Choppy perfomance after driver upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 4, 2004 9:58:36 PM

I have an ATI 9600 and I downloaded the new drivers last night. After
rebooting, system performance was bad. When dragging an open window or a
dialoge box across the screen, it was very choppy and would redraw the
box/window several times instead of moving it smoothly. Has anyone else
experienced this and know of a fix?
The old driver worked perfectly and I was able to go back to it using
system restore, but I hear that there are DOOM3 benefits with the new
driver.
TIA
--
Servo
"Kids love Robocop!"

"Servo" <tservo100@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> I have an ATI 9600 and I downloaded the new drivers last night. After
> rebooting, system performance was bad. When dragging an open window or a
> dialoge box across the screen, it was very choppy and would redraw the
> box/window several times instead of moving it smoothly. Has anyone else
> experienced this and know of a fix?
> The old driver worked perfectly and I was able to go back to it using
> system restore, but I hear that there are DOOM3 benefits with the new
> driver.
> TIA

I had that happen to me once. I forgot to uninstall the old ATI drivers
before installing the new ones. Either uninstall or run a driver cleaner to
get rid of the ones you have now. Then, install the new drivers.

I think the InstallShield (or whatever installer ATI uses for its drivers)
is badly written. At the very least, it shouldn't allow installation if it
found previous version drivers. Ideally, it should have a driver cleaner
integrated, so u can just run the installation without uninstalling previous
drivers.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:58:36 GMT, Servo <tservo100@ameritech.net>
wrote:

>I have an ATI 9600 and I downloaded the new drivers last night. After
>rebooting, system performance was bad. When dragging an open window or a
>dialoge box across the screen, it was very choppy and would redraw the
>box/window several times instead of moving it smoothly. Has anyone else
> experienced this and know of a fix?
>The old driver worked perfectly and I was able to go back to it using
>system restore, but I hear that there are DOOM3 benefits with the new
>driver.
>TIA

You don't say what "new drivers" you installed, Servo, but if it was
the Catalyst 4.8 or 4.9 beta (as suggested by your comment that you
"hear that there are DOOM3 benefits"), bear in mind that they are just
that: beta. That means they are not fully tested, there may be
problems with them and they are provided on that basis.

patrickp

August 5, 2004 9:02:42 AM

sounds like youve either not removed the old drivers properly (grab 'driver
cleaner') or youre not running in adequate resolution. Ive had that prob
before but just changed to a proper res and it was smooth. Hope that helps.

"Servo" <tservo100@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> I have an ATI 9600 and I downloaded the new drivers last night. After
> rebooting, system performance was bad. When dragging an open window or a
> dialoge box across the screen, it was very choppy and would redraw the
> box/window several times instead of moving it smoothly. Has anyone else
> experienced this and know of a fix?
> The old driver worked perfectly and I was able to go back to it using
> system restore, but I hear that there are DOOM3 benefits with the new
> driver.
> TIA
> --
> Servo
> "Kids love Robocop!"
> tservo100 at
> ameritech dot net
> Slow, fiery death to all spammers!!!
August 5, 2004 9:02:43 AM

Blaedmon wrote:
> sounds like youve either not removed the old drivers properly (grab 'driver
> cleaner') or youre not running in adequate resolution. Ive had that prob
> before but just changed to a proper res and it was smooth. Hope that helps.

Thanks, man....I'll try it tonight!

!