Cannot open control panel

I click on Control Pamel and get the hour glass and then the hour glass
disappears and then my cursur will no longer work when I click on any thing.
I think some kinda of virus has taken over my computer. I H ave run Pest
Control, Adaware amd McAfee virus scan to no avail. I keep getting the
following message on startup: Error has occurred with the "Dr Watson
Postmortum Debuuger" I am not sure but I think that is the culprit. Can
anyone help?
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot open control panel

    Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    Item #256 (Restore the Control Panel).

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Gene" wrote:

    | I click on Control Pamel and get the hour glass and then the hour glass
    | disappears and then my cursur will no longer work when I click on any thing.
    | I think some kinda of virus has taken over my computer. I H ave run Pest
    | Control, Adaware amd McAfee virus scan to no avail. I keep getting the
    | following message on startup: Error has occurred with the "Dr Watson
    | Postmortum Debuuger" I am not sure but I think that is the culprit. Can
    | anyone help?

    entered the address in various search engines, plus clicking on address in
    your response to me and keep getting the message page not availaqble, etc.

    Gene wrote:

    > entered the address in various search engines, plus clicking on
    > address in your response to me and keep getting the message page not
    > availaqble, etc.
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
    >> to Item #256 (Restore the Control Panel).

    The link works fine from here, so I must conclude that there is
    something amiss with your computer. Even though you've already done
    some scanning, I would run through the following malware removal steps
    again. It is crucial that you do all work with updated tools in Safe
    Mode:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
    can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy