XP sp2 and FTP help

February 23, 2005 9:12:46 AM

I am having difficulty using an FTP client program on a workstation once
XP SP2 is installed. Yes I know the firewall may block ports, I don't
think that's the problem.

This FTP client program is in-house developed, and runs as a service.
Its job is to back up some key files to an FTP server when the
workstation boots. The service is configured to start automatically,
and it does. When the FTP client program starts up, it attempts its FTP
job, but fails during the send, hangs for eactly 5 minutes then quits.

The strange thing is, if I manually double click the FTP client program
exe program to start it up, it runs fine. Also, if I manually start the
service from control panel, it runs fine. It only fails when the
service is set to start automatically. I have tried running the service
as system account, also as local admin account.

All of this is done with the XP firewall turned OFF. Because of this,
and because the process works when started manually, I suspect the
firewall is not to blame.

This in-house FTP client program was developed using VB6, runs as a
service under srvany.exe and uses the MS Inet control to perform the FTP.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rhett Shoemaker
spam1@kuringconsulting.net <- actual email address

More about : sp2 ftp

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 9:12:47 AM

There are multiple levels of having Windows Firewall off. There's the level
where one selects the Off option in the UI, then there is the disabling of
the firewall service itself. While a computer boots there is a non-trivial
time between when the tcpip services are able to provide network
connectivity and when Windows Firewall is fully loaded with its assigned
configuration. In xpsp2 the firewall service will provide what we term
boot-time security. This is fairly close to the post-boot-time behavior one
gets when setting the firewall to not allow exceptions.

My suspicion is that your ftp client is being blocked during those inital
handful of seconds and isn't able to recover. By the time you've gotten to a
desktop to test it, you're past boot-time and the firewall configuration has
set the firewall to not do anything.

To rectify the situation you could update the ftp client to delay its
activities or disable the firewall service.

--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking

"R Shoemaker" <rsho@northpole.com> wrote in message

> I am having difficulty using an FTP client program on a workstation once
> XP SP2 is installed. Yes I know the firewall may block ports, I don't
> think that's the problem.
>
> This FTP client program is in-house developed, and runs as a service. Its
> job is to back up some key files to an FTP server when the workstation
> boots. The service is configured to start automatically, and it does.
> When the FTP client program starts up, it attempts its FTP job, but fails
> during the send, hangs for eactly 5 minutes then quits.
>
> The strange thing is, if I manually double click the FTP client program
> exe program to start it up, it runs fine. Also, if I manually start the
> service from control panel, it runs fine. It only fails when the service
> is set to start automatically. I have tried running the service as system
> account, also as local admin account.
>
> All of this is done with the XP firewall turned OFF. Because of this, and
> because the process works when started manually, I suspect the firewall is
> not to blame.
>
> This in-house FTP client program was developed using VB6, runs as a
> service under srvany.exe and uses the MS Inet control to perform the FTP.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Rhett Shoemaker
> spam1@kuringconsulting.net <- actual email address

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 9:12:47 AM

Create a service account for it on the FTP server, and grant the account the
"log on as a service" right. It sounds like a permissions issue...

- Jason Watkins

"R Shoemaker" wrote:

> I am having difficulty using an FTP client program on a workstation once
> XP SP2 is installed. Yes I know the firewall may block ports, I don't
> think that's the problem.
>
> This FTP client program is in-house developed, and runs as a service.
> Its job is to back up some key files to an FTP server when the
> workstation boots. The service is configured to start automatically,
> and it does. When the FTP client program starts up, it attempts its FTP
> job, but fails during the send, hangs for eactly 5 minutes then quits.
>
> The strange thing is, if I manually double click the FTP client program
> exe program to start it up, it runs fine. Also, if I manually start the
> service from control panel, it runs fine. It only fails when the
> service is set to start automatically. I have tried running the service
> as system account, also as local admin account.
>
> All of this is done with the XP firewall turned OFF. Because of this,
> and because the process works when started manually, I suspect the
> firewall is not to blame.
>
> This in-house FTP client program was developed using VB6, runs as a
> service under srvany.exe and uses the MS Inet control to perform the FTP.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Rhett Shoemaker
> spam1@kuringconsulting.net <- actual email address

Anonymous