ATI 9200 Mobility 32Mb

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to allocate some system ram to bump the 32Mb up to 64Mb+
is there some way of doing this and would there be any performance gain?

Cheers
DIJ
3 answers Last reply
More about 9200 mobility 32mb

    DIJ wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    > Is it possible to allocate some system ram to bump the 32Mb up to 64Mb+
    > is there some way of doing this and would there be any performance gain?

    Basically this is what AGP does anyway (at least for textures, but the
    frame buffer and z-buffer should fit into 32MB).

    André

    "André Janz" <ALDUBOFMWIGO@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > DIJ wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everyone,
    >> Is it possible to allocate some system ram to bump the 32Mb up to 64Mb+
    >> is there some way of doing this and would there be any performance gain?
    >
    > Basically this is what AGP does anyway (at least for textures, but the
    > frame buffer and z-buffer should fit into 32MB).
    >
    > André

    Thanks for the response.
    I didn't think I could do anything, just thought i'd ask though.

    DIJ

    DIJ wrote:

    > "André Janz" <ALDUBOFMWIGO@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>DIJ wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi everyone,
    >>>Is it possible to allocate some system ram to bump the 32Mb up to 64Mb+
    >>>is there some way of doing this and would there be any performance gain?
    >>
    >>Basically this is what AGP does anyway (at least for textures, but the
    >>frame buffer and z-buffer should fit into 32MB).
    >
    > Thanks for the response.
    > I didn't think I could do anything, just thought i'd ask though.

    You can adjust the AGP aperture size in the BIOS setup. But this doesn't
    influence performance directly, you only need this when you have a lot
    of high-res textures.
    Actually the problem with that video solution is not only the lack of
    ram but the lack of ram bandwidth. The Mobility Radeon 9000/9200 (only
    difference between them is AGP 8x support which is rather useless) can
    only have 128-bit access to its ram with 64MB of video memory. With 32MB
    ram it only has 64-bit access which severely limits performance
    (equivalent to Radeon 9200SE). See eg.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~f=lg&~id=gfxinspnmobility&~series=inspn
    http://www.thinkpaddepot.com/productpg.asp?linkid=237394U

    But nonetheless, if you choose your games carefully you will have a good
    gaming performance on that notebook. (I suppose you care for gaming
    because this only matters for 3D graphics.)

    André

Radeon Performance ATI Mobility Graphics