I obtained some nasty spyware that will not go away. I run the latest AdAware
SE and the latest Spybot regularly, and it will not go away. Any suggestions?
Isn't there a good updated Trend Micro spyware scan I can use free? Other
suggestions? Thank you.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Tom B." wrote:

| I obtained some nasty spyware that will not go away. I run the latest AdAware
| SE and the latest Spybot regularly, and it will not go away. Any suggestions?
| Isn't there a good updated Trend Micro spyware scan I can use free? Other
| suggestions? Thank you.

Run Adaware SE in Safe Mode and shutdown as many running applications as possible before
scanning the platform.

--
Dave

"Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I obtained some nasty spyware that will not go away. I run the latest AdAware
| SE and the latest Spybot regularly, and it will not go away. Any suggestions?
| Isn't there a good updated Trend Micro spyware scan I can use free? Other
| suggestions? Thank you.

I do run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode. Not good enough. I NEVER get
popups, until now.

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Run Adaware SE in Safe Mode and shutdown as many running applications as possible before
> scanning the platform.
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I obtained some nasty spyware that will not go away. I run the latest AdAware
> | SE and the latest Spybot regularly, and it will not go away. Any suggestions?
> | Isn't there a good updated Trend Micro spyware scan I can use free? Other
> | suggestions? Thank you.

You implied that they remove it and it comes back. Is that the case ?

I don't thing Trend makes "anti" spyware.

What are you symptoms ?

What programs do you see ?

If you want help you need to supply facts.

--

| I do run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode. Not good enough. I NEVER get
| popups, until now.
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote:
|
| > Run Adaware SE in Safe Mode and shutdown as many running applications as possible before
| > scanning the platform.
| >
| > --
| > Dave
| >

| > "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | I obtained some nasty spyware that will not go away. I run the latest AdAware
| > | SE and the latest Spybot regularly, and it will not go away. Any suggestions?
| > | Isn't there a good updated Trend Micro spyware scan I can use free? Other
| > | suggestions? Thank you.

I run adaware and spybot regularly in safe mode, and I suddenly have popups.
I NEVER have popups. I need a better spyware scan to get rid of this.

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> You implied that they remove it and it comes back. Is that the case ?
>
> I don't thing Trend makes "anti" spyware.
>
> What are you symptoms ?
>
> What programs do you see ?
>
> If you want help you need to supply facts.
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I do run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode. Not good enough. I NEVER get
> | popups, until now.
> |
> | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
> |
> | > Run Adaware SE in Safe Mode and shutdown as many running applications as possible before
> | > scanning the platform.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Dave
> | >

> | > "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Are you sure they are IE PopUps and not a Messenger message ?

Are you running WinXP SP2 ?

--

| I run adaware and spybot regularly in safe mode, and I suddenly have popups.
| I NEVER have popups. I need a better spyware scan to get rid of this.
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote:
|
| > You implied that they remove it and it comes back. Is that the case ?
| >
| > I don't thing Trend makes "anti" spyware.
| >
| > What are you symptoms ?
| >
| > What programs do you see ?
| >
| > If you want help you need to supply facts.
| >
| > --
| > Dave
| >

| > "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | I do run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode. Not good enough. I NEVER get
| > | popups, until now.
| > |
| > | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
| > |
> [...]

Yes I'm sure they're not msngr messages. Oy. They were definitely popups. I
ran the Trend Micro Sysclean with the Updated Virus Pattern Files. Ran
Adaware SE again in Safe Mode and so far so good. That may have done it.
Thanks.

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Are you sure they are IE PopUps and not a Messenger message ?
>
> Are you running WinXP SP2 ?
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I run adaware and spybot regularly in safe mode, and I suddenly have popups.
> | I NEVER have popups. I need a better spyware scan to get rid of this.
> |
> | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
> |
> | > You implied that they remove it and it comes back. Is that the case ?
> | >
> | > I don't thing Trend makes "anti" spyware.
> | >
> | > What are you symptoms ?
> | >
> | > What programs do you see ?
> | >
> | > If you want help you need to supply facts.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Dave
> | >

> | > "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > |
> | > |
> before

....and I'm running XP with SP1. I had too many problems with SP2. Thanks
again for your help.

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Are you sure they are IE PopUps and not a Messenger message ?
>
> Are you running WinXP SP2 ?
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I run adaware and spybot regularly in safe mode, and I suddenly have popups.
> | I NEVER have popups. I need a better spyware scan to get rid of this.
> |
> | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
> |
> | > You implied that they remove it and it comes back. Is that the case ?
> | >
> | > I don't thing Trend makes "anti" spyware.
> | >
> | > What are you symptoms ?
> | >
> | > What programs do you see ?
> | >
> | > If you want help you need to supply facts.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Dave
> | >

> | > "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > |
> | > |
> before

I asked that because WinXP SP2 turns off the MS Messenger NT Service.

Most people have problems installing WinXP SP2 because they are infected with malware. To
date I have had not one problem installing WinXP SP2 on hundreds of platforms, corp. and
private.

--

| ...and I'm running XP with SP1. I had too many problems with SP2. Thanks
| again for your help.
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote:
|
| > Are you sure they are IE PopUps and not a Messenger message ?
| >
| > Are you running WinXP SP2 ?
| >
| > --
| > Dave
| >

| > "Tom B." <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | I run adaware and spybot regularly in safe mode, and I suddenly have popups.
| > | I NEVER have popups. I need a better spyware scan to get rid of this.
| > |
| > | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |