrator," (2) Me, and (3) a long alphneumeric series.
    >
    > How do I find and rid my computer of the two extra administrators?
    >
    > Joseph MacFarlane
    > joe_macfarlane@comcast.net

    Hi Jef,

    Thank you for responding. I find, however, that I can only follow your the
    steps so far. Control Pannel > Administrator Tools > Computer Management -
    worked fine. But, once that last icon is clicked, I get Computer Management
    (Local) with the following sub-categories:

    System Tools
    Event Viewer
    Shared Folders
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    Device Manager
    Storage
    Removable Storage
    Disk Defragmenter
    Disk Management
    Services and Applications
    Services
    WMI Control
    Indexing Service

    There is no Local User and Group. Do you, or anyone, have another
    suggestion?

    Joe

    "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > The Administrator is the default Admin account, you can`t delete it and
    > you don`t want to. The Me accout I guess is you, which is the second
    > admin. The guest account should be disable. If you go to control panel >
    > administrator tools > computer management > local user and group > users,
    > you should see all the accounts that are there. You should see
    > administrator, guest, (your account), maybe helpassistant (its the remote
    > desktop help assistant), maybe two accounts named SUPPORT_xxxxxx
    > (CN=Microsoft Corporporation, L=Readmon, S=Washington,C=US). If you
    > installed .net, you will probably have a .net account as well.
    >
    > The default Administrator account should not be used, only use it when
    > your account or other account becomes corrupted. You should also make
    > sure the default Administrator account has a strong password. People will
    > state that your own user account shouldn`t have admin rights, but
    > depending on how well you protect your computer, you can keep it with
    > admin rights, but to be on a safe side, should be poweruser or just a user
    > though. Guest account can`t be delete unfortunately, but can be renamed
    > though.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Joseph MacFarlane" <joe_macfarlane@attbi.com> wrote in message
    >> I've had a miserable time trying to install Norton Internet Security.
    >> One possible cause is more than one administrator. Looking at User
    >> Accounts there is only one Administrator - Me - and Guest is off.
    >> However, when I run Baseline Security Analyzer, it shows three
    >> Administrators: (1) "Administrator," (2) Me, and (3) a long alphneumeric
    >> series.
    >>
    >> How do I find and rid my computer of the two extra administrators?
    >>
    >> Joseph MacFarlane
    >> joe_macfarlane@comcast.net

    Hi,

    Are you running XP Pro or XP Home? If its XP home, you will not have that
    one category.

    > Hi Jef,
    >
    > Thank you for responding. I find, however, that I can only follow your
    > the steps so far. Control Pannel > Administrator Tools > Computer
    > Management - worked fine. But, once that last icon is clicked, I get
    > Computer Management (Local) with the following sub-categories:
    >
    > System Tools
    > Event Viewer
    > Shared Folders
    > Performance Logs and Alerts
    > Device Manager
    > Storage
    > Removable Storage
    > Disk Defragmenter
    > Disk Management
    > Services and Applications
    > Services
    > WMI Control
    > Indexing Service
    >
    > There is no Local User and Group. Do you, or anyone, have another
    > suggestion?
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The Administrator is the default Admin account, you can`t delete it and
    >> you don`t want to. The Me accout I guess is you, which is the second
    >> admin. The guest account should be disable. If you go to control panel >
    >> administrator tools > computer management > local user and group > users,
    >> you should see all the accounts that are there. You should see
    >> administrator, guest, (your account), maybe helpassistant (its the remote
    >> desktop help assistant), maybe two accounts named SUPPORT_xxxxxx
    >> (CN=Microsoft Corporporation, L=Readmon, S=Washington,C=US). If you
    >> installed .net, you will probably have a .net account as well.
    >>
    >> The default Administrator account should not be used, only use it when
    >> your account or other account becomes corrupted. You should also make
    >> sure the default Administrator account has a strong password. People
    >> will state that your own user account shouldn`t have admin rights, but
    >> depending on how well you protect your computer, you can keep it with
    >> admin rights, but to be on a safe side, should be poweruser or just a
    >> user though. Guest account can`t be delete unfortunately, but can be
    >> renamed though.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> "Joseph MacFarlane" <joe_macfarlane@attbi.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've had a miserable time trying to install Norton Internet Security.
    >>> One possible cause is more than one administrator. Looking at User
    >>> Accounts there is only one Administrator - Me - and Guest is off.
    >>> However, when I run Baseline Security Analyzer, it shows three
    >>> Administrators: (1) "Administrator," (2) Me, and (3) a long alphneumeric
    >>> series.
    >>>
    >>> How do I find and rid my computer of the two extra administrators?
    >>>
    >>> Joseph MacFarlane
    >>> joe_macfarlane@comcast.net

    Jef,
    It's XP Home I'm running.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Are you running XP Pro or XP Home? If its XP home, you will not have that
    > one category.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Joseph MacFarlane" <joe_macfarlane@attbi.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Jef,
    >>
    >> Thank you for responding. I find, however, that I can only follow your
    >> the steps so far. Control Pannel > Administrator Tools > Computer
    >> Management - worked fine. But, once that last icon is clicked, I get
    >> Computer Management (Local) with the following sub-categories:
    >>
    >> System Tools
    >> Event Viewer
    >> Shared Folders
    >> Performance Logs and Alerts
    >> Device Manager
    >> Storage
    >> Removable Storage
    >> Disk Defragmenter
    >> Disk Management
    >> Services and Applications
    >> Services
    >> WMI Control
    >> Indexing Service
    >>
    >> There is no Local User and Group. Do you, or anyone, have another
    >> suggestion?
    >>
    >> Joe
    >>

    >> "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> The Administrator is the default Admin account, you can`t delete it and
    >>> you don`t want to. The Me accout I guess is you, which is the second
    >>> admin. The guest account should be disable. If you go to control panel
    >>> users, you should see all the accounts that are there. You should see
    >>> administrator, guest, (your account), maybe helpassistant (its the
    >>> remote desktop help assistant), maybe two accounts named SUPPORT_xxxxxx
    >>> (CN=Microsoft Corporporation, L=Readmon, S=Washington,C=US). If you
    >>> installed .net, you will probably have a .net account as well.
    >>>
    >>> The default Administrator account should not be used, only use it when
    >>> your account or other account becomes corrupted. You should also make
    >>> sure the default Administrator account has a strong password. People
    >>> will state that your own user account shouldn`t have admin rights, but
    >>> depending on how well you protect your computer, you can keep it with
    >>> admin rights, but to be on a safe side, should be poweruser or just a
    >>> user though. Guest account can`t be delete unfortunately, but can be
    >>> renamed though.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff
    >>>
    >>> "Joseph MacFarlane" <joe_macfarlane@attbi.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    XP home won`t have that one selection then. I don`t work with XP Home much,
    so I can`t tell you much. I do have one notebook with XP Home on it, but
    the OS is in Japanese and I don`t read enough Japanese for me to understand
    all the menu`s. I`m not sure, but if you go into safe mode and log in as
    the administrator, you might have more options for account management. If
    you haven`t already, make sure the admin account has a password. But as for
    accounts, you seem to have the normal default ones plus your account. The
    default ones like I said before can not be deleted, but you can rename them

    > Jef,
    > It's XP Home I'm running.
    > Joe
    >
    > "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Are you running XP Pro or XP Home? If its XP home, you will not have
    >> that one category.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> "Joseph MacFarlane" <joe_macfarlane@attbi.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Jef,
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for responding. I find, however, that I can only follow your
    >>> the steps so far. Control Pannel > Administrator Tools > Computer
    >>> Management - worked fine. But, once that last icon is clicked, I get
    >>> Computer Management (Local) with the following sub-categories:
    >>>
    >>> System Tools
    >>> Event Viewer
    >>> Shared Folders
    >>> Performance Logs and Alerts
    >>> Device Manager
    >>> Storage
    >>> Removable Storage
    >>> Disk Defragmenter
    >>> Disk Management
    >>> Services and Applications
    >>> Services
    >>> WMI Control
    >>> Indexing Service
    >>>
    >>> There is no Local User and Group. Do you, or anyone, have another
    >>> suggestion?
    >>>
    >>> Joe
    >>>

    >>> "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message

    Hello Jef,

    Sorry for the delay - other matters moved to the fore. Thank you; going
    safe mode exposed the default Admin and Myself. It didn't, however show
    that alphaneumeric administarator. I don't know if this will ever be
    resolved. I just wish I had never upgraded "Norton Internet Security" -
    everything worked well before that.

    > Hi,
    >
    > XP home won`t have that one selection then. I don`t work with XP Home
    > much, so I can`t tell you much. I do have one notebook with XP Home on
    > it, but the OS is in Japanese and I don`t read enough Japanese for me to
    > understand all the menu`s. I`m not sure, but if you go into safe mode and
    > log in as the administrator, you might have more options for account
    > management. If you haven`t already, make sure the admin account has a
    > password. But as for accounts, you seem to have the normal default ones
    > plus your account. The default ones like I said before can not be
    > deleted, but you can rename them though.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Joseph MacFarlane" <joe_macfarlane@attbi.com> wrote in message
    >> Jef,
    >> It's XP Home I'm running.
    >> Joe
    >>
    >> "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Are you running XP Pro or XP Home? If its XP home, you will not have
    >>> that one category.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff
    >>>
    >>> "Joseph MacFarlane" <joe_macfarlane@attbi.com> wrote in message

Security Internet Security Windows XP