Choppy perfomance after driver upgrade

I have an ATI 9600 and I downloaded the new drivers last night. After
rebooting, system performance was bad. When dragging an open window or a
dialoge box across the screen, it was very choppy and would redraw the
box/window several times instead of moving it smoothly. Has anyone else
experienced this and know of a fix?
The old driver worked perfectly and I was able to go back to it using
system restore, but I hear that there are DOOM3 benefits with the new
driver.
TIA
--
Servo
"Kids love Robocop!"

    "Servo" <tservo100@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    > I have an ATI 9600 and I downloaded the new drivers last night. After
    > rebooting, system performance was bad. When dragging an open window or a
    > dialoge box across the screen, it was very choppy and would redraw the
    > box/window several times instead of moving it smoothly. Has anyone else
    > experienced this and know of a fix?
    > The old driver worked perfectly and I was able to go back to it using
    > system restore, but I hear that there are DOOM3 benefits with the new
    > driver.
    > TIA

    I had that happen to me once. I forgot to uninstall the old ATI drivers
    before installing the new ones. Either uninstall or run a driver cleaner to
    get rid of the ones you have now. Then, install the new drivers.

    I think the InstallShield (or whatever installer ATI uses for its drivers)
    is badly written. At the very least, it shouldn't allow installation if it
    found previous version drivers. Ideally, it should have a driver cleaner
    integrated, so u can just run the installation without uninstalling previous
    drivers.

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:58:36 GMT, Servo <tservo100@ameritech.net>
    wrote:

    >I have an ATI 9600 and I downloaded the new drivers last night. After
    >rebooting, system performance was bad. When dragging an open window or a
    >dialoge box across the screen, it was very choppy and would redraw the
    >box/window several times instead of moving it smoothly. Has anyone else
    > experienced this and know of a fix?
    >The old driver worked perfectly and I was able to go back to it using
    >system restore, but I hear that there are DOOM3 benefits with the new
    >driver.
    >TIA

    You don't say what "new drivers" you installed, Servo, but if it was
    the Catalyst 4.8 or 4.9 beta (as suggested by your comment that you
    "hear that there are DOOM3 benefits"), bear in mind that they are just
    that: beta. That means they are not fully tested, there may be
    problems with them and they are provided on that basis.

    patrickp

    sounds like youve either not removed the old drivers properly (grab 'driver
    cleaner') or youre not running in adequate resolution. Ive had that prob
    before but just changed to a proper res and it was smooth. Hope that helps.

    Blaedmon wrote:
    > sounds like youve either not removed the old drivers properly (grab 'driver
    > cleaner') or youre not running in adequate resolution. Ive had that prob
    > before but just changed to a proper res and it was smooth. Hope that helps.

    Thanks, man....I'll try it tonight!
    >>--
    >>Servo
    >>"Kids love Robocop!"