A9800XT problems.

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with the 9800XT I installed the other week, often
(at least once a session) the computer locks up, this is often
accompanied by the screen either going black or becoming fragmented.
After several seconds whatever program was being run will exit to
desktop and there will be an error message there stating that the
graphics card has been restarted for some reason.

I am running the latest Asus drivers, although this problem also
occurred with the previous driver version. If SmartDoctor is running
on the desktop at the time, I have occasionally noticed that the
status part of it (on the left hand side where is normally says 'Your
video card is ok') is displaying some text in red, but it reverts back
to the 'ok' message too quickly to see what it is actually saying.
This is a very annoying problem, as it means I cannot reliably engage
in multiplayer gaming - the reason I bought the card in the first
place!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

cheers all.

System:
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
AMD XP3200+
1Gb Geil Golden Dragon RAM
Asus A9800XT/TVD card
WD Raptor 74Gb HDD
Windows XP Pro.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

How hot is your video card running? Sounds like it is overheating to me.
Depending on what video drivers you are using, you can click on overdrive
tab under advanced settings.

Steve

"Vormulac" <tristanluscombe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble with the 9800XT I installed the other week, often
> (at least once a session) the computer locks up, this is often
> accompanied by the screen either going black or becoming fragmented.
> After several seconds whatever program was being run will exit to
> desktop and there will be an error message there stating that the
> graphics card has been restarted for some reason.
>
> I am running the latest Asus drivers, although this problem also
> occurred with the previous driver version. If SmartDoctor is running
> on the desktop at the time, I have occasionally noticed that the
> status part of it (on the left hand side where is normally says 'Your
> video card is ok') is displaying some text in red, but it reverts back
> to the 'ok' message too quickly to see what it is actually saying.
> This is a very annoying problem, as it means I cannot reliably engage
> in multiplayer gaming - the reason I bought the card in the first
> place!
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> cheers all.
>
> System:
> Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
> AMD XP3200+
> 1Gb Geil Golden Dragon RAM
> Asus A9800XT/TVD card
> WD Raptor 74Gb HDD
> Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for your input chaps. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I
have a 21" monitor running at 1600x1200 @ 100Hz; at idle (well, a couple of
browsers running) the GPU temp as reported by SmartDoctor settles to around
56-57 degrees C, although after some UT2k4 or Battlefield Vietnam it ends
up something like 10 degrees higher.
Does that sound unreasonably high to you?

Thanks again for your help.

Remove n0spam to email me.

It sounds like either the video card is overheating during your session, OR
your power supply unit is NOT able to supply enough wattage during demanding
scenes and is cutting the video card out.

--
DaveW