svchost on 99%

Mike

Splendid

plz help me. the process "svchost.exe" is taking all the CPU with 99%. It is
a SYSTEM process and when i close it windows makes a 50 sec countdown on
restaring itself.
please help.

1) Download the following three items...

McAfee Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend signature files.

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt434.zip

SYSCLEAN.COM.

2) Disable System Restore
3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
4) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Stinger, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors found
5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both.
6) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
(e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
7) Reboot your PC.
8) Create a new Restore point

Dave

| plz help me. the process "svchost.exe" is taking all the CPU with 99%. It is
| a SYSTEM process and when i close it windows makes a 50 sec countdown on
| restaring itself.
| please help.

Mike

Splendid

thank you for posting David, but it didnt help. i have downloaded the tools,
scanned my pc with the "stinger" and "sysclean" and found no viruses. This
time it was all normal for almost 1 day (pc was connected to internet all the
time) but suddenly "svchost" went 99%. I just don't know what do do anymore ..

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> 1) Download the following three items...
>
> McAfee Stinger
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
>
> Trend Sysclean Package
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>
> Latest Trend signature files.
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
>
> Create a directory.
> On drive "C:\"
> (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
> or the desktop
> (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
>
> Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
> Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
> For example; lpt434.zip
>
> Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
> SYSCLEAN.COM.
>
> 2) Disable System Restore
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm
> 3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
> 4) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Stinger, perform a Full Scan of your
> platform and clean/delete any infectors found
> 5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both.
> 6) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
> (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
> 7) Reboot your PC.
> 8) Create a new Restore point
>

> * * * Please report back your results * * *
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | plz help me. the process "svchost.exe" is taking all the CPU with 99%. It is
> | a SYSTEM process and when i close it windows makes a 50 sec countdown on
> | restaring itself.
> | please help.

Malke

Mike wrote:

> thank you for posting David, but it didnt help. i have downloaded the
> tools, scanned my pc with the "stinger" and "sysclean" and found no
> viruses. This time it was all normal for almost 1 day (pc was
> connected to internet all the time) but suddenly "svchost" went 99%. I
> just don't know what do do anymore ..

Since you've already scanned - in Safe Mode, presumably - with the tools
that David suggested, continue scanning for non-viral malware. Do
everything with updated tools in Safe Mode. After you've done this, if
your computer is clean and the problem persists, look in Event Viewer
for clues (Start>Run eventvwr.msc [enter]) and try a clean boot in case
this is a legitimate program or process that isn't working properly.

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353

Remove malware:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions. NOTE: if you don't have a
full-featured av installed, get one, install it and update its
definitions. The av tools David gave you are a *first-line* defense.
You *must* have an av installed on your hard drive.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
novices should get help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Links to help with malware:

Software/Methods:
http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy