Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:04:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
so please join us and sign-in at:
"Say NO! to Steam!"
petition available at petitiononline:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

top 10 things to know before buying half-life 2 and accepting steam
http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc...
January 10, 2005 1:43:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote

> 27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
> so please join us and sign-in at:
> "Say NO! to Steam!"

I wouldn't want to be there when Walter catches up with you.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:03:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Vince" wrote

> "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote
>
>> 27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
>> so please join us and sign-in at:
>> "Say NO! to Steam!"
>
I guess the rest of the 50.000 been banned by Valve thinks it's ok to be
banned
Hmm who would have thought that

- Peter
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:15:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> abagooba zoink larblortch
news:qhd4u0dghpn20ltnfbvqirvura885sub7m@4ax.com:

> 27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!

Idunno. Steam makes for some mighty tasty broccoli, and it's such an
effective natural moisturizer, too.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:04:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:04:44 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!

Taking a quick look at the comments, yeah, they can.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:57:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:04:44 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
>so please join us and sign-in at:
>"Say NO! to Steam!"
>petition available at petitiononline:
>http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

Heck, and I haven't even signed it.

I don't believe in petitions, I believe in informing the public.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:13:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, riku wrote:

>> 27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
>> so please join us and sign-in at:
>> "Say NO! to Steam!"
>> petition available at petitiononline:
>> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
>
> Heck, and I haven't even signed it.
>
> I don't believe in petitions, I believe in informing the public.

everything is important when it comes to fight steam
valve's has many powerfull weapons, so we must use everything we have!
come on Riku! sign-in man!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:16:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:04:44 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>27014 gamers can't be wrong about steam!
>so please join us and sign-in at:
>"Say NO! to Steam!"
>petition available at petitiononline:
>http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

....nor will I sign it, because I think the message and argument in
that petition is rather weak. I have pointed out my reasons why I
don't like Steam for single-player games.

What is the purpose of that petition anyway? What are you asking Valve
to do, to close down Steam? Or is that petition just a general "Shame
on you, we hate you!" directed to Valve?


A good petition would tell what the signers want Valve to do, for
example:

1. Make it possible to freely transfer individual Steam games between
accounts, and maybe also to freely unregister the CD key of the CD/DVD
version, in order to make it easier/possible to transfer the ownership
of individual Steam games, and generally make it easier to administer
one's Steam accounts, if someone has several of them (e.g. different
accounts for the different members of the family with their own choice
of games). This does not necessarily have to apply to banned or locked
Steam accounts.

2. Drop the online validation requirement for the single-player game
of the RETAIL (CD/DVD) version so that people who rather want to buy a
stand-alone version of a Steam game can buy one. Use other more
commonly used ways to protect your copyright on the retail CD/DVD
version, like DVD checks. People who hate DVD checks can buy the
non-physical Steam-only version with its online validation etc. More
choices to the customer = good.

3. Release Steam game updates also separately so that people can
download and archive them and update their Steam games manually with
the update of their choice, if they so wish. Just like they can do
with all their other PC games.


So doesn't this sound more useful petition? At least Valve could react
to its points and give their answers why they possibly disagree with
these points. At least it could be funny to hear their excuses. It is
like that one anti-piracy lawyer claiming that the only home-users who
want and need a broadband internet connection are pirates, others are
fine with a dialup connection for their web browsing and emails. ;-)
January 11, 2005 6:06:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

In article <g457u05618skmso14716l9r2mk4gqidqe6@4ax.com>, riku <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote:

>2. Drop the online validation requirement for the single-player game
>of the RETAIL (CD/DVD) version so that people who rather want to buy a
>stand-alone version of a Steam game can buy one. Use other more
>commonly used ways to protect your copyright on the retail CD/DVD
>version, like DVD checks. People who hate DVD checks can buy the
>non-physical Steam-only version with its online validation etc. More
>choices to the customer = good.
>
>3. Release Steam game updates also separately so that people can
>download and archive them and update their Steam games manually with
>the update of their choice, if they so wish. Just like they can do
>with all their other PC games.

Hear, hear.


>like that one anti-piracy lawyer claiming that the only home-users who
>want and need a broadband internet connection are pirates, others are
>fine with a dialup connection for their web browsing and emails. ;-)

I take it that lawyer didn't work for Valve... or else he just shot his employers in the other foot. ;-)
January 11, 2005 11:36:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Well said Riku.

My son has just brought HL1 and HL2. Although he will occasionally
play a MP game, in reality he simply doesn't have the time so he really
ONLY needs the single-player, OFFLINE mode.

At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).

--
Barry...
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:36:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Bazza wrote:
> Well said Riku.
>
> My son has just brought HL1 and HL2. Although he will occasionally
> play a MP game, in reality he simply doesn't have the time so he really
> ONLY needs the single-player, OFFLINE mode.
>

Why does playing MP take any more time than playing SP?

> At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
> SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
> a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
>

Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.

> --
> Barry...
>


--
Walter Mitty
-
Useless, waste of money research of the day : http://tinyurl.com/6yh2f
http://www.tinyurl.com
January 11, 2005 11:36:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:36:06 +1100, "Bazza" <Bazza@privacy.com> wrote:

>Well said Riku.
>
>My son has just brought HL1 and HL2. Although he will occasionally
>play a MP game, in reality he simply doesn't have the time so he really
>ONLY needs the single-player, OFFLINE mode.
>
>At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).

Well there still isn't an option to not connect to play SP games in
the Steam bought version. So how exactly is it suppose to be easier to
play offline?
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:36:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:25:50 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>> SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>> a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
>>
>
>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.

Are you claiming other PC CD/DVD games (with no online activation)
don't validate your legitimate purchase at all?
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:36:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

noone@nowhere.com wrote:
> Well there still isn't an option to not connect to play SP games in
> the Steam bought version. So how exactly is it suppose to be easier to
> play offline?

The option has *always* been there for HL2. (Offline mode for Steam was
addded around Spring 2004)

If you have not updated Steam in the past week, you wouldn't have
noticed that Offline mode was made easier to use, all you have to do now
with the latest update is simply press "cancel" when Steam is trying to
login, and it will offer you the option to play Offline.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:14:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Vader des Vaderlands wrote:

> Sure when a product causes trouble and flat out refuses to work on
> some machines people have a right to complain until either it is fixed

again, i don't think you are seeing clearly
valve with steam put aside gamers without internet connection period
this is not "product causes trouble", this is a product which valve
decided could not function with a particular group of gamers
but is there REAL reasons for internet required in single-player hl2?
NO! there isn't!!!
to REALLY play hl2 you need a p4, lots of ram and a hardware graphic
accelerator, but NOT INTERNET ACCESS!!!
so valve decided to completely neglect a group of gamers only so they
can apply a plan to simply give them more power and make them more
money
do they have the right? off course they have!
do WE the gamers who have been put aside have the right to flame valve?
off course WE have!
f* valve a million times its what i say!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:15:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, riku wrote:

> What is the purpose of that petition anyway? What are you asking Valve
> to do, to close down Steam? Or is that petition just a general "Shame
> on you, we hate you!" directed to Valve?

if you want my personal opinion, i would want steam to be declared
illegal and be completely banned from planet earth

> A good petition would tell what the signers want Valve to do, for
> example:
>
> 1. Make it possible to freely transfer individual Steam games between
> accounts, and maybe also to freely unregister the CD key of the CD/DVD
> version, in order to make it easier/possible to transfer the ownership
> of individual Steam games, and generally make it easier to administer
> one's Steam accounts, if someone has several of them (e.g. different
> accounts for the different members of the family with their own choice
> of games). This does not necessarily have to apply to banned or locked
> Steam accounts.
>
> 2. Drop the online validation requirement for the single-player game
> of the RETAIL (CD/DVD) version so that people who rather want to buy a
> stand-alone version of a Steam game can buy one. Use other more
> commonly used ways to protect your copyright on the retail CD/DVD
> version, like DVD checks. People who hate DVD checks can buy the
> non-physical Steam-only version with its online validation etc. More
> choices to the customer = good.
>
> 3. Release Steam game updates also separately so that people can
> download and archive them and update their Steam games manually with
> the update of their choice, if they so wish. Just like they can do
> with all their other PC games.
>
> So doesn't this sound more useful petition? At least Valve could react
> to its points and give their answers why they possibly disagree with
> these points. At least it could be funny to hear their excuses. It is
> like that one anti-piracy lawyer claiming that the only home-users who
> want and need a broadband internet connection are pirates, others are
> fine with a dialup connection for their web browsing and emails. ;-)

at this point in time i have an extreme prejudice again valve and steam
so the only thing i would want is to make steam go away altogether, but
i find your petition proposal very fair, and if you decide to do it, and
i think you should! i will sign-in
personally it addresses what i call the 3 main unnegotiable requirements
when it comes to a publisher selling games
.. availability in physical cd/dvd medium with a buy once use forever cost
.. no activation "ask for permission" humiliation
.. patches freely available and distributed in file format

so Riku i agree with your petition proposal, for me you don't need to add
anything at all cause it addresses all my personal issue when it comes to
steam, so please create it, and i'll be the first to sign-in, but please
do create it! don't make this only another idea but make it reality!
thanks!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:55:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> > At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
> > SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
> > a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
> >
>
> Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.

