XP sp2 and FTP help

I am having difficulty using an FTP client program on a workstation once
XP SP2 is installed. Yes I know the firewall may block ports, I don't
think that's the problem.

This FTP client program is in-house developed, and runs as a service.
Its job is to back up some key files to an FTP server when the
workstation boots. The service is configured to start automatically,
and it does. When the FTP client program starts up, it attempts its FTP
job, but fails during the send, hangs for eactly 5 minutes then quits.

The strange thing is, if I manually double click the FTP client program
exe program to start it up, it runs fine. Also, if I manually start the
service from control panel, it runs fine. It only fails when the
service is set to start automatically. I have tried running the service
as system account, also as local admin account.

All of this is done with the XP firewall turned OFF. Because of this,
and because the process works when started manually, I suspect the
firewall is not to blame.

This in-house FTP client program was developed using VB6, runs as a
service under srvany.exe and uses the MS Inet control to perform the FTP.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rhett Shoemaker
spam1@kuringconsulting.net <- actual email address
3 answers Last reply
More about help

    There are multiple levels of having Windows Firewall off. There's the level
    where one selects the Off option in the UI, then there is the disabling of
    the firewall service itself. While a computer boots there is a non-trivial
    time between when the tcpip services are able to provide network
    connectivity and when Windows Firewall is fully loaded with its assigned
    configuration. In xpsp2 the firewall service will provide what we term
    boot-time security. This is fairly close to the post-boot-time behavior one
    gets when setting the firewall to not allow exceptions.

    My suspicion is that your ftp client is being blocked during those inital
    handful of seconds and isn't able to recover. By the time you've gotten to a
    desktop to test it, you're past boot-time and the firewall configuration has
    set the firewall to not do anything.

    To rectify the situation you could update the ftp client to delay its
    activities or disable the firewall service.

    --
    David
    Microsoft Windows Networking

    "R Shoemaker" <rsho@northpole.com> wrote in message

    > I am having difficulty using an FTP client program on a workstation once
    > XP SP2 is installed. Yes I know the firewall may block ports, I don't
    > think that's the problem.
    >
    > This FTP client program is in-house developed, and runs as a service. Its
    > job is to back up some key files to an FTP server when the workstation
    > boots. The service is configured to start automatically, and it does.
    > When the FTP client program starts up, it attempts its FTP job, but fails
    > during the send, hangs for eactly 5 minutes then quits.
    >
    > The strange thing is, if I manually double click the FTP client program
    > exe program to start it up, it runs fine. Also, if I manually start the
    > service from control panel, it runs fine. It only fails when the service
    > is set to start automatically. I have tried running the service as system
    > account, also as local admin account.
    >
    > All of this is done with the XP firewall turned OFF. Because of this, and
    > because the process works when started manually, I suspect the firewall is
    > not to blame.
    >
    > This in-house FTP client program was developed using VB6, runs as a
    > service under srvany.exe and uses the MS Inet control to perform the FTP.
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Rhett Shoemaker
    > spam1@kuringconsulting.net <- actual email address

    Create a service account for it on the FTP server, and grant the account the
    "log on as a service" right. It sounds like a permissions issue...

    - Jason Watkins

    "R Shoemaker" wrote:

    > I am having difficulty using an FTP client program on a workstation once
    > XP SP2 is installed. Yes I know the firewall may block ports, I don't
    > think that's the problem.
    >
    > This FTP client program is in-house developed, and runs as a service.
    > Its job is to back up some key files to an FTP server when the
    > workstation boots. The service is configured to start automatically,
    > and it does. When the FTP client program starts up, it attempts its FTP
    > job, but fails during the send, hangs for eactly 5 minutes then quits.
    >
    > The strange thing is, if I manually double click the FTP client program
    > exe program to start it up, it runs fine. Also, if I manually start the
    > service from control panel, it runs fine. It only fails when the
    > service is set to start automatically. I have tried running the service
    > as system account, also as local admin account.
    >
    > All of this is done with the XP firewall turned OFF. Because of this,
    > and because the process works when started manually, I suspect the
    > firewall is not to blame.
    >
    > This in-house FTP client program was developed using VB6, runs as a
    > service under srvany.exe and uses the MS Inet control to perform the FTP.
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Rhett Shoemaker
    > spam1@kuringconsulting.net <- actual email address

    This was the correct answer. Thank you.

    Rhett

    David Beder [MSFT] wrote:

    > To rectify the situation you could update the ftp client to delay its
    > activities or disable the firewall service.

FTP Windows XP