This device cannot start. (Code 10) Error!!!

i have a 9800 pro that used to work on this system but last pm while trying
to update drivers , i received a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" under
device manager. i have tried uninstalling the drivers, re-installing,
different versions, etc and still the same error. now all i get is the
dreaded yellow exclamation mark.

i have also updated my mb drivers (nforce 2). i used driver cleaner 2 last
pm, is it possible that this fubared something?

i am at a total loss at this point.

CreamX left a note on my windscreen which said:

> i have a 9800 pro that used to work on this system but last pm while trying
> to update drivers , i received a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" under
> device manager. i have tried uninstalling the drivers, re-installing,
> different versions, etc and still the same error. now all i get is the
> dreaded yellow exclamation mark.
>
> i have also updated my mb drivers (nforce 2). i used driver cleaner 2 last
> pm, is it possible that this fubared something?
>
> i am at a total loss at this point.

Have you looked the error up on the Microsoft Knowledge Base?
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

I get this regularly in bad driver instals. Prolly a software issue not a hardware one. Sounds to
me as if you are stuck in the dreaded vga safe loop. I would do a repair install of the OS. Thats
the quickest way I know to get out of it, because all the other routes hardly ever work because
theres always one checkbox three rightclicks and two tabs away that you miss :)

I have had to do this almost every time I wanted to upgrade the cat drivers btw. grrr.

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:50:15 GMT, "CreamX" <creamx@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>i have a 9800 pro that used to work on this system but last pm while trying
>to update drivers , i received a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" under
>device manager. i have tried uninstalling the drivers, re-installing,
>different versions, etc and still the same error. now all i get is the
>dreaded yellow exclamation mark.

>i have also updated my mb drivers (nforce 2). i used driver cleaner 2 last
>pm, is it possible that this fubared something?

>i am at a total loss at this point.

WinXP with SP1 and DX9c ? and an uptodate gart [ MOBO ] driver ?

Try, uninstall & clean the drivers, then safe mode & uninstall the
card from the CP, then reboot, if it works it should pick up the
default Microsoft drivers.

Then start again using your old [ not new ] driver set
BoroLad

The only other thig to try is reinstalling the mobo agp drivers. It may be that these have become
uninstalled because of the driver update, so the OS cant see the GFX and therefore thinks it is
broken. This happened to me as well, Im obviously not the luckiest person :)

Sham B wrote:
> I get this regularly in bad driver instals. Prolly a software issue
> not a hardware one. Sounds to me as if you are stuck in the dreaded
> vga safe loop. I would do a repair install of the OS. Thats the
> quickest way I know to get out of it, because all the other routes
> hardly ever work because theres always one checkbox three rightclicks
> and two tabs away that you miss :)
>
> I have had to do this almost every time I wanted to upgrade the cat
> drivers btw. grrr.

TRENDING THREADS