If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
Very weak, Walter.

--
Niko Wellingk
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:55:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Niko Wellingk" <naw@dna.removeme.fi> wrote in message
news:m2k6qiq00x.fsf@medusa.dna.fi...
> Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > > At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
> > > SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
> > > a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
> > >
> >
> > Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>
> If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
> Very weak, Walter.

Because it does such a wonderful job of stopping piracy! Why,
that's not too much to ask is it? To verify your purchase, to help
stop piracy?


Oh wait, the problem is, HL2 was pirated every bit as badly (or
worse) than any other game out there. 50000 steam accounts
closed for exploit downloading it on the first day of release.
Dozens of torrents of functional versions all over the web in
a matter of days.

In case Walter is still in denial, I suggest checking out this
site:

http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=9759ef9d0...
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 7:50:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Niko Wellingk wrote:
> Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>
>>>At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>>>SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>>>a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
>>>
>>
>>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>
>
> If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
> Very weak, Walter.
>

You don't.

--
Walter Mitty
-
Useless, waste of money research of the day : http://tinyurl.com/6yh2f
http://www.tinyurl.com
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:05:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:50:37 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Niko Wellingk wrote:
>> Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>
>>>>At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>>>>SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>>>>a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
>>>>
>>>
>>>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>>
>>
>> If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
>> Very weak, Walter.
>>
>
>You don't.

Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?

Lynley
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:05:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Lynley James wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:50:37 +0100, Walter Mitty
> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>>Niko Wellingk wrote:
>>
>>>Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>>At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>>>>>SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>>>>>a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>>>
>>>
>>>If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
>>>Very weak, Walter.
>>>
>>
>>You don't.
>
>
> Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?
>
> Lynley

You dont have to keep validating. You can do it once. Whats so difficult
to understand, and if youre on broadband flatrate, whats the problem :
the game isnt being re-validated - steam checks for updates.

--
Walter Mitty
-
Useless, waste of money research of the day : http://tinyurl.com/6yh2f
http://www.tinyurl.com
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:05:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Lynley James" <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f5mau0dfb6he4j4bactkicfjmqfeqqbtoc@4ax.com...
> Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?
>
> Lynley

It didn't, and doesn't, no matter how much Walter claims
otherwise. People are *still* able to exploit steam and
get all the .GCF files for the whole game, for free. Right
through steam itself. I've posted the site twice now in
this thread, and I don't want to do it anymore because it's
giving info to people that probably shouldn't have it.

But Walter needs to be cuffed by the ear and dragged to
a screen to see that site and be forced to face up to reality
and get out of his dreamworld.

Steam did *nothing* whatsoever to stop piracy. And in
the process, it made thousands of customers extremely
pissed off about having to haul their machines to someone
elses house to install (if they had no internet connect), or
waiting hours on the first day for dial up to register.

Walter's entire house of cards is based on the fact that
Steam stopped or slowed down pirates. So he cannot
possibly accept that it did not, or the whole thing collapses.

And yet Steam is a complete and utter failure in this regard.
It didn't stop anyone, people got it right from steam itself,
and there are hundereds of full versions floating on the net,
no cd cracks, steam emulators.. Hell, people can still play
CSS online with cracked versions.

The *fact* is, Valve is incompetent on security issues. There
is no denying that. Unless you are in denial with your head
in the sand and arguing because you don't know how to do
anything else.

Wake up Walter!!!!
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:12:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:21:10 +0000, Ben Cottrell
<bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

>noone@nowhere.com wrote:
>> Well there still isn't an option to not connect to play SP games in
>> the Steam bought version. So how exactly is it suppose to be easier to
>> play offline?
>
>The option has *always* been there for HL2. (Offline mode for Steam was
>addded around Spring 2004)
>
>If you have not updated Steam in the past week, you wouldn't have
>noticed that Offline mode was made easier to use, all you have to do now
>with the latest update is simply press "cancel" when Steam is trying to
>login, and it will offer you the option to play Offline.

