Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATI 7500 AIW refuses to play DVDs or TV, composite ok...???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:21:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

ON a win2K system with catalyst 4.7 installed. I sent the card back
to ATI, and they returned it 2 weeks later (no comments or
communiations other than the RMA number), but there's no change in
behavior. Normal computer display is fine, but neither the DVD
player nor the TV screen will display anything.

Help....

- elmar (replace the "_one" with a numeral for e-mail).
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:00:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

If the normal computer display is fine, chances are 99.9% certain there'll
be a problem with the installation of ATIs Multimedia Centre - MMC- (which
is the software ATI supplies to preform these functions with your card).
Have you tried Un-installing and Re-installing a newish version of MMC (I'm
using 9.0 with my 3 AIW equipped machines)? If you're not sure how to do
this, go to the Rage3d forums and look for the sticky thread all about
software installation for All In Wonders. Its quite easy but you have to
follow a precise procedure (in the correct order).

Paul
"jankin" <chagin_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b7b0f78dd75be649896fa@news-server.nc.rr.com...
> ON a win2K system with catalyst 4.7 installed. I sent the card back
> to ATI, and they returned it 2 weeks later (no comments or
> communiations other than the RMA number), but there's no change in
> behavior. Normal computer display is fine, but neither the DVD
> player nor the TV screen will display anything.
>
> Help....
>
> - elmar (replace the "_one" with a numeral for e-mail).
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:18:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

In article <41114e5f$0$12898$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
> If the normal computer display is fine, chances are 99.9% certain there'll
> be a problem with the installation of ATIs Multimedia Centre - MMC- (which
> is the software ATI supplies to preform these functions with your card).
> Have you tried Un-installing and Re-installing a newish version of MMC (I'm
> using 9.0 with my 3 AIW equipped machines)? If you're not sure how to do
> this, go to the Rage3d forums and look for the sticky thread all about
> software installation for All In Wonders. Its quite easy but you have to
> follow a precise procedure (in the correct order).
....

Thank you for the reply - I have installed the newest mmc (9.0), and
it gives me the pretty multimedia bar fine. But no TV. It just sits
there. I'm about ready to throw this POS into the nearest trash can
and go to nVidia and some cheap TV card. Where are the rage3d
forums? a newsgroup or a BBS? And does anyone know about trade-ins
for this 7500 AIW card?
Related resources
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:27:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"jankin" <chagin_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b7b4740dd98ec3e9896fc@news-server.nc.rr.com...
> In article <41114e5f$0$12898$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
> p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
> > If the normal computer display is fine, chances are 99.9% certain
there'll
> > be a problem with the installation of ATIs Multimedia Centre - MMC-
(which
> > is the software ATI supplies to preform these functions with your card).
> > Have you tried Un-installing and Re-installing a newish version of MMC
(I'm
> > using 9.0 with my 3 AIW equipped machines)? If you're not sure how to do
> > this, go to the Rage3d forums and look for the sticky thread all about
> > software installation for All In Wonders. Its quite easy but you have to
> > follow a precise procedure (in the correct order).
> ...
>
> Thank you for the reply - I have installed the newest mmc (9.0), and
> it gives me the pretty multimedia bar fine. But no TV. It just sits
> there. I'm about ready to throw this POS into the nearest trash can
> and go to nVidia and some cheap TV card. Where are the rage3d
> forums? a newsgroup or a BBS? And does anyone know about trade-ins
> for this 7500 AIW card?

Just because you don't get TV or DVD (currently) with your setup (you never
mentioned if it ever worked and if so what you've done since), doesn't
automatically mean that the card is a "POS" - I have 3 AIW cards (2 original
Radeons and an 8500DV) and they're all working fine under different versions
of Windows..... The rage3d forums are here: www.rage3d.com/board and are a
place of much activity regarding ATI related discussions you want the All In
Wonder forum which specifically is here:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=24 I see the MMC installation
sticky post has gone (it was there for a long time in fairness) so you will
need to search for it using the search capability on the site. ATIs
installation instructions are also now very comprehensive - have you tried
following these to the letter (particularly the bit about other software
which must be set up prior to MMC). What are you using to upgrade to MMC 9.0
from - if you don't understand this, then have a re-read of the installation
instructions and prerequisites before replying. Its no skin of my back if
you want to change to any other brands of products but if you have the view
the cards a POS, you're missing the point - its your installation of it
thats to blame.

