Disconnected every 5 minutes

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 20, 2004 11:30:30 AM

Linksys BEFW11S4 vs 4 up to date firmware
Links sys WPC11 up to date drivers
WUSB11 USB Adapter up to date drivers
Windows XP Home

SSID: Broadcast/ENABLE
WEP: ENABLE (64 BITS)
MAC FILTERS: ENABLE

Problem: Keep getting disconected every 5 minutes. Have to
manually reconect by: View wireless network available and
double clicking my SSID.

Have changed channels on the access point, turned off
cordless phones, changed RTS Threshold, Beaconing
Signals....running out of options. Help

More about : disconnected minutes

May 20, 2004 3:40:17 PM

Have you tried to select the option: "only connect to
preferred networks" in the Wireless options dialog
window ? Also select "only connect to AP"
Make sure that your AP is the only preferred network.
Delete all others from the preferred list.

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 3:52:52 PM

Tried already both ways...it did not work. I`m still
getting booted out from my own network every time.
Anything else you may know of....thanks for the posting.

May 20, 2004 3:57:07 PM

I have also deleted all others network (except from my
own) from the prefered networks option, but they come back
to hunt me every time. My neighborgh next door has his own
network (which is unsecure). I can connect to his at any
time (I won`t do it), but my network keep getting dropped
like a fly. HELP

May 20, 2004 4:00:38 PM

mmm, very challenging....
What about the power settings in your laptop, do you
allow Windows to disable your Wifi card to save power ?
Also, check the lifetime "lease" on the IP address you
get from the AP...usually it's 24 hours, but you never
know if it has been set to 5 min. by accident.
It's all far fetched, but never hurts to check

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:07:06 PM

If these networks keep appearing in the preferred
networks that means that you should verify this.
Click "view available networks"/"Advanced"
Select "Use Windows to configure my settings"
Click the "Advanced" button in the bottom of this window
(not the tab at the top).
Unselect "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks"
These settings keep me connected to my AP even if the
neighbors signal is stronger then mine....same situation
here, nieghbor is not WEP encrypted, but mine is.
These settings prevent me from accidently connecting to
someone else his network.

May 20, 2004 4:50:42 PM

This is the last thing that could be the cause:
make sure that you have uncheck this key

"Use IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network"
in your wireless config for your preferred network.

Hope this helps, I'm out of options... :-)

May 21, 2004 7:01:04 PM

I have the same problem, and I have tried everything listed in this post. I get the same thing with both my laptops and I have tried several different wireless PC cards. I thought it might be in my access point, but there are no configurations that would cause it to keep dropping(Orinoco RG1000). It has to be something in windows, but everthing seems to be properly set up. Could this be a bug in XP? ~B
May 23, 2004 9:01:03 PM

This one did it. I unchecked the option "Use IIEE 802.1x Authentication for this network", and my problems when AWAY!!!

Thanks for the help guys.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 3:01:54 PM

doesn't this lower the security of your system?
god I find all this so bloody confusing!

--
Brett Smith
"Jose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This one did it. I unchecked the option "Use IIEE 802.1x Authentication
for this network", and my problems when AWAY!!!

> Thanks for the help guys.
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 1:49:55 PM

One other thing you could try is stopping the Wireless
Zero Administration service. This has worked for me on
many occasions.

Clive

August 4, 2004 1:29:02 PM

I have the same concern that Brett has about lowering security by unclicking "IIEE 802.1x Authentication."

I own a G and want to use WPA-PSK(?) but this grays out the choice to unclick the above authentication.

Anything new info?

"Brett Smith" wrote:

> doesn't this lower the security of your system?
> god I find all this so bloody confusing!
>

> --
> Brett Smith
> "Jose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This one did it. I unchecked the option "Use IIEE 802.1x Authentication
> for this network", and my problems when AWAY!!!
> >
> > Thanks for the help guys.

November 10, 2004 3:30:55 AM

Brett Smith wrote:
> doesn't this lower the security of your system?
> god I find all this so bloody confusing!

Seems I remember reading somewhere that this option only applies to
ad-hoc computer networks; BUT, I could be wrong.

Stranger
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 3:30:56 AM

Nope. It's happening to a lot of people:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1164/

I wrote to PC Magazine about a similar issue which happened when I disabled
the SSID on the router. I worked with PC Magazine's M. David Stone on an
answer but we never were able to truly figure it out:

Here is the best 'band-aid' I have found for it so far (with no help from MS
on this, btw)

Carey

!