Strange. I just tried that and it doesn't work. I hit Cancel repeatedly and it
still pops up with my Steam games list. If I hit it before the Cancel text
turns white the program just quits.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:12:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o ltau0hsfbv1t9vm214ri4dnsmvhrr1359@4ax.com...
>>If you have not updated Steam in the past week, you wouldn't have
> >noticed that Offline mode was made easier to use, all you have to do now
> >with the latest update is simply press "cancel" when Steam is trying to
> >login, and it will offer you the option to play Offline.
>
> Strange. I just tried that and it doesn't work. I hit Cancel repeatedly
and it
> still pops up with my Steam games list. If I hit it before the Cancel text
> turns white the program just quits.

The only way I can get offline mode to work is to pull my
network cable or to disable my network connection temporarily.
Hardly even worth it, so 99% of the time I play, Valve is able
to see that I'm playing.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 12:04:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Jim Vieira wrote:
> "Lynley James" <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f5mau0dfb6he4j4bactkicfjmqfeqqbtoc@4ax.com...
>
>>Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?
>>
>>Lynley
>
>
> It didn't, and doesn't, no matter how much Walter claims
> otherwise. People are *still* able to exploit steam and
> get all the .GCF files for the whole game, for free. Right
> through steam itself. I've posted the site twice now in
> this thread, and I don't want to do it anymore because it's
> giving info to people that probably shouldn't have it.
>
> But Walter needs to be cuffed by the ear and dragged to
> a screen to see that site and be forced to face up to reality
> and get out of his dreamworld.
>
> Steam did *nothing* whatsoever to stop piracy. And in

Rubbish. It discouraged casual copying. Steam is more tan that though. I
controls and manages the platform for the games. It provides updates. It
is not all about stopping you thieving games Jim.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 12:05:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Jim Vieira wrote:
>
> http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=9759ef9d0...
>
>
>

Where did I ever deny this Jim? Where? Do tell.

Making things up to support your rabid ravings don't make you right you
know? Go take a pill and have a lie down. Nurse will be along in a minute.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 12:23:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:49:39 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Lynley James wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:50:37 +0100, Walter Mitty
>> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Niko Wellingk wrote:
>>>
>>>>Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>At least, according to the steam website, the latest steam update is
>>>>>>SUPPOSED to make offline playing easier ... we'll see once I open
>>>>>>a steam A/C (and only because I'm being FORCED to).
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>If it is legit, why do I have to keep validating its legitimacy?
>>>>Very weak, Walter.
>>>>
>>>
>>>You don't.
>>
>>
>> Ok then, how does validating stop thieves and piracy?
>>
>> Lynley
>
>You dont have to keep validating. You can do it once. Whats so difficult
>to understand, and if youre on broadband flatrate, whats the problem :
>the game isnt being re-validated - steam checks for updates.

You still haven't answered me. Pirates wil crack it so they will
NEVER have to validate, all this feature of Steam does is
inconvenience and annoy legitimate users just like most other
copyprots.

Lynley
January 13, 2005 12:56:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in part...
>
> Why does playing MP take any more time than playing SP?
>

Simply that he can save a SP game and restart from that save point.
I presume that can't be done in a MP game.

>
> Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>

There are many other ways to validate my legitimate purchase.

The point is Valve could make HL2 in various versions, ie.
online/MP only, offline/SP only, both, etc.

Although millions have access to the internet around the world, that's
actually a very small percentage of the total world population.
Significantly fewer people have access to broad band.

Anyway, *I* prefer to just have a offline/SP version and I don't want
to have to install some other software simply to play the game that I or
my son has legally purchased.

I presume that you "like" steam. That's fine by me, but I don't. I'll
install it, tolerate it, but only because I have NO choice and that is the
real issue here ... NO choice.

Barry...
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 12:56:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Bazza wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in part...
>
>>Why does playing MP take any more time than playing SP?
>>
>
>
> Simply that he can save a SP game and restart from that save point.
> I presume that can't be done in a MP game.
>

Erm. *boggle*.

>
>>Yes. To validate your legitimate purchase.
>>
>
>
> There are many other ways to validate my legitimate purchase.
>
> The point is Valve could make HL2 in various versions, ie.
> online/MP only, offline/SP only, both, etc.
>

They have.

> Although millions have access to the internet around the world, that's
> actually a very small percentage of the total world population.