Paul

Paul
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 9:10:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

In article <4111e184$0$12950$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
>...
>
> Just because you don't get TV or DVD (currently) with your setup (you never
> mentioned if it ever worked and if so what you've done since),

It was working fine (100%) with the catalyst 4.6 drivers for over a
month, and had been working fine in a different machine for over a
year before that. Then one fine morning, the TV refused to work. No
new software, no new hardware, no windows updates, nothing. So I
assumed that the drivers had gotten mucked up. I uninstalled the old
drivers and installed the 4.7 drivers. No joy. I uninstalled
everything and did a hunt/destroy for everything ATI (including the
driver cleaner mentioned in this group). Then with a vanilla VGA
screen I started over installing from the ATI CDROM, all "express"
i.e. defaults. Still no go. Then I sent the card to ATI, and they
sent it back two weeks later. Then replay the above scenario, twice.

> http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=24 I see the MMC installation
> sticky post has gone (it was there for a long time in fairness) so you will
> need to search for it using the search capability on the site.

Great - this may help. Thanks.

> ATIs
> installation instructions are also now very comprehensive - have you tried
> following these to the letter (particularly the bit about other software
> which must be set up prior to MMC).

Yes. I have dx90c and wmencoder both in place before I installed. I
have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled a dozen times now.

> - its your installation of it
> thats to blame.

This may be true, but now I'm starting to wonder about my
motherboard as well. The machine is not that old (one year), but the
mobo is an MSI (it has a built in svga chip as well, so I could send
off the ATI but still have a computer display, albeit not a very fast
or nice one....)

The other thing that is in the stew is thta for $70 bucks I can get a
4x agp nvidia and a winfast pci tv card, and replace the ati
functionality completely. Anyone want an aparently functional 7500
AIW - cheap plus shipping? Bare bones though.

- elmar
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 4:28:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"jankin" <chagin_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b7c33e91d84df669896fd@news-server.nc.rr.com...
> In article <4111e184$0$12950$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
> p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
> >...
> >
> > Just because you don't get TV or DVD (currently) with your setup (you
never
> > mentioned if it ever worked and if so what you've done since),
>
> It was working fine (100%) with the catalyst 4.6 drivers for over a
> month, and had been working fine in a different machine for over a
> year before that. Then one fine morning, the TV refused to work. No
> new software, no new hardware, no windows updates, nothing. So I
> assumed that the drivers had gotten mucked up. I uninstalled the old
> drivers and installed the 4.7 drivers. No joy. I uninstalled
> everything and did a hunt/destroy for everything ATI (including the
> driver cleaner mentioned in this group). Then with a vanilla VGA
> screen I started over installing from the ATI CDROM, all "express"
> i.e. defaults. Still no go. Then I sent the card to ATI, and they
> sent it back two weeks later. Then replay the above scenario, twice.
>
> > http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=24 I see the MMC
installation
> > sticky post has gone (it was there for a long time in fairness) so you
will
> > need to search for it using the search capability on the site.
>
> Great - this may help. Thanks.
>
> > ATIs
> > installation instructions are also now very comprehensive - have you
tried
> > following these to the letter (particularly the bit about other software
> > which must be set up prior to MMC).
>
> Yes. I have dx90c and wmencoder both in place before I installed. I
> have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled a dozen times now.
>
> > - its your installation of it
> > thats to blame.
>
> This may be true, but now I'm starting to wonder about my
> motherboard as well. The machine is not that old (one year), but the
> mobo is an MSI (it has a built in svga chip as well, so I could send
> off the ATI but still have a computer display, albeit not a very fast
> or nice one....)
>
> The other thing that is in the stew is thta for $70 bucks I can get a
> 4x agp nvidia and a winfast pci tv card, and replace the ati
> functionality completely. Anyone want an aparently functional 7500
> AIW - cheap plus shipping? Bare bones though.
>
> - elmar

Even though a machine may not have an ATI card in it there will still be ATI
related entries in the registry. Even though you have an ATI card, If you've
deleted *all* traces of everything ATIish, that could well be a contributing
factor because reinstalling the software may not put back all the strings
you deleted.. My suggestion is that you back up all your data, format the
HDD and install everything again from scratch, with only minimal
card/hardware plugged in initially until you've got the AIW working fine -
then add other cards. What did you upgrade to MMC 9.0 from (ie how did you
qualify for the DVD Decoder upgrade - or have you not installed that?

If you have not done a "from the ground up" reinstall in a long time, your
PC will thank you for it by running much faster (and usually more reliably
too).

