Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATI 9200 Mobility 32Mb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:09:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to allocate some system ram to bump the 32Mb up to 64Mb+
is there some way of doing this and would there be any performance gain?

Cheers
DIJ

More about : ati 9200 mobility 32mb

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 7:38:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

DIJ wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Is it possible to allocate some system ram to bump the 32Mb up to 64Mb+
> is there some way of doing this and would there be any performance gain?

Basically this is what AGP does anyway (at least for textures, but the
frame buffer and z-buffer should fit into 32MB).

André
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 7:38:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"André Janz" <ALDUBOFMWIGO@spammotel.com> wrote in message
news:2nerj2F3rdeU1@uni-berlin.de...
> DIJ wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> Is it possible to allocate some system ram to bump the 32Mb up to 64Mb+
>> is there some way of doing this and would there be any performance gain?
>
> Basically this is what AGP does anyway (at least for textures, but the
> frame buffer and z-buffer should fit into 32MB).
>
> André

Thanks for the response.
I didn't think I could do anything, just thought i'd ask though.

DIJ
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 4:29:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

DIJ wrote:

> "André Janz" <ALDUBOFMWIGO@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> news:2nerj2F3rdeU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
>>DIJ wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone,
>>>Is it possible to allocate some system ram to bump the 32Mb up to 64Mb+
>>>is there some way of doing this and would there be any performance gain?
>>
>>Basically this is what AGP does anyway (at least for textures, but the
>>frame buffer and z-buffer should fit into 32MB).
>
> Thanks for the response.
> I didn't think I could do anything, just thought i'd ask though.

You can adjust the AGP aperture size in the BIOS setup. But this doesn't
influence performance directly, you only need this when you have a lot
of high-res textures.
Actually the problem with that video solution is not only the lack of
ram but the lack of ram bandwidth. The Mobility Radeon 9000/9200 (only
difference between them is AGP 8x support which is rather useless) can
only have 128-bit access to its ram with 64MB of video memory. With 32MB
ram it only has 64-bit access which severely limits performance
(equivalent to Radeon 9200SE). See eg.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.asp...
http://www.thinkpaddepot.com/productpg.asp?linkid=23739...

But nonetheless, if you choose your games carefully you will have a good
gaming performance on that notebook. (I suppose you care for gaming
because this only matters for 3D graphics.)

André
!