True. But most with computers do. If not, well ...

> Significantly fewer people have access to broad band.
>

True, but Ive read many posts from people with 56k modems who also had
no problem.

> Anyway, *I* prefer to just have a offline/SP version and I don't want
> to have to install some other software simply to play the game that I or
> my son has legally purchased.

What other SW? Do you feel the same way about most games using directx
to support them?

>
> I presume that you "like" steam. That's fine by me, but I don't. I'll
> install it, tolerate it, but only because I have NO choice and that is the
> real issue here ... NO choice.
>
>

Sure you have a choice : dont buy it.
January 13, 2005 12:56:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

/snip/

Although millions have access to the internet around the world, that's
actually a very small percentage of the total world population.
Significantly fewer people have access to broad band.

As is the number of the world population who have a computer or could spend
that much money on a game. Think about what you are saying before you post.

/snip/
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:36:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Jim Vieira wrote:
> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o ltau0hsfbv1t9vm214ri4dnsmvhrr1359@4ax.com...
>
>>>If you have not updated Steam in the past week, you wouldn't have
>>>noticed that Offline mode was made easier to use, all you have to do now
>>>with the latest update is simply press "cancel" when Steam is trying to
>>>login, and it will offer you the option to play Offline.
>>
>>Strange. I just tried that and it doesn't work. I hit Cancel repeatedly
>
> and it
>
>>still pops up with my Steam games list. If I hit it before the Cancel text
>>turns white the program just quits.
>
>
> The only way I can get offline mode to work is to pull my
> network cable or to disable my network connection temporarily.
> Hardly even worth it, so 99% of the time I play, Valve is able
> to see that I'm playing.
>
>

Or hit "cancel" when starting steam. Yawn. Next. Steam is a developing
platform. You didn't write it Jim so there are issues : but it seems to
me and andy sane reader that Valve are addressing the issues and
providing a damn stable, solid platform for their game catalog.

--
Walter Mitty
-
Useless, waste of money research of the day : http://tinyurl.com/6yh2f
http://www.tinyurl.com
January 13, 2005 4:23:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in part...
> Bazza wrote:
> >
> > Simply that he can save a SP game and restart from that save point.
> > I presume that can't be done in a MP game.
> >
>
> Erm. *boggle*.

What does that mean? Yes or No? Speak, err, write english.

> > There are many other ways to validate my legitimate purchase.
> >
> > The point is Valve could make HL2 in various versions, ie.
> > online/MP only, offline/SP only, both, etc.
>
> They have.

Where are they then? The only ones I've seen REQUIRE a internet
connection to validate my purchase and open a steam A/C. That is
*NOT* a offline or SP ONLY version of HL2.

>
> > I presume that you "like" steam. That's fine by me, but I don't. I'll
> > install it, tolerate it, but only because I have NO choice and that is the
> > real issue here ... NO choice.
> >
>
> Sure you have a choice : don't buy it.

That is just ONE choice and the ONLY choice I have. Valve could have
easily created other "choices" but choose not to.

Here's another objection ... their FORCED updates to the game. As I
understand it, if you don't update, you can't play. Not even in offline
mode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

How does Valve know that the update isn't going to break HL2 on *my*
PC? Or worse, "break" something in Windows that stops the PC from
working. They don't and can never know that. This is a family used for
more than just playing games.

OK, there's an update to HL2. Tell me about it and let me install it when
I'm ready and in a somewhat controlled environment. But don't stop me
from playing HL2 in the mean time. That's being autocratic and arrogant
in the extreme.

If you tell me that the updates don't go wrong, then I would say you have
simply been lucky so far. Recently I tried to install the latest Intel network
drivers and the install completely stuffed things up. I lost all network
connection. Fortunately I had a Ghost image backup of my C_Drive and
a simply restore resolved the issue. Over the years, heaps of updates have
gone "bad" for whatever reason.

I DON'T install new software and/or updates on this PC, excluding virus
sig updates and similar during the week. I only install updates, etc. at the
W/E after taking a image backup of my C_Drive. Now if my son comes
home from school on, say, Tuesday and there's a HL2 update then unless
it's installed then, he can't play HL2 for the rest of the week. As I said,
bloody arrogant.

Anyway, I'm arguing with a Steam apologist and there is nothing that I can
say that will change your opinion. That's your right.

To put it simply we agree to disagree.

