Doom3 vs system shock 2

I found that very funny that doom 3 is base on the story of system shock 2.
I don't have any bad comment about the game on witch they have build doom3 on that one. But would it
be more interesting if the story line could have been more creative huh!.

As far as I can remember system shock action was on a ship posseded by some evil and we had to get
some particular code and card to acces some other part of the ship. Plus like systemshock2 the
environment is also changing from steel walls and other stuff to some organic creature fixed to the
walls.

But in a other hand the game doom3 give some new element to work whit like lighting effect and
metamorphic environment like walls and guardrails witch to me is great and some good interacting
characters that give me often a good anguish.

8-O :'-S ;->

GG.

"Dreamaker" <onceuponatime@theEnd.com> wrote in message
> I found that very funny that doom 3 is base on the story of system shock
2.
> I don't have any bad comment about the game on witch they have build doom3
on that one. But would it
> be more interesting if the story line could have been more creative huh!.
>
> As far as I can remember system shock action was on a ship posseded by
some evil and we had to get
> some particular code and card to acces some other part of the ship. Plus
like systemshock2 the
> environment is also changing from steel walls and other stuff to some
organic creature fixed to the
> walls.
>
> But in a other hand the game doom3 give some new element to work whit like
lighting effect and
> metamorphic environment like walls and guardrails witch to me is great and
some good interacting
> characters that give me often a good anguish.

System Shock 2 was unbelievably complex (compared to other games)
gameplay-wise. Weapons actually broke in combat and had to be repaired,
maintained, and modified. You had to chase down chemicals to research stuff.
You were forced to pick the right weapon to attack a given opponent, etc.
There were implants, codes, access cards, and of course character stats. I
think it's the best game I've ever played. Doom 3, on the other hand, is a
dumb shooter compared to SS2. Still, I think it's an improvement over Doom 1
and 2 gameplay-wise (graphically there's no contest of course).

The story in D3 reminds me of half life. We have a big research facility.
You start your day there peacefully and then everything goes to hell in a
hand basket.
--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Actually, its based on the storyline in Doom 1. Its more a remake than a sequel IMO.

Dreamaker wrote:
>But would it be more interesting if the story line
> could have been more creative huh!.

>System Shock 2 was unbelievably complex (compared to other games)
>gameplay-wise. Weapons actually broke in combat and had to be repaired,
>maintained, and modified. You had to chase down chemicals to research stuff.
>You were forced to pick the right weapon to attack a given opponent, etc.
>There were implants, codes, access cards, and of course character stats. I
>think it's the best game I've ever played. Doom 3, on the other hand, is a
>dumb shooter compared to SS2. Still, I think it's an improvement over Doom 1
>and 2 gameplay-wise (graphically there's no contest of course).

True.
Maybe d3 is a dumb shooter like you say but what's your missing is a little improvement that concern
d3 like e-mail, special codes to open lockers, video and voice mail that people left behind before
the hell break loose. And these thing, you need them to achieve your goal, kill every thing...
heuh..

People who are getting the game is for fashion and to justify vs there wife their big video card
like 9800pro 256mb or what so ever over 350$ us or 500+cnd

> >System Shock 2 was unbelievably complex (compared to other games)
> >gameplay-wise. Weapons actually broke in combat and had to be repaired,
> >maintained, and modified. You had to chase down chemicals to research
stuff.
> >You were forced to pick the right weapon to attack a given opponent, etc.
> >There were implants, codes, access cards, and of course character stats.
> >think it's the best game I've ever played. Doom 3, on the other hand, is
> >dumb shooter compared to SS2. Still, I think it's an improvement over
Doom 1
> >and 2 gameplay-wise (graphically there's no contest of course).
>
> True.
> Maybe d3 is a dumb shooter like you say but what's your missing is a
little improvement that concern
> d3 like e-mail, special codes to open lockers, video and voice mail that
people left behind before
> the hell break loose. And these thing, you need them to achieve your goal,
kill every thing...
> heuh..

Of course I like the codes and the email stuff. I said D3 is a dumb shooter
when you compare it to SS2. By itself it's not.

I absolutely love the way the crosshair turns into a little cursor in D3
when you approach a console. Other games usually take you to a different
screen to access a console or make you push a button. In D3, consoles and
buttons have little GUIs for the player, which I think improves immersion
greatly.

> People who are getting the game is for fashion and to justify vs there
wife their big video card
> like 9800pro 256mb or what so ever over 350$ us or 500+cnd

Good for them. I'll keep running D3 on my 9700 Pro on High Quality. I can
handle an occasional pause here or there if it gets me higher quality.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

"Dreamaker" <onceuponatime@theEnd.com> wrote in message

> >System Shock 2 was unbelievably complex (compared to other games)
> >gameplay-wise. Weapons actually broke in combat and had to be repaired,
> >maintained, and modified. You had to chase down chemicals to research
stuff.
> >You were forced to pick the right weapon to attack a given opponent, etc.
> >There were implants, codes, access cards, and of course character stats.
> >think it's the best game I've ever played. Doom 3, on the other hand, is
> >dumb shooter compared to SS2. Still, I think it's an improvement over
Doom 1
> >and 2 gameplay-wise (graphically there's no contest of course).
>
> True.
> Maybe d3 is a dumb shooter like you say but what's your missing is a
little improvement that concern
> d3 like e-mail, special codes to open lockers, video and voice mail that
people left behind before

LOL, all of which appeared in SS2, if the models weren't so bad in SS2 it
would have been a bigger hit.
Probably if it was less complex it might had had more of a following.
That was a scary game.

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 00:19:55 +0800, "Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote:

There is a texture mod out there for SS2 that greatly improves the
appearance of some of the NPCs in the game. Should still be at:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.html

Villain

"Bravery is not a function of firepower"
-J.C. Denton-

<snipped>

>LOL, all of which appeared in SS2, if the models weren't so bad in SS2 it
>would have been a bigger hit.
>Probably if it was less complex it might had had more of a following.
>That was a scary game.

website's gone

NoRemorse <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> System Shock 2 was unbelievably complex (compared to other games)
> gameplay-wise. Weapons actually broke in combat and had to be
> repaired, maintained, and modified. You had to chase down chemicals to
> research stuff.
> You were forced to pick the right weapon to attack a given opponent,
> etc. There were implants, codes, access cards, and of course character
> stats.

Many of these things were brought over to the first Deus Ex, even the
user interface is almost identical.

-a

<ammonton@cc.full.stop.helsinki.fi> wrote in message
> NoRemorse <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > System Shock 2 was unbelievably complex (compared to other games)
> > gameplay-wise. Weapons actually broke in combat and had to be
> > repaired, maintained, and modified. You had to chase down chemicals to
> > research stuff.
> > You were forced to pick the right weapon to attack a given opponent,
> > etc. There were implants, codes, access cards, and of course character
> > stats.
>
> Many of these things were brought over to the first Deus Ex, even the
> user interface is almost identical.

Yeah. I liked Deus Ex too, but it was simpler than SS2.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

Read about this a while ago, but a few too many games on my plate to play
SS2 again, however I think you mis-spelled the URL
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

Thought you might have missed the underscore, but it looks like the
exetention shouldn't have an "l"

Just had a look at http://www.sshock2.com/ and am amazed ppl are still
working on cutscenes and songs etc..

Cheers.