tlntsvr.exe -- It's posible to change the port service?

a b 8 Security
February 22, 2005 7:27:04 PM

Hi! all community, my question is if it's possible to change the default port
23 of tlntsvr.exe to other of my convenience in order to avoid possible risks
of attacks from Internet.

Thanks!!
JP
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 22, 2005 11:21:10 PM

If you did the client would have to match the protocol. Both the Client and the Server
*must* agree to use the same protocol. It is often hard-coded.

--
Dave

"Jean Pierre Martínez" <Jean Pierre Martnez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi! all community, my question is if it's possible to change the default port
| 23 of tlntsvr.exe to other of my convenience in order to avoid possible risks
| of attacks from Internet.
|
| Thanks!!
| JP
February 23, 2005 6:55:43 AM

Jean Pierre Martínez@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in this message

> Hi! all community, my question is if it's possible to change the
> default port 23 of tlntsvr.exe to other of my convenience in order to
> avoid possible risks of attacks from Internet.
>
> Thanks!!
> JP

If you run the TLNTADMN program you can change the listening port from 23
to one of your convenience.

Please be aware that this would only defeat the lowliest hacker, the
majority of scanner tools will spot the ms telnet service running on an
alternate port.

Cheers

Steve
!