Barry...
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:23:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Bazza" <Bazza@privacy.com> wrote in message
news:34kq71F4d1f7fU1@individual.net...
"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in part...
> Bazza wrote:
> Here's another objection ... their FORCED updates to the game. As I
> understand it, if you don't update, you can't play. Not even in offline
> mode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've read here, and from my memory of the steam settings page (not
in front of my home computer at the moment, so can't check) there is an
option to disable automatic updates of the games.

> Or worse, "break" something in Windows that stops the PC from
> working. They don't and can never know that.

I suspect they can be reasonably certain of it. If HL2 is like most games it
will be pretty self contained, apart from directx interaction and the like,
and a patch would only alter files in the HL2 directory. Short of causing
your machine to run out of disk space I'd say it's fairly safe. Updates to
steam itself I'd be less sure of, but would still expect to be self
contained.

> Tell me about it and let me install it when I'm ready

Now that I can fully agree with, though more from the perspective riku has
described, of being able to choose which patch you'd like to play.

> Recently I tried to install the latest Intel network
> drivers and the install completely stuffed things up. I lost all network
> connection.

Not a good comparison. First of all, installing drivers can easilly cause
all manner of problems. A network driver is used by all sorts of apparently
unrelated processes, so it can cause all manner of seemingly random crashes.
Furthermore, having a new network driver directly affect your machine's
networking is far more understable than having a game update affect anything
other than the game.

> Anyway, I'm arguing with a Steam apologist and there is nothing that I
can
> say that will change your opinion.

Well, I hope that you, or any of the other people I've commented to, don't
regard me as a steam apologist. I do think the system has potential, but is
not without the need for improvement. I was initially very put off by the
thought of having to install it, but have since changed my mind somewhat.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:23:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>"Bazza" <Bazza@privacy.com> wrote in message
news:34kq71F4d1f7fU1@individual.net...
>>"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in part...
>> > There are many other ways to validate my legitimate purchase.
>> >
>> > The point is Valve could make HL2 in various versions, ie.
>> > online/MP only, offline/SP only, both, etc.
>>
>> They have.
>
>Where are they then? The only ones I've seen REQUIRE a internet
>connection to validate my purchase and open a steam A/C. That is
>*NOT* a offline or SP ONLY version of HL2.

The above is a *shining* example of the kind of half truths that
Walter perpetually spits out regarding steam. Another favorite
was that "HL2 does not require an internet connect". He said
that about a week after it came out, and was called on it. I
believe he said something like "you don't need internet to play
it in single player or offline", playing semantic word games.
You definately need the connection to validate and *start*
playing though. So his statement was blatantly false, and
probably deliberate.

I'm glad Walter is continuing to show everyone how deleriously
devoted he is on this subject. He just keeps spinning and telling
half-truths and refusing to accept *any* complaints regarding
steam, on any level. Even to the point that he'll tell baldface
lies to make his point.

>> > I presume that you "like" steam. That's fine by me, but I don't. I'll
>> > install it, tolerate it, but only because I have NO choice and that is
the
>> > real issue here ... NO choice.
>> >
>> Sure you have a choice : don't buy it.
>
>That is just ONE choice and the ONLY choice I have. Valve could have
>easily created other "choices" but choose not to.

I agree. The single player version could have just been like any
other game. CD check and go. They really did think that they
would stop people from pirating with steam, but it didn't. It
actually had the opposite effect, making it easier. As I keep
pointing out, the 50k people who got it for free off Valve's
own servers by exploiting a security loophole. And if you
look at this site:

http://cs.rin.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=9759ef9d0...

You'll see that people are *still* able to do so! It's stunning,
that Steam is so incredibly insecure. Then again, this is the
company that let their source code get stolen.

And yet Walter defends steam as this great and wonderful
thing when it's such a piece of garbage that's full of security
loopholes. He just calls it lies and keeps his head in the sand.
He's the one who keeps lying and is wildly misinformed.

Wildly misinformed Walter. Get out and see the rest of the
world, not just the little corner of it you live in.

>Here's another objection ... their FORCED updates to the game. As I
>understand it, if you don't update, you can't play. Not even in offline
>mode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, that is not true. Once you are enabled for offline mode
it keeps working fine. At least mine does. On more than one
occasion I have been playing in offline mode after a patch was
released. If you think about it, how would it even know if there
is a patch if it's offline? :) 

But it does seem to force the patches on you when you log in.
I've read on the Steam forums from people who are trying to
keep their game from updating because they feel that problems
like the stutter bug get worse with each patch, and after massive
tweaking and configuring they got it smooth, and don't want to
get another patch. And so they put it on "Never update this
game". And yet, it still does.

