FTP Server access with the SP2 firewall on

Hello

Some of you may have heard of this already, but here is a question on how to
access an FTP server with the Windows XP SP2 firewall on. Microsoft has some
tutorials for the various workarounds, but the step by step directions do not
work. Has any one got this to work without turning the firewall off. FTP
willwork then...

Thanks

- Jason Watkins

Jay,
Do you have Norton Antivirus installed? I had the same problem with their
internet worm protection which is acting as a second firewall. You must go
into the antivirus options and in Internet Worm protection, in Program Rules
add the program c:\windows\system32\alg.exe and set to automatic. That should
allow FTP to work to download files with Firewall enabled.

Mike

"JaySwigga" wrote:

> Hello
>
> Some of you may have heard of this already, but here is a question on how to
> access an FTP server with the Windows XP SP2 firewall on. Microsoft has some
> tutorials for the various workarounds, but the step by step directions do not
> work. Has any one got this to work without turning the firewall off. FTP
> willwork then...
>
> Thanks
>
> - Jason Watkins

Hello

I have McAfee installed, that is a first for me. I am normally a norton
guy, but I have seen too many infections while Norton is on watch. So I
switched. Thanks for you help.

- Jason

"MichaelM" wrote:

> Jay,
> Do you have Norton Antivirus installed? I had the same problem with their
> internet worm protection which is acting as a second firewall. You must go
> into the antivirus options and in Internet Worm protection, in Program Rules
> add the program c:\windows\system32\alg.exe and set to automatic. That should
> allow FTP to work to download files with Firewall enabled.
>
> Mike
>

> "JaySwigga" wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Some of you may have heard of this already, but here is a question on how to
> > access an FTP server with the Windows XP SP2 firewall on. Microsoft has some
> > tutorials for the various workarounds, but the step by step directions do not
> > work. Has any one got this to work without turning the firewall off. FTP
> > willwork then...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > - Jason Watkins

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:FB2F5B37-D6F9-4311-9508-E86F9DA64558@microsoft.com,
JaySwigga <jasonwatkins@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> Hello
>
> Some of you may have heard of this already, but here is a question on
> how to access an FTP server with the Windows XP SP2 firewall on.
> Microsoft has some tutorials for the various workarounds, but the
> step by step directions do not work. Has any one got this to work
> without turning the firewall off. FTP willwork then...
>
> Thanks
>
> - Jason Watkins

Are you trying to access it with Internet Explorer? If so then you can try
to open IE, click tools, click options, click advanced, click use passive,
and apply. That *should* fix it. If you're using a third party application
then you'll need to read in the help how to enable it. It's also called PASV
at times if you can't find it in the help under passive.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

I said "the hell with it", let's give it a reboot, and it seemed t owork with
that from IE and Firefox. Thanks, I'll try your suggestion out...

- Jason

In news:A642875E-564A-4402-B5C8-01848F47447B@microsoft.com,
JaySwigga <jasonwatkins@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> I said "the hell with it", let's give it a reboot, and it seemed t
> owork with that from IE and Firefox. Thanks, I'll try your
> suggestion out...

So long as it works is all that matters :)

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Thank you so much!! I've been trying all kinds of fixes listed on other
message boards.. this finally worked!