Log On Password

a b 8 Security
February 21, 2005 1:13:01 AM

My account is our computer administrator and my kid sister recetly changed my
password now i can't get in to my account... is there any way of taking it
off using a limited user account or finding a way back into the account?

More about : log password

February 21, 2005 2:19:02 AM

You may be a little confused with the term Administrator applying to
priveledges and the Administrator account.

The Administrator is the default Admin account, you can`t delete it and you
don`t want to.

The 'My account' I guess is you, which is the second admin.

There is also a guest account, which may be disabled.

To get onto the system and manage the accounts, use CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up
the login dialogue as Windows Starts [when it asks which account do you want
to logon to].

Then go to control panel > administrator tools > computer management > local
user and group > users.

You will see all the accounts that are established on the PC. You should see
administrator, guest, (your account), maybe some other not worth worrying
about for the moment..

The default [System] Administrator account should not be used, only use it
when your account or other account becomes corrupted or messed up as is your
current situation.

You should also make sure the default Administrator account has a secure
password.

You can then set your account type as Administrator [or Pwoer User] and
change / reset the password.

Guest account can`t be delete, but can be renamed: use this so that your
sister can get onto the PC and not mess things up for you in the future.

"LadyLuck" wrote:

> My account is our computer administrator and my kid sister recetly changed my
> password now i can't get in to my account... is there any way of taking it
> off using a limited user account or finding a way back into the account?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 21, 2005 1:39:06 PM

Yes I know how to do all of that but the computer administrator account has a
password on it... and now i cant get in... so i was wondering if you knew how
to fix that or am i outta luck...?

"BAR" wrote:

> You may be a little confused with the term Administrator applying to
> priveledges and the Administrator account.
>
> The Administrator is the default Admin account, you can`t delete it and you
> don`t want to.
>
> The 'My account' I guess is you, which is the second admin.
>
> There is also a guest account, which may be disabled.
>
> To get onto the system and manage the accounts, use CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up
> the login dialogue as Windows Starts [when it asks which account do you want
> to logon to].
>
> Then go to control panel > administrator tools > computer management > local
> user and group > users.
>
> You will see all the accounts that are established on the PC. You should see
> administrator, guest, (your account), maybe some other not worth worrying
> about for the moment..
>
> The default [System] Administrator account should not be used, only use it
> when your account or other account becomes corrupted or messed up as is your
> current situation.
>
> You should also make sure the default Administrator account has a secure
> password.
>
> You can then set your account type as Administrator [or Pwoer User] and
> change / reset the password.
>
> Guest account can`t be delete, but can be renamed: use this so that your
> sister can get onto the PC and not mess things up for you in the future.
>

> "LadyLuck" wrote:
>
> > My account is our computer administrator and my kid sister recetly changed my
> > password now i can't get in to my account... is there any way of taking it
> > off using a limited user account or finding a way back into the account?
Related resources
February 21, 2005 7:59:19 PM

LadyLuck wrote:

> Yes I know how to do all of that but the computer administrator
> account has a password on it... and now i cant get in... so i was
> wondering if you knew how to fix that or am i outta luck...?
>

>> > My account is our computer administrator and my kid sister recetly
>> > changed my password now i can't get in to my account... is there
>> > any way of taking it off using a limited user account or finding a
>> > way back into the account?

If you have Home Edition, boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the
F8 key to get to the proper menu. Once in, log into the normally hidden
Administrator account. Unless it was changed, the default password is a
blank. After you log in, go to the User Accounts applet in Control
Panel and make your changes.

If you have XP Pro or your sister also changed the hidden Administrator
password, you can use this program to change the Administrator password
to a blank: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

The ntpasswd program is not difficult to use; just make sure you read
the how-to.

Then I guess you'd better have a talk with your little sister, with your
parents present.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

ok i tired the f8 but the account was changed i used it as my normal
accouhn... so ill try that sght u suggested... thanx ^_^

"Malke" wrote:

> LadyLuck wrote:
>
> > Yes I know how to do all of that but the computer administrator
> > account has a password on it... and now i cant get in... so i was
> > wondering if you knew how to fix that or am i outta luck...?

> If you have Home Edition, boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the
> F8 key to get to the proper menu. Once in, log into the normally hidden
> Administrator account. Unless it was changed, the default password is a
> blank. After you log in, go to the User Accounts applet in Control
> Panel and make your changes.
>
> If you have XP Pro or your sister also changed the hidden Administrator
> password, you can use this program to change the Administrator password
> to a blank: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> The ntpasswd program is not difficult to use; just make sure you read
> the how-to.
>
> Then I guess you'd better have a talk with your little sister, with your
> parents present.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 22, 2005 7:27:04 PM

o yea i have xp and i cant really understand half of what this is trying to
tell em on this site and i have talked to my sister and my parents but there
isnt anything we can do becaus she forgot the password...
February 22, 2005 10:44:08 PM

LadyLuck wrote:

> o yea i have xp and i cant really understand half of what this is
> trying to tell em on this site and i have talked to my sister and my
> parents but there isnt anything we can do becaus she forgot the
> password...

If you cannot understand how to use the ntpasswd program and your sister
changed the normally hidden Administrator account passwords as well as
the passwords for all other accounts with administrative privileges,
then you will need to call a local professional. It is quite easy to
get into a machine under the circumstances you are describing if one
knows what one is doing, but if you find this daunting, take the
machine to a good computer repair shop (not a BestBuy or CompUSA type
of store).

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 24, 2005 12:55:04 AM

okie dokie i shall try that thank you for your help ^_^
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 24, 2005 12:57:04 AM

okie dokie i shall call my computer guy thank you for your help ^_^
!