The above is not my claim. I am just repeating what I read,
it may or may not be true. I'm willing to accept I may be
wrong on that. But if it's true, that's pretty stupid too. Why
even have the option of whether to accept patches or not
when they are forced on you?

>Anyway, I'm arguing with a Steam apologist and there is nothing that I can
>say that will change your opinion. That's your right.
>To put it simply we agree to disagree.

He's more than a steam apologist. He's a liar and incapable
of realizing he is wrong on any level. He's one of those people
that will continue to argue long after they have been beaten, just
because they are in such denial and so full of themselves that
they cannot possibly give in. His point above about how "they
have" (made other versions of the game) is a shining example.
That's a blatant lie, or at the very least, trying to pass off a
half-truth as a fact.

I had a roomate like him once. So annoying. Never ever wrong
about anything, ever. You'd have him completely cornered and
ask some totally ridiculous question that just shows how stupid
his point of view was, and yet he would still say "yes" or "no"
to the question, whichever kept his point of view alive. It was
so stupifying I often had no clue what to say next. What do
you say when someone is sitting in deliberate denial and just
arguing becuase they are determined to never be beaten?

Nothing. You just let them live with their heads in the sand.

I suggest filtering Walter. He's never going to be reasoned
with.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:44:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cs35ii$e9v$01$1@news.t-online.com...
> Bazza wrote:
>
> > Anyway, *I* prefer to just have a offline/SP version and I don't want
> > to have to install some other software simply to play the game that I or
> > my son has legally purchased.
>
> What other SW? Do you feel the same way about most games using directx
> to support them?
>


DirectX is 99% of the time included with the game, and doesn't require you
to have a (preferably) broadband Net connection to use it.

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:46:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Jim Vieira <Whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote:
>
> Wake up Walter!!!!

so after reading your fifth tirade against walter, even though you said
you've killfiled him, it occurs to me that just a few days ago you were
whining about michael vondong and i continually trashing you because we
were supposedly still bitter about previous arguments. and not only are
you guilty of the same, but you seem to be still bitter over previous
roommates as well.

i seriously wonder if there's any element of jim's personality he wont
lash out against when he notices it in other people. the dude's got
issues.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:46:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool wrote:

> i don't like all of my posts being available forever

Gee, I wonder why.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:45:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:12:40 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>If you have not updated Steam in the past week, you wouldn't have
>>noticed that Offline mode was made easier to use, all you have to do now
>>with the latest update is simply press "cancel" when Steam is trying to
>>login, and it will offer you the option to play Offline.
>
>Strange. I just tried that and it doesn't work. I hit Cancel repeatedly and it
>still pops up with my Steam games list. If I hit it before the Cancel text
>turns white the program just quits.

Especially in Steam's case, theory and practise are two wildly
different things. ;-) Just like the previous "offline mode timer"
feature... err, "bug". ;-)

In theory there are no such problems in Steam you are describing.
According to those who never use the offline mode, it works great and
flawlessly. Figures.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:38:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

or what about a program that installs spyware in your computer? Maybe
it's not spyware, but to me, any program that installs something in my
computer that runs at startup and connects to the internet without my
consent is spyware.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:43:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Memnoch wrote:

> Yes but I was trying to point out that no matter what Valve did
> difool would still find fault with it. Kind of like the Opposition
> I guess.

LIAR!!!!
if valve sold hl2 in a cd/dvd without the humiliation of needing to
ask for permission to use it, and made patches available for free in
file format i would stop the complaints all together!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:43:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool wrote:

> LIAR!!!!
> if valve sold hl2 in a cd/dvd without the humiliation of needing to
> ask for permission to use it,

You have to ask for permission to use every game. It's called the End User
License Agreement. If you were a computer owner, you should know that
already.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 3:41:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

EvilBill wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:cs35ii$e9v$01$1@news.t-online.com...
>
>>Bazza wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Anyway, *I* prefer to just have a offline/SP version and I don't want
>>>to have to install some other software simply to play the game that I or
>>>my son has legally purchased.
>>
>>What other SW? Do you feel the same way about most games using directx
>>to support them?
>>
>
>
>
> DirectX is 99% of the time included with the game, and doesn't require you
> to have a (preferably) broadband Net connection to use it.
>

What ever gave you the impressiont that you need a broadband connection
to play HL2? Better : yes. Required : no.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:07:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cs5mq4$s27$00$1@news.t-online.com...
> EvilBill wrote:
> >
> > DirectX is 99% of the time included with the game, and doesn't require
you
> > to have a (preferably) broadband Net connection to use it.
>
> What ever gave you the impressiont that you need a broadband connection
> to play HL2? Better : yes. Required : no.

