Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HL1 Multi-player question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 11, 2005 2:23:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

My son brought HL1 and HL2 the other day.

I installed HL1 v1.0.0.9 and then v1.1.1.0 update or patch. Haven't installed
HL2 yet.

No problems playing HL1 in single-player mode but when we try MP mode, it
connects to Valve, steam or whatever and we get a response saying the game
is "out of date" ... tell me something new, of course it's "out-of-date". HL1 has
access to the net through the FW. Checked the log and nothing being blocked.

Clicking OK does nothing, clicking Cancel does nothing. The list of available
servers is empty.

Can HL1 be played in MP mode? If so, how?

PS. I don't have a steam A/C, I was expecting that I might be requested to do
so when HL1 connected to the net the 1st time.

PPS. We are in Australia.

Cheers
Barry...
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:23:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

This happened to me when I re-installed HL1 with a view of getting back into
the swing when I got HL2.

You need a Steam account.

Create the account then steam will update HL1 (not the patch you were
referring to) and allow you to play in MP mode. Without the Steam account I
just couldn't go MP, with it it was no problem.

Alun
January 11, 2005 10:11:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Alun Williams" <news@(removetoreply)big-al.me.uk> wrote...
> This happened to me when I re-installed HL1 with a view of getting back into
> the swing when I got HL2.
>
> You need a Steam account.
>
> Create the account then steam will update HL1 (not the patch you were
> referring to) and allow you to play in MP mode. Without the Steam account I
> just couldn't go MP, with it it was no problem.
>
> Alun
>

Alun thanks the reply.

OK I very much a newbie with HL1, HL2 or steam. Personally I don't play
any games just make sure that the rest of the family don't screw up the PC.

Anyway, if I go the steam website and download the steam installer, install it
and open an A/C, will that stuff up the install of HL2 in any way? Or will the
install of HL2 stuff up the steam pgm that I've installed ... I assuming here that
HL2 does install the steam code.

Thanks for your help
Barry...
Related resources
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:11:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Bazza" <Bazza@privacy.com> wrote in message
news:34hg1oF4ara7kU1@individual.net...
"Alun Williams" <news@(removetoreply)big-al.me.uk> wrote...
> This happened to me when I re-installed HL1 with a view of getting back
> into
> the swing when I got HL2.
>
> You need a Steam account.
>
> Create the account then steam will update HL1 (not the patch you were
> referring to) and allow you to play in MP mode. Without the Steam account
> I
> just couldn't go MP, with it it was no problem.
>
> Alun
>

>Alun thanks the reply.
>
>OK I very much a newbie with HL1, HL2 or steam. Personally I don't play
>any games just make sure that the rest of the family don't screw up the PC.
>
>Anyway, if I go the steam website and download the steam installer, install
>it
>and open an A/C, will that stuff up the install of HL2 in any way? Or will
>the
>install of HL2 stuff up the steam pgm that I've installed ... I assuming
>here that
>HL2 does install the steam code.
>
>Thanks for your help
>Barry...

I did things in exactly the order you are describing above with no problem
whatsoever. I don't know whether HL2 does install the steam code but it made
no difference to me. This is what I did.

Installed HL1 and played but couldn't get the online servers to work.

Installed the patch... still no joy.

Installed steam. HL1 updated over steam (and downloaded other free games
also though this is optional). Could now play online no problem.

Got HL2 for Xmas. Installed no problem. Connects to Steam to register the
game and add it to your account (which you'd already created for HL1),
decrypt the files and update the game and you're away.

I personally have had no trouble whatsoever with Steam but others here will
tell you different. I do have a broadband connection which makes life easier
and quicker (the HL1 download is quite large... especially if you download
the other games also) but even then some people with broadband have still
experience problems.

Just bear in mind you will not be able to play HL1 online until it has been
full updated. In your games list right click on the game and go for
properties. You will not be able to play until it reads...

Amount Acquired: 100%
Status: Ready to play

Hope this helps

Alun
January 11, 2005 11:23:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Alun Williams" <news@(removetoreply)big-al.me.uk> wrote...
>
> I did things in exactly the order you are describing above with no problem
> whatsoever. I don't know whether HL2 does install the steam code but it made
> no difference to me. This is what I did.
>
> Installed HL1 and played but couldn't get the online servers to work.
>
> Installed the patch... still no joy.
>
> Installed steam. HL1 updated over steam (and downloaded other free games
> also though this is optional). Could now play online no problem.
>
> Got HL2 for Xmas. Installed no problem. Connects to Steam to register the
> game and add it to your account (which you'd already created for HL1),
> decrypt the files and update the game and you're away.
>
> I personally have had no trouble whatsoever with Steam but others here will
> tell you different. I do have a broadband connection which makes life easier
> and quicker (the HL1 download is quite large... especially if you download
> the other games also) but even then some people with broadband have still
> experience problems.
>
> Just bear in mind you will not be able to play HL1 online until it has been
> full updated. In your games list right click on the game and go for
> properties. You will not be able to play until it reads...
>
> Amount Acquired: 100%
> Status: Ready to play
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Alun
>

Thanks again. I'll give it go at the W/E after I've taken a image backup of my
C_Drive ... just in case.

I'm not a fan of DRM but I can understand software companies wanting to
protect their works. I would, however, very much prefer to be able to
download the updates and install them "offline". Oh well ....

I also have a cable connection but here in Oz it can still be problematic getting
the game and/or steam updates at times according to some local websites.

Cheers
Barry...
!