Regards
Paul
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 5:35:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

In article <4112c2b1$0$59470$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
> Even though a machine may not have an ATI card in it there will still be ATI
> related entries in the registry.

Wouldn't regclean remove all those? Especially after all the aTI
related folders are gone?

> Even though you have an ATI card, If you've
> deleted *all* traces of everything ATIish, that could well be a contributing
> factor because reinstalling the software may not put back all the strings
> you deleted.

This confuses me. You have a running box. You buy an ATI card. Are
you telling me that there is no way to install it into an existing
system? I do the install from the original CDROM that came with the
card, then do the updates as specified in the update readme's. At
times even the original installation fails or hangs and has to be
redone. If you are right, then the conclusion is that ATI has good
hardware but the ATI drivers make this thing not worth the trouble.

> My suggestion is that you back up all your data, format the
> HDD and install everything again from scratch, with only minimal
> card/hardware plugged in initially until you've got the AIW working fine -
> then add other cards.

LOL - with no intent to insult you, but do you work for microsoft?

> If you have not done a "from the ground up" reinstall in a long time, your
> PC will thank you for it by running much faster (and usually more reliably
> too).

Win 2K is supposed to be beyond all that, right <grin>...
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 3:06:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"jankin" <chagin_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b7d536af7df2f579896fe@news-server.nc.rr.com...
> In article <4112c2b1$0$59470$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
> p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com says...
> > Even though a machine may not have an ATI card in it there will still be
ATI
> > related entries in the registry.
>
> Wouldn't regclean remove all those? Especially after all the aTI
> related folders are gone?
I'm not familiar with regclean - a well designed program *should* know which
bits to leave behind though - the definite way is to do a from the ground up
reinstall - then you know where you are.
>
> > Even though you have an ATI card, If you've
> > deleted *all* traces of everything ATIish, that could well be a
contributing
> > factor because reinstalling the software may not put back all the
strings
> > you deleted.
>
> This confuses me. You have a running box. You buy an ATI card. Are
> you telling me that there is no way to install it into an existing
> system? I do the install from the original CDROM that came with the
> card, then do the updates as specified in the update readme's. At
> times even the original installation fails or hangs and has to be
> redone. If you are right, then the conclusion is that ATI has good
> hardware but the ATI drivers make this thing not worth the trouble.
Its quite simple really, what I'm saying is that the OS contains certain
registry entries related to different hardware that may not even be in use
(have a nosey *without changing anything* using regedit and see for
yourself). By deleting these entries they are gone forever - not even
installing that hardwares drivers will put back the OS native strings so if
you've deleted ATI related strings you shouldn't have, installing all the
ATI drivers in the world wont help you untill you've corrected the OS
problem first. Your conclusion about ATI hardware and drivers does not stack
up if you take the above into consideration - ie its not up to ATI to
restore deleted OS native registry entries as well as adding their own where
required. Additionally, if you've used the driver CDROM that came with your
AIW 7500 when it was new that will only allow DVD Decoder upgrades up to MMC
7.7 - to get all of 9.0 you will need to get an MMC 8.1 or newer CDROM and
upgrade from there.
>
> > My suggestion is that you back up all your data, format the
> > HDD and install everything again from scratch, with only minimal
> > card/hardware plugged in initially until you've got the AIW working
fine -
> > then add other cards.
>
> LOL - with no intent to insult you, but do you work for microsoft?
No insult taken - with over 3000 millionaires on the Microsoft payroll (and
at least 3 billionaires) I imagine the pay is great. The reason why the MSFT
people who developed the product sometimes suggest its best repaired by a
from the ground up reinstall is that they know the product best. If you want
to know how best to fix a Merc you don't take it to a Toyota specialist.
What will you do if your HDD crashes/fails and you have no backup? Assuming
you do have complete back-ups then its a relatively simple (although
mundane) job to reinstall on a freshly formatted disk.
>
> > If you have not done a "from the ground up" reinstall in a long time,
your
> > PC will thank you for it by running much faster (and usually more
reliably
> > too).
>
> Win 2K is supposed to be beyond all that, right <grin>...
Win2k is better in this regard than Win9.x and ME but its still far from
perfect, especially if lots of applications have been installed and
uninstalled - leaving behind rouge entries. My only reason for suggesting
the reinstall is that in my time as a computer tech (working for a school),
I found it was often easier and faster in the long run to fix registry
related errors this way than fiddling around manually editing things. I'm
certain a from the ground up install will get the card going again fine as
its not an ATI problem but an installation one. Of course there's that old
saying about leading a horse to water....

Paul
!