Well I don't know how big the download is for updating Steam and so forth,
but considering that somewhere else in this thread it was referred to as
'bloatware', I think it might take some considerable time on dial-up. Since
I'm on a Surftime ISP, I get disconnected automatically every two hours...

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
January 13, 2005 8:14:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:07:58 -0000, "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Well I don't know how big the download is for updating Steam and so forth,
>but considering that somewhere else in this thread it was referred to as
>'bloatware', I think it might take some considerable time on dial-up. Since
>I'm on a Surftime ISP, I get disconnected automatically every two hours...

That is another advantage of Steam, it will download what it needs in
the background and takes disconnections in its stride.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 9:15:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Vader des Vaderlands wrote:
>
>> Sure when a product causes trouble and flat out refuses to work on
>> some machines people have a right to complain until either it is
>> fixed
>
> again, i don't think you are seeing clearly
> valve with steam put aside gamers without internet connection period
> this is not "product causes trouble", this is a product which valve
> decided could not function with a particular group of gamers
> but is there REAL reasons for internet required in single-player hl2?
> NO! there isn't!!!
> to REALLY play hl2 you need a p4, lots of ram and a hardware graphic
> accelerator, but NOT INTERNET ACCESS!!!
> so valve decided to completely neglect a group of gamers only so they
> can apply a plan to simply give them more power and make them more
> money
> do they have the right? off course they have!
> do WE the gamers who have been put aside have the right to flame
> valve? off course WE have!
> f* valve a million times its what i say!

yeah and you've told us that about a million times

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:26:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:43:07 +0000, difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt>
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Memnoch wrote:
>
>> Yes but I was trying to point out that no matter what Valve did
>> difool would still find fault with it. Kind of like the Opposition
>> I guess.
>
>LIAR!!!!
>if valve sold hl2 in a cd/dvd without the humiliation of needing to
>ask for permission to use it, and made patches available for free in
>file format i would stop the complaints all together!

Liar? Flat out wrong maybe but not a liar. Could you not just imagine that
they had done that and stop the complaints anyway. Pretty please? :-)
January 13, 2005 11:37:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:
> or what about a program that installs spyware in your computer? Maybe
> it's not spyware, but to me, any program that installs something in my
> computer that runs at startup and connects to the internet without my
> consent is spyware.
>

I presume you are referring to Steam? It does neither of those things.


--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
January 14, 2005 1:04:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:42:57 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>>You posted a top 10 things against Steam on a web site even though you've
>
>i didn't "posted" on a web site, its just "talkaboutcomputing.com" archive
>all the messages we have been posting here, which frankly i don't think its
>a good idea... i don't like all of my posts being available forever


Well Google has them also.
according to google you have
author:john.difool. has 5,050 post to usenet.
I didn't read them all ;) 
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:42:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, noone@nowhere.com wrote:

> Well Google has them also.
> according to google you have
> author:john.difool. has 5,050 post to usenet.
> I didn't read them all ;) 

"john difool" is a relatively famous name, a little bit like
"bj blazkowictz" for pc games, so if its only it i don't worry
but if its also my full email address then i probably must change
alias and email addresses here in the usenet
thats the biggest cons about usenet, anyone can use your email
address to post and spam

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:42:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

> You have to ask for permission to use every game. It's called the End User
> License Agreement. If you were a computer owner, you should know that
> already.

don't manipulate!!!! don't try it again!
is it the only thing you have left?

don't EVER "compare":
during a game installation having to "click" with my mouse in a button
which says "i accept"
to
.. requiring my gaming pc to have a internet connection
.. requiring my gaming pc to be connected to the internet when installing
.. require myself to contact the publisher via internet and ask him
specifically if i can use a game i've just bought and wait patiently
for a reply which can take more than one hour!!!!
.. having to renew this humiliating "ask for permission" at specific times
decided by the publisher
.. and knowing each time i launch the game i can see the message "sorry
but this game is no longer available to play"

no mr hank its not remotely the same!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
!