I need the Recovery Console. How do I get the Windows Star..

I have a Toshiba notebook running Windows XP. Within the past week, I've
been infected by the Notify Dll Hijacker. Symptoms include home page being
re-directed, continuous irritating pop-ups, software automatically being
downloaded to my computer, shortcuts automatically appearing on my desktop,
other hijackers being let in through the hole, system crashes and fatal
errors, non-stop 100% CPU usage, and constant IE or Netscape Navigator
crashes while surfing. The Notify Dll hijacker was diagnosed by the
Adwareaway software download (www. adwareaway.com). According to Adwareaway,
the only effective way of removing this hijacker is via the Windows Recovery
Console.

Unfortunately, I did not receive a Windows Startup disk with my Toshiba
laptop (I purchased the computer directly from Toshiba with Windows XP
Pre-installed). The laptop came with three recovery CDs, none which seem to
contain a recovery console (And I assume I will be forced to use these three
disks as a last resort if all else fails).

I've found many web references as to HOW to install the Recovery Console
once you have the Windows Startup CD. But how do you initially OBTAIN the CD
(If one did not arrive with your computer from the manufacturer?) Do I
contact Microsoft or Toshiba? How much would a 'replacement' Windows XP
Startup CD cost?

Thanks
--
C. Hoff (Typing from a friend's computer!)

Toshiba.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"C Hoff" <CHoff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:442AF6FB-E9B2-4289-A9B1-1F30CE370FF3@microsoft.com...
|I have a Toshiba notebook running Windows XP. Within the past week, I've
| been infected by the Notify Dll Hijacker. Symptoms include home page being
| re-directed, continuous irritating pop-ups, software automatically being
| downloaded to my computer, shortcuts automatically appearing on my desktop,
| other hijackers being let in through the hole, system crashes and fatal
| errors, non-stop 100% CPU usage, and constant IE or Netscape Navigator
| crashes while surfing. The Notify Dll hijacker was diagnosed by the
| Adwareaway software download (www. adwareaway.com). According to Adwareaway,
| the only effective way of removing this hijacker is via the Windows Recovery
| Console.
|
| Unfortunately, I did not receive a Windows Startup disk with my Toshiba
| laptop (I purchased the computer directly from Toshiba with Windows XP
| Pre-installed). The laptop came with three recovery CDs, none which seem to
| contain a recovery console (And I assume I will be forced to use these three
| disks as a last resort if all else fails).
|
| I've found many web references as to HOW to install the Recovery Console
| once you have the Windows Startup CD. But how do you initially OBTAIN the CD
| (If one did not arrive with your computer from the manufacturer?) Do I
| contact Microsoft or Toshiba? How much would a 'replacement' Windows XP
| Startup CD cost?
|
| Thanks
| --
| C. Hoff (Typing from a friend's computer!)

map

"C Hoff" wrote:

> I have a Toshiba notebook running Windows XP. Within the past week, I've
> been infected by the Notify Dll Hijacker. Symptoms include home page being
> re-directed, continuous irritating pop-ups, software automatically being
> downloaded to my computer, shortcuts automatically appearing on my desktop,
> other hijackers being let in through the hole, system crashes and fatal
> errors, non-stop 100% CPU usage, and constant IE or Netscape Navigator
> crashes while surfing. The Notify Dll hijacker was diagnosed by the
> Adwareaway software download (www. adwareaway.com). According to Adwareaway,
> the only effective way of removing this hijacker is via the Windows Recovery
> Console.
>
> Unfortunately, I did not receive a Windows Startup disk with my Toshiba
> laptop (I purchased the computer directly from Toshiba with Windows XP
> Pre-installed). The laptop came with three recovery CDs, none which seem to
> contain a recovery console (And I assume I will be forced to use these three
> disks as a last resort if all else fails).
>
> I've found many web references as to HOW to install the Recovery Console
> once you have the Windows Startup CD. But how do you initially OBTAIN the CD
> (If one did not arrive with your computer from the manufacturer?) Do I
> contact Microsoft or Toshiba? How much would a 'replacement' Windows XP
> Startup CD cost?
>
> Thanks
> --
> C. Hoff (Typing from a friend's computer!)

Before you do that, try another scumware scanner here is a link for a free
30 trial of spysweeper give it a shot.
http://www.webroot.com/downloads/?WRSID=4292e15ecc18fb6e791113